Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to RRM so they could develop a intake for the automatic fortes since no other company offers this. This is just the rough version of the intake. Also there is a heat shield that goes on the left side of the filter but its not shown in the pictures. (sorry for the bad quality pictures) This is also a great alternative for people who dont want a CAI but want a better intake. So thanks to Rob and the guys down at RRM this fine product will avaible in the near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately they didnt give me a release date for the intake

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like it will be a quality product. For some reason I though they were making a CAI. But I am a fan of the SRI anyways. Plus , why woudln't this give the manual trannies another option?
RRM does make a CAI and people with manual trannies can use this to, RRM just wanted to make a intake for the autos because the dipstick for the trannie is in the way for the CAI system and you willhave to bend that to make room, but with this system theres no need for that

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Good alternative to the CAI if you don't want to bend your dipstick.
Any gains in performance?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good alternative to the CAI if you don't want to bend your dipstick.
Any gains in performance?
we didnt get a dyno of it, but it will most likely give a 4-9 hp gain

·
Registered
425 Posts
as that filter sits now it seems it would swallow a bunch of water.
Um...No. The filter sits above the transmission and halfway back between the grill and the firewall, the only way water is going to get there is if the driver decides to ford a 3 foot deep river.

What is nice about this design is there is room to have a pipe send air from the grill to the filter to keep a good amount of cold air hitting it.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
So I just finished a really fun little experiment, and the results are certainly interesting.

I hooked up our scan tool, and looked at ambient temperature, coolant temp, and intake air temp. I ran two runs, one with the stock filter setup, and one with the snorkel removed. This simulates the same as if I had a big round filter sitting on top of the transmission.

I completed this all within about 20 minutes, so ambient didn't change, and was 10 degrees (all temps in Celsius). Engine was at full operating temp, 85.5 degrees at the time of measurement. Runs were completed cruising on the same stretch of road, in the same direction to account for wind, and at the same speed (100 km/h).

With the factory intake in place, I had an intake temp of 18.5 degrees.
With the snorkel removed, that temp jumps to 28.5 degrees, a full 10 degrees higher.

The rule of thumb for intake temp vs. Hp is every 10 degrees Fahrenheit increase will lower HP by 1%. So...

18C = 64F. 28C = 82F. 82 - 64 = 18F. So approximately a 2% HP loss would be expected due to the higher intake temps that the 'improved' open-filter will 'gain'.

Rather interesting... sure my methods are rather simple, but I used the same info the car uses to make the power everyone is so interested in scavenging. So really... my methods may be about as complete as possible. Short of a dyno (which then removes the effects of motion, which is a HUGE contributor to the complete experiment) to measure actual output... this really is as good as it gets.
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/p...ons/598-no-more-gehtto-intake-2.html#post9393

·
Registered
45 Posts
Um...No. The filter sits above the transmission and halfway back between the grill and the firewall, the only way water is going to get there is if the driver decides to ford a 3 foot deep river.

What is nice about this design is there is room to have a pipe send air from the grill to the filter to keep a good amount of cold air hitting it.

i would prefer my intake pipe not act as a rain spout.
id just prefer the intake run downwards rather than up as this one does.
you guys who hose out the engine bay better make sure you
protect the filter.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
protect the filter.
Well this is just an alternative to a CAI, and simple thing to do if you wash your engine is to just take off the filter and put a cap on it. Plus the pipe has a downward angle on the filter side

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
as that filter sits now it seems it would swallow a bunch of water.
protect the filter.

Did you remove your hood or something? If water is entering your engine bay you might want to check your seals.

As far as hosing down an engine bay, an intake filter is the last thing I'd worry about. Filters are oiled to repel water. The electrical connectors will give more trouble. Who hoses their engine bay down with the engine running and at WOT? That's the only way you'd be sucking water in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts