Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else found the ride to be very bouncy? It seems to me like the shocks are not well matched to the springs. Anyone else noticed this? Any aftermarket solutions to resolve it?

I came from VW where Bilstein and H&R were the hot sauce.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I find the ride pretty firm and with certain bumps, a bit skittish. It's either over-damped or too firmly sprung. Not sure which, since I'm not a suspension engineer. My previous BMW had Bilsteins and the ride was even firmer than the Kia, but was always composed. Of course, if you compare the rear suspension of that E39 BMW to the Kia's, you can see why the BMW cost 2X more.

Overall, I think Kia has done a decent job of balancing handling with ride comfort considering the very basic suspension design. I also think the ride improves a little with mileage.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree with Walpole's assessment of the SX suspension. Given that the overall design of the Forte's suspension is quite simple, I think Kia did a pretty good job.

To which level Forte five are you referring - EX or SX?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I find my EX ride nice and smooth, no extra bouncing that I see in other cars that are worn out a little or alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see that you have the Koup though. I wonder if it is the extra weight of the hatch or something. Its not horrible. I guess I am just used to something a bit smoother.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Check your tire pressure. The Hankooks are a pretty hard crappy compound.

It's possible the dealer over inflated them. It'll make the ride bouncy. It's funny how people think suspension is all about shocks, springs and geometry. You gotta start at the bottom where the rubber meets the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rear suspension is basically a roll-bar so that little wag you get over bumps is the result of the movement of one rear tire effecting the other rear tire.

This isn't a bad thing because you'll notice the rear suspension is below the bottom of the car; in return for that little wag you get tremendous rear cargo room.

The "hand of God" (the stability control) comes on early and hard if you try pushing beyond that little rear wag.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Try putting a load in the back. I've not checked on it, but some cars are "springy" in the back until you put a load on it. Then it rides better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone else found the ride to be very bouncy? It seems to me like the shocks are not well matched to the springs. Anyone else noticed this? Any aftermarket solutions to resolve it?

I came from VW where Bilstein and H&R were the hot sauce.
I have to agree. The ride is a bit firm and "jiggley". My only real major complaint about the car. Just getting ready for a long trip and not sure it's going to be very pleasant on my ol' bones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the ride quality in the EX is pretty good. I don't find it harsh or stiff or bouncy at all.
The only slight complaint I can think of is when driving over washboard type bumps it seems that I can feel the suspension parts moving in the bushings. Its hard to describe, but a very minor thing.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's been mentioned on other threads that adding a rear sway bar helps with the bouncing rear end.

The back end is pretty loose when driving over bumps in corners in my EX sedan.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I know there are anti-roll bars available for the Forte, but I don't understand how they help, since it's a torsion beam rear suspension. Since the wheels are already connected with the beam and there is limited independent travel for the wheels it seems like an additional bar would not add much benefit.

Also, on the SX, there is very little body roll right from the factory. I would think adding a anti-roll bar would make the rear even stiffer and more skittish over bumpy corners.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an EX 5 door and find it bouncy as well under some condtions. On good roads and on the highway the suspension feels great and the car rides really smooth. But when you get out in the country where I live and drive roads full of filled potholes and pavement patches and humps, town and county country roads basically, it's like driving a trampoline. The Forte is no longer composed at all and tosses you all over the place. Feels pretty much like a car with worn out suspension. I think the system is a bit underdamped and the springs are a little soft for bumpier roads. It does give decent smooth road comfort and I suspect that's what Kia was going for. I suspect the SX suspension would probably handle these roads a lot better since it's stiffer and probably damper but we wanted the 2.0L for the fuel economy so the EX was our option.

I hate to start throwing money at a brand new car a few weeks after it rolled off the show room floor but I'm thinking a quick swap out of shocks and springs might be necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the SX suspension interchangeable? I dont see why not...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
stiffer shocks maybe? I don't have any issues with mine since I live in the city, but they are working on the interstate that I take to work in the A.M. and it gets hella bouncy on there. A lot of scrapping going on lol. I need to get stiffer shocks, especially now after the Eibach's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe that is the answer then. I initially asked if the spring rates and the shock ratings were not matched. Perhaps if stiffer rear shocks were added it would even out the ride quality in the rear. Add one more person to the list that does not want to throw any more money at a brand new car, but I drive about 80 miles a day and it gets old.

For those of you that do not think its bouncy, I ask that you drive for a few miles with your head on the headrest and tell me how many times it bounces off lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I imagine sx stuff should bolt right in if you could find it. I'm sure springs wouldn't be too hard to find with people swapping them out for lowering springs. Shocks might a bit harder though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts