Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a request for a DIY article. I found some H11 lamps that I like and am not committed to buying HID's at this point in time. Does anyone know how to go about using an H11 lamp in place of an H11B? I would prefer to make the modifications on the lamp rather than on the headlight housing. I have read some articles on other forums, but they were not very descriptive and/or about other cars.

Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Should be able to find an adapter or make one. Use some wire, male and female connectors. Female at the H11 bulb and male at the stock H11B connector.

·
Registered
348 Posts
- Buy a pair of H11 pigtails from your local GM dealer or eBay.
- Remove the headlight housings from the car
- Remove the round dust cap on the rear of the headlights.
- Unscrew the ONE screw holding H11B the connectors in and then replace the screw (so it's there if you ever revert the system)
- Let that H11B connector just fall into the housing. It won't go far but it'll stay out of the way.
- Install your bulbs.
- Plug in the pigtails, run the wires out the air vent, and scotch-clip them to the red and yellow and black wires in the six-pin headlight harness. The red wire is on the driver's side, the yellow is on the passenger's. Feel free to NOT take my word for it... use a multimeter or test light to verify operation for yourself.
- Tape up the connectors and replace the dust cap.
- Replace the housings into the car, ensuring they snap into the holders, and the two bolts are tight.
- Aim your headlights...

This should take all of 30-45 minutes to do, start to finish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dad is the one who owns the forte, but I'm active on a few other hyundai boards. A friend of mine bought a sonanta that also takes h11b bulbs. By simply removing the tabs from one side of the connector h11 bulbs could be used. While I cannot look at the fortes headlights to see if the same technique will work I have included the link to his post (with pictures) below.

Munky's '09 F24S

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the main issue is that on H11 bulbs the connectors sit like this = and have a black plastic piece surrounding the connectors and on the H11B they sit like this || with nothing surrounding them. I am going to try the pigtail technique I think. Or just shell out and do the whole HID conversion with H11B's.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My dad is the one who owns the forte, but I'm active on a few other hyundai boards. A friend of mine bought a sonanta that also takes h11b bulbs. By simply removing the tabs from one side of the connector h11 bulbs could be used. While I cannot look at the fortes headlights to see if the same technique will work I have included the link to his post (with pictures) below.

Munky's '09 F24S
From experience, there is no need to modify the headlight housing or the bulbs. H11's and H11B's have the same base.

You would only need to make a pig tail wiring harness/jumper wires for the connections. The jumper wires are already there when switching to an HID kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
348 Posts
The connector for the H11B that sits just below the socket interferes with my H11 HID bulbs, so I would assume that the same would happen with an H11 halogen bulb. This connector would need to be removed, which is one single screw for each side.

As for plugging in leads to the existing H11B connector, I would worry about them bouncing loose on our marvellously terrible roads. Not seen any reports of this happening on here, but it's a possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
i did the little mod the same thing that kennyC did and secured it with shrink tape. i havnt had any problems yet so far and in the city, San Antonio roads suck so i think it should be fine. gunna be swapping out my bulbs pretty soon so ima have to undo it, and then redo the mod but its not big of a hassle. idk if problem has been resolved but here are the diff bases. #1 is h11b and #2 is h11

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
Those look completely different. I was under the impression their is a very slight difference...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
They fit the same plug in and twist design, it is just the connectors make contact when you twist on the H11b and the H11 you have to plug in the wiring after slotting the bulb.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The connector for the H11B that sits just below the socket interferes with my H11 HID bulbs, so I would assume that the same would happen with an H11 halogen bulb. This connector would need to be removed, which is one single screw for each side.

As for plugging in leads to the existing H11B connector, I would worry about them bouncing loose on our marvellously terrible roads. Not seen any reports of this happening on here, but it's a possibility.
If this didn't happen to me while being assaulted by Toronto potholes, I don't see it ever happening.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I ended up doing to mod from H11B to H11. I bought the H11 pigtails and some 6000K H11 bulbs. In order to get the H11 pigtails to fit I had to use angle cutters and remove ALL of the the excess plastic around them. I used wire tap ins to tap the wires of the pigtails into the existing H11 connector. I removed the one screw holding the H11B connector in place and pushed the stock connector and the wire taps deep into the headlight housing so that they were out of the way. I connected the H11 lights to the H11 connector that I modified. I literally had to shove the connector in to get the bulb and the connector to fit. Once I got past this point I spun the bulb in place and closed everything up. The lights look great and it only took me about 30 minutes to do both lights. I will post pictures once I get my fog lights and LED 2357 turn signals put in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the car so far. Still waiting on the white 2357 parking lights.
Put in H11 6000K bulbs for low beams and 5000K bulbs or fog lights.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How did you connect your pigtails? can you take some pics and try and be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you connect your pigtails? can you take some pics and try and be as descriptive as possible.

Thanks
I would like to take pictures, but it was so difficult to get the pigtails to fit that I do not want to take it out and try to put them back in again.

I used basic 3M wire tap ins to connect the pigtails to the stock wiring. I used the tap ins right next to where the stock H11B connector is inside of the dust cover. It does not matter which wire connects to which since both wires on the stock wiring are yellow and both on the pigtails are black. I just stuffed all the extra wiring and the original H11B connector deep into the headlight housing. The most important and hardest part of the install is cutting off every single bit of excess plastic off of the H11 pig tails so that you can plug the connector into the lamp and then put the lamp into the socket and twist it into locking position.

When I get home I am going to be putting white parking lights in, so I will take off the dust cover to the low beams and try to get as many pictures as possible.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some pictures. The first one points out some things and the rest are just some different angles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW- This method did not require me to damage any of the stock headlight assembly what so ever. The dust cover even fits back on properly. So if I ever want to go back to H11B all I would have to do is remove the pigtails and screw the stock H11B connector back into position.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Help with H11 bulb install

I thought I would try this modification on my Australia Cerato/Forte but when I removed the the headlight assembly and took dust cap off I notice that the whole light assembly is different to that of the US Forte.
It appears that in the US Forte the H11b bulbs and the H11's will fit in by just inserting and twisting the globe. On the Aussie Forte the globe is held in by a stupid wire clamp set up. I ended up shortening up the end of the H11's that the electrical wire connect in to, so that this would fit into the space provided and not hit the wire clamp fastener.
Well lights are fitted and work well much whiter in appearance but the low beam lights (H11's) are now shooting far too high and blinding on coming cars. I don't know why as only the bulb was changed I never touched the height adjustment screw, I just hope I can lower the lights again by altering this screw.
There's 2 things I'm thinking that might have changed the lights focus, #1 the different length of new H11 Bulb #2 Because I removed the light assembly from the car.
Has anyone else that has done this mod have to end up re-adjusting their lights ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts