Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Road/Race Motorsports has released a host of new products for the Forte, I'm sure alot of people are wondering exactly how good the quality of their products are and, more important, who exactly they are. Well I had the chance to meet up with Rob from Road/Race earlier today, tour their facility, and get their lightweight pulley installed.

Let me just start by saying that Rob is a great guy and was more than accommodating when it came to showing me around their shop. I got a chance to take a look at the different products they have not only for the Forte, but a host of other cars as well. The products were perfect in build quality and beefy enough to with stand whatever you could throw at them.

All that being said, my main reason for being there was to have their lightweight pulley installed on my 2.4L Koup with a 6 speed manual. I was a bit skeptical at first about what exactly the benefits would be of having a lightweight pulley versus the stock one. We weighed my stock pulley against the lightweight one and I was impressed! My stock pulley weighed in at 4.5 pounds (rounded to the nearest half pound), their lightweight pulley weighed a mere half pound! The pulley was installed and I was on my way (after scoring a free Road/Race windshield banner, thanks Rob) to the Anaheim Mitsubishi meet.

The difference was noticeable immediately! With the lightweight pulley installed, shifting was greatly smoothed out when pushing the car hard. My wife described the feeling of my old pulley as having a "bobble-head effect"; when I would shift under load, the car would jerk as it disengaged from the gear, lost momentum, then revved up again. With this lighter pulley, the car was able to rev faster and it almost entirely got rid of that "bobble-head effect". My car felt more responsive and quicker going in and out of gears. All in all I am extremely satisfied with the pulley and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice upgrade over stock.

Now if I can get my hands on their rally knob and drag wing... hint, hint Rob... ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
does the light weight pully just fit manuals? or would it fit auto's as well?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will fit the auto's as well. I'd be interested to know how the auto would feel after adding the lightweight pulley. The difference for me was night and day.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
awesome. i might get one. would these be hard to install it with out a professional?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't imagine it would, but if you had any questions on install, I'm sure they'd be happy to walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Will this void any warranty? Would it be worth doing and is the installation easy for amateurs or should a professional do this?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installation is basically as easy as removing the serpentine belt and unbolting the old pulley. If you had any questions during the process, you could contact them. As far as warranty goes, I'm really not sure. You're not altering the stock part in any way, just simply putting on a lighter weight version of the same thing. Personally I think this should be on the car from stock due to the difference it made. I can tell my engine isn't working nearly as hard as it used too.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
This product has been around for a while I'm surprise no one digged up the old threads on this pulley a lot of useful info. And I bet your answers are there. I would throw in a link but I'm mobile.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yea I would really like to know the pros and cons to installing this and if it affects the warranty becuz this seems like a pretty cheap performance mod. Would this get rid of the "dead spot" problem too?

·
Registered
166 Posts
is this can void the engine warranty ? some say its can broke the correct anlignment of the crankshaft wish need the stock pulley pound.... I dunnot about it but I really want it the other way :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
It will not harm the engine. We have been running these type of pulleys on the Mitsu WOrld Engines (same block as the KIA engine) for 3 years now without a single failure. I am sooooo sure of this fact. This is why we make it. We even sell these to Mitus dealers in the U.S. and Canada.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does the pulley have any timing marks on it? I had a underdrive pulley on my nissan 240sx and it didn't have any timing marks which made it a pain in the butt to do timing. Just curious thanks!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.