Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looking into it as well but, take a look a look at the review for the ram intake. Pretty detailed review but since its from only one person and 7 months ago, who knows.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Road Race does do a lot of good work for the Mitsubishi crowd. I am not saying Anthony's experience didn't happen, but you also have to consider both sides of the story.

Based upon the knowledge I have of RRE and RRM, I would consider buying their piggyback, at least you have a physical item to sell if you are not satisfied. Also it sounds like it can be tweaked on in case you get future mods. Whereas the tune from SFR, you are stuck with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Small Question about Piggybacks (Im a Newbie to them). Does it reprogram the ECU completely and then you remove it? or does it act like a new ECU, but when you take your car into service, you can remove it and the dealer doesnt find out? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I'm not saying that Road Race Motor Sports sucks... They have really nice cars and years of "experience"... it's just this specific part is crap... Go w/ Injen or TK

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not saying that Road Race Motor Sports sucks... They have really nice cars and years of "experience"... it's just this specific part is crap... Go w/ Injen or TK
ok... so how the hell do you know the final part.. that you didn't take would be crap? ... seriously:confused:

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
ok... so how the hell do you know the final part.. that you didn't take would be crap? ... seriously:confused:
Well when I was there they decided to test fit parts from other cars and see what looked good. Their short ram is not specifically designed for our Fortes, it was made for another car (I forget which one, keep in mind that this happened a year ago). In the process, they scratched the inner diameter of my throttle body, and refused to take responsibility.
They are selling the same one they tested on my car. It's hilarious because it only took them about half an hour to finish this product on my car, w/o any testing or engineering. I even told the owner that I didn't want it on my car b/c I didn't think such a simple set-up would add any power (He was immediately offended). I strongly believe you will loose performance because the short-ram sits in the engine compartment and will suck the hot-air in.

This is my word of advice, take it or leave it. TK's set up is so much better, and they have numbers to prove it too..

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Must mean all SRI are garbage as they all sit in the engine bay, so I guess that would include injen's.
What I meant by "sit" is where the Air Filter Cone sits. Injen's and TK's are similar and sit behind the fog lamp (or where it would be if you don't have fogs), enough distance away from the engine so heat won't be a problem. This short-ram intake doesn't have a Heat Shield, so heat will definitely be a problem. You look at K&N's intakes, they come with heat shields...

·
Registered
459 Posts
A piggyback, picks up signals sent to and from the ECU and alters then accordingly.

All I have ever had on my cars are SRIs, and there is a difference in power. Let's just drop it, you personally have something against them, that's fine. Their service can be questionable. But you never actually tried their product, so you have no actual first had experience with their product.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Mr. wing-zero, I think you are always going to have something against me :p.

You are absolutely right, I never tried their product, nor would I ever even consider it. If you would have been in my shoes and seen 1st hand how RRM went about making this intake, you would have gone nuts!!! It was a complete joke!!!

I'm seriously considering doing my senior project on aftermarket intakes... a fluid analysis of the filter and all that good stuff... When I had the interview at K&N, the senior engineer told me that they do lots of simulations using works flow " our company is based around fluid flow….mostly through porous media."

I'm just really tired of all the gimmicks out there and want solid answers... sometimes I even wonder if a graph from a dynometer is enough.. it can be easily forged; put two pairs of red and blue lines parallel to each other and wallah!!!...

I think I'm going off topic...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mr. wing-zero, I think you are always going to have something against me :p.

You are absolutely right, I never tried their product, nor would I ever even consider it. If you would have been in my shoes and seen 1st hand how RRM went about making this intake, you would have gone nuts!!! It was a complete joke!!!

I'm seriously considering doing my senior project on aftermarket intakes... a fluid analysis of the filter and all that good stuff... When I had the interview at K&N, the senior engineer told me that they do lots of simulations using works flow " our company is based around fluid flow….mostly through porous media."

I'm just really tired of all the gimmicks out there and want solid answers... sometimes I even wonder if a graph from a dynometer is enough.. it can be easily forged; put two pairs of red and blue lines parallel to each other and wallah!!!...

I think I'm going off topic...

if you were all that into it.. then you would know K&N filters let just about the most debris into your engine out of name brand filters while providing marginally better flow characteristics

usually intakes (whether SRI or CAI) will make a difference in responsiveness and powerband as well as some gains.. whether you believe it or not.. just because it sits in the engine bay does not me it's only sucking in hot air.. the depending on the setup of the engine bay most will have air movement around in the bay with cold air.. so while it might not be as good as a CAI there are still gains..

i'd love to see these scratches that are in your TB from them... cuz i would love to show you some TB's i've seen stock

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's true I wasn't there. But if you remember back the TK prototype was pretty gross looking as it was a......prototype.
but Anthony previously stated that the current SRI is the exact same thing they tested on his car =/

·
Registered
459 Posts
In his tale, he mentions that they tried several things from other cars on his, and when they were done they reinstalled the stock air box. So how does he actually know what they tried on his car? He was off taking a tour of the facility, and completely refused any type of freebie product. So he really didn't get to see any "product". There are parts of this story I chalk up to he said/she said aka here say.

I would say if you are interested in their product go for it. Don't let 1 person ruin it for you.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Now I know you have a personal thing against me, I feel special! :D

As for the tour of the "facility", it's more like an oversize garage. I was never more than a few steps away from my car.... I'm still pissed at the guy who was working on my car, he thought I wouldn't notice him walking away with a bolt from my car :mad:....

but anyhow, why would I lie about this?

Yes Mr. Wingzero, you figured me out!!!!! I have a secret agenda to take down RRM, take over their shop, and start my own business here in Southern California. (If you didn't notice I was being sarcastic)...

I did see every part they tried on my car. Yes Winzero, with my own EYES!!! :eek:

">

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Seems like the final product came out good IMHO. (thou I'd like to see some gains on paper if I was to buy it) also comes with a bracket to move the ecu which most of us might think of as a good thing since there has been some worry about the ecu's abilty to withstand heat, with out its ram air box.

But I'm curious were this magical bracket moves the ecu?

*sucks about anthonys car* no matter what happened there,
maybe the shop tech had a bad day? wanted lunch etc..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts