Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they recently started road construction on a main road to get into my neighborhood. I don't know why they ripped up the road because it was perfectly fine to begin with. Completely smooth, no pot holes, etc.

I take a left from this main road into my neighborhood and it goes up a steep hill. At the beginning of this steep hill they completely tore out a section of the road creating a slightly angled 7" drop off!

I was hesitant to go over what the sign says a "Bump" because of my lowered Koup but I have no other entrance towards my house so I was forced to go over it.

I came into it at an angle and went as slow as possible and still scraped! And it scraped bad. :mad: All of the damage is on the bottom of the bumper but none the less it is still damage that shouldn't be there.

What can I do about this??

·
Registered
316 Posts
buff it out and paint it or get a new bumper.

Sorry to sound blunt but that's about it. You can try and complain to whoever was doing the road work but they won't care

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try and complain to whoever was doing the road work but they won't care
That's what I'm assuming is going to happen if I try and complain. I'm trying to figure out how to really pin this on them and make them pay for the damages. There must be some type of legislation on how bad they can screw up a road.

·
Registered
431 Posts
So they recently started road construction on a main road to get into my neighborhood. I don't know why they ripped up the road because it was perfectly fine to begin with. Completely smooth, no pot holes, etc.

I take a left from this main road into my neighborhood and it goes up a steep hill. At the beginning of this steep hill they completely tore out a section of the road creating a slightly angled 7" drop off!

I was hesitant to go over what the sign says a "Bump" because of my lowered Koup but I have no other entrance towards my house so I was forced to go over it.

I came into it at an angle and went as slow as possible and still scraped! And it scraped bad. :mad: All of the damage is on the bottom of the bumper but none the less it is still damage that shouldn't be there.

What can I do about this??
Sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately theres little to nothing you can do about it. Just gotta suck it up and fix it. You can make a formal complaint, but in the long run, it would cost you more money to do that than if you fixed the bumper.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
That's what I'm assuming is going to happen if I try and complain. I'm trying to figure out how to really pin this on them and make them pay for the damages. There must be some type of legislation on how bad they can screw up a road.
Considering the cost of the damage your best bet would be small claims. If you sue the city or whoever they aren't likely to show up to a small claim trial. If you get a judgment government entities often pay without you having to start formal collections. If the judge doesn't rule if your favor your only out the small claims costs.

If you go this route send a letter to the defendant(s) first requesting reimbursement. You likely won't get a response to the letter but a judge won't give you a judgment if you don't ask for payment first.

·
Registered
316 Posts
They'll probably tell you that since your car is lowered they have no responsibility.

For the top gear fans:

Also look for their supercar tour in france where they try to get our of a parking garage in a Pagani Zonda, Ford GT and Ferrari F430

·
Registered
645 Posts
What about someone with a lambo or ferrari,they are probably lower and it's from the factory,the lowering kit of the koup is only an inch,the lowered koup would have no problem in that video.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No, you can do something about this. the Signage must indicate the type of road hazard. If yo ucan prove that your car is not excessively low, or that the *bump* is actually a huge crater that should require more signage or a road closure id say you have a case, and you could settle it out of court probably. Just be nice.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
They'll say you knew your car was lowered, you questioned it, and drove over it anyway. You could claim on your insurance, less the deductible. Or you can just fix it out of pocket, saving the stress of it all. But personally, I like reading your complaining, so don't fix it yet. :)

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But personally, I like reading your complaining, so don't fix it yet. :)
I'm not sure what that means. I'm not so much complaining but more so upset that damage happened to my vehicle and trying to figure out what my options are.

Lowering my car isn't an illegal modification so that should have no bearing in the decision as of why the damage happened. I also had no choice but to go over the drop off (I though going at an angle slow I could make it, apparently not) to get home. My only other choice would be to park in a different neighborhood and walk a quarter mile back home.

I measured the drop off (7" with a steep angle) and took photos of both the damage and road hazard. I made a couple phone calls to the city and am awaiting a reply. We'll see how it goes from here.

P.S. jarret_g, that video is painful to watch. Cars that beautiful deserve better than that.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
The important part of my post was listing your options. The part you quoted was just a gentle prod at lightening the mood. ;) I only criticize out of love.

·
Registered
585 Posts
While it is the towns fault that the road is messed up [that would be a day in court] ...you surely you must have known from seeing other cars that were lowered and had their front ends scraped and cracked up that this was inevitable at some point in time? Fixing it is temporary because chances are - it will happen again. The question is: can you afford to keep fixing it? Lowered cars and public streets don't play well together.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the damage is my fault then it's my fault, I'll pay for it and have no one else to blame but myself. In this instance I'm not really sure what else I could of done besides walking home.

Do I think this will happen again? Of course that's a possibility, but that's not reason enough for me to be stock, although that's well enough for some. I've had the springs on for close to 6 months now and this is the first time I've ever scraped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts