Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about doing something about this boring old exhaust that I have on my 2.4L Koup. After searching, watching, reading and re-watching, I've narrowed my options down to a simple resonator delete while keeping stock exhaust in tact or just doing a full muffler delete while keeping the resonator and cat in tact.

One thing that concerns me is after I remove the resonator, will it trip the check engine light? I've read that removing the cat will activate the check engine light because it has a built in sensor. Another thing that I'm wondering about is how loud a 2.4L would be without the stock muffler.

These are the videos that I'm going off of:

Resonator delete and CAI:

Muffler delete:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Remove the muffler: Fuggin loud as shit.
Remove the resonator and replace the muffler: raspy as shit.
Remove just the resonator and leave stock muffler: not much difference.
Remove both: FAAAARRRRRTTTT

Really the only thing that will trip the CEL is if you remove the cat.

·
Registered
831 Posts
i'd recommend just removing the muffler, loud is better than rasp. I was planning on doing a muffler delete on my quad system, but I've ordered a HFC so im happy :)

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
or dont go chepo,and get a real exhaust and keep your oem exhaust as a back up. i went down the same about a year ago too loud. i could never talk on the phone or have a convo with a passenger with out yelling

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
My dual exhaust is unbalanced and does half to the stock muffler and half out straight pipe. Love the sounds.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In the first video that I posted, I didn't take the CAI sound into consideration. At the time, I thought that the removal of the resonator caused that amazing sound. It's a little too late to go back now, as I've already had a shop remove the resonator. To sum it all up, I'm disappointed. Removing the resonator doesn't make much of a difference at all. To me, it's still super quiet.

A little later on, I might just have the resonator put back on and get a CAI or I might just do the muffler delete since I haven't seen a muffler delete video done on a 2.4L yet.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Crock said it, do an actual whole exhaust, not just a cheesy muffler/resonator delete. Trust me, you'll be WAY happier with a nice kit than some chop-job, as you've already experienced. Plus, you get the additional benefit of added HP!!!!!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
My dual exhaust is unbalanced and does half to the stock muffler and half out straight pipe. Love the sounds.
Video!!! I wanna hear this!!

Reactions: CaptainShanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
This is why I'm planning on ordering a Varex one of these days.. I keep putting my stock one back on... And I'm sick of this.. I figured making my own custom Varex catback would throw me on a unique stand. Then I really like making my gf angry , which is who I thought of using one of my cutouts before the cat and then 3inch pipes all the way to the y pipe I'd have attached to the Varex lead. Figured that would be fun to open up lol go from full exhaust system to open pipes in 2 seconds. Gotta love Fl.

If anyone's wondering why I have just one extra cutout , it was for my old jeep that I never used. The other ones are used lol

·
Registered
831 Posts
Please do go with Varex, they're extremely popular in Australia and are used by almost all Holden Commodore / Ford Falcon's, they're not cheap but they do offer possibilities for sound levels, not to mention they're high quality, however they're aren't cheap, and I'm a local.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I've never heard a Varex muffler in person,how do they sound?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, the only problem is, they're bloody famous in Australia, but Varex in Australia dont offer it to N/A 4 cylinder's, mostly V6 and V8's and turbo'd I4's.

but here's a vid showing aussie muscle, be warned, some of you yanks might wet your pants seeing you guys dont get these nice cars

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a bud who has the dual in dual out on his 04 Ram.. Little bit tiny of a muffler for a truck lol but it sounds good. And it really doesn't matter that they sale them car specific , they are usable on any car really.. Just buy them from a vendor and not Varex themselves. As long as your not buying a knock off that is. Lol

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a bud who has the dual in dual out on his 04 Ram.. Little bit tiny of a muffler for a truck lol but it sounds good. And it really doesn't matter that they sale them car specific , they are usable on any car really.. Just buy them from a vendor and not Varex themselves. As long as your not buying a knock off that is. Lol

Thats the problem, they're are alot of wannabe Varex companies out there utilising that cut off valve actuator to limit the noise, but in theory that whole system doesnt even give any performance gains. As far as I know, they do sell Varex mufflers to honda integra type r's and civic type r's (not sure what you call them in the states), but they aint cheap, cost about $1500 AUD for the whole system, you might as well go TK/Solo/ARK for that price lol or a custom one at that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thats the problem, they're are alot of wannabe Varex companies out there utilising that cut off valve actuator to limit the noise, but in theory that whole system doesnt even give any performance gains. As far as I know, they do sell Varex mufflers to honda integra type r's and civic type r's (not sure what you call them in the states), but they aint cheap, cost about $1500 AUD for the whole system, you might as well go TK/Solo/ARK for that price lol or a custom one at that.
I kno right. But in all honesty. Closed ,halfway , Open... Three exhaust choices in one muffler

Mno

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've done a resonator delete, and I must say, the sounds is actually pretty sick with my muffler and CAI. A lot of people have stopped to ask me what exhaust system I have on my car when in reality I don't even have one.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've done a resonator delete, and I must say, the sounds is actually pretty sick with my muffler and CAI. A lot of people have stopped to ask me what exhaust system I have on my car when in reality I don't even have one.
What muffler did you use?

Any chance there is a video?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is why I'm planning on ordering a Varex one of these days.. I keep putting my stock one back on... And I'm sick of this.. I figured making my own custom Varex catback would throw me on a unique stand. Then I really like making my gf angry , which is who I thought of using one of my cutouts before the cat and then 3inch pipes all the way to the y pipe I'd have attached to the Varex lead. Figured that would be fun to open up lol go from full exhaust system to open pipes in 2 seconds. Gotta love Fl.

If anyone's wondering why I have just one extra cutout , it was for my old jeep that I never used. The other ones are used lol
I thought I read somewhere that you had a Flowmaster Super 44 on your Koup. I'm dying to get something that sounds good.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts