Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done the Road Race piggy back ECU tunes for the forte? I've been wondering how they work if they give extra power boosts and by how much? if it's worth it? and are they problematic?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds to me like this chip does nothing more than trick the computer into thinking the intake air temp is lower than it actually is. It will add a bit of timing. Gains are minimal. Waste of money in my opinion. Probably all that's inside is a 5 cent resistor. Also there's a good chance the computer will learn around it. At least on Fords, the computer looks at the intake air temp and the engine coolant temp on startup after the engine has been off for a long time. If the two are not equal, it assumes the sensor is off, and adapts.

2,213 Posts
The chip and the piggy back are 2 totally different things. The chip is a cheap piece of crap resistor. I've had friends who've had piggy backs on there Subarus who say it works great even with the turbo, so I also want to see the dyno tests on it before I decide if I want one or not

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Why do people continue to fall for this junk even after there are multiple threads saying it is junk.
Because there's a sucker born every minute. For every person educated on a matter there's at least 10 that isn't.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even the "piggyback" thing... I tried that back in the day around 2001. Never worked. I ended up going full stand-alone ECU on the trackday car. It's the only way to roll.

No matter what, you'll never get more than 10hp out of a naturally aspirated tune. The potential for power just isn't there.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I was actually looking at the piggyback myself. Heard lots of good things about RRM from other forum members. I'd be interested to see what their warranty/return policy is for the piggybacks. May end up giving it a try none the less.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Sounds to me like this chip does nothing more than trick the computer into thinking the intake air temp is lower than it actually is. It will add a bit of timing. Gains are minimal. Waste of money in my opinion. Probably all that's inside is a 5 cent resistor. Also there's a good chance the computer will learn around it. At least on Fords, the computer looks at the intake air temp and the engine coolant temp on startup after the engine has been off for a long time. If the two are not equal, it assumes the sensor is off, and adapts.
The piggyback unit is much different that a "chip". The piggy is a programmable box that changes the fuel mappings for a car. I ran one on my SX4 when I had an NA tune and then a different one to run my turbo set up. Road///Race even has a whole page about tuning using the software. They make a noticeable difference in power and MPG's if the stock AF is really bad. The SX4 ran really rich and the piggy fixed that for a lot of guys, it is a well received product on the SX4 forum.

·
Registered
425 Posts
which do you guys think is better, a piggyback or a reflash?
I like the piggy back option for a couple good reasons. If you get a piggy back and you have a local shop or friend who can tune then you can make constant changes as you work on the car. Get a header, new tune; different intake, new tune; light weight pulley, new tune. Also if there are issues with the programing you just take the piggy off and you are back to stock.

Also with some reflash companies you have to send in your ECU and get a replacement and you don't know what has happened to the ECU you get.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Or you can get sfr ecu reflash they will eather go to a near by shop if enought people are down to flash. Or send it in. You don't want to stay with a car that you can't drive for 3 days? 2 options drive to pa or they will send you an ecu core charge and once you get your flash ecu send it rite back for a refund of the core charge. Screaming at 7800rpm

·
Registered
46 Posts
ya, i was thinking of getting it reflashed, but im not totally sure if i really want a piggyback or reflash now. how much do good piggbacks go for?

and i was lookin at sfr for my reflash, but i cant drive to Pa since i live in NE and dont have enough time off from school and work to send it in.

and which would add more hp?

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks to everyone for your input! By sharing your experiences it saves me allot of time and most importantly Cash!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The piggyback unit is much different that a "chip". The piggy is a programmable box that changes the fuel mappings for a car. I ran one on my SX4 when I had an NA tune and then a different one to run my turbo set up. Road///Race even has a whole page about tuning using the software. They make a noticeable difference in power and MPG's if the stock AF is really bad. The SX4 ran really rich and the piggy fixed that for a lot of guys, it is a well received product on the SX4 forum.
Hmmm... I'd be interested to know more about this. Are you actually cutting the fuel injector and coil wires and the "piggy" runs them? Or what?

I have a Pectel T2 on my Focus. You unplug the engine harness, and plug in the T2 harness. It has full control from there, no messing around. Laptop programmable, yadda yadda.

Of course, that was $2100 back in 2001. :eek:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hmmm... I'd be interested to know more about this. Are you actually cutting the fuel injector and coil wires and the "piggy" runs them? Or what?

I have a Pectel T2 on my Focus. You unplug the engine harness, and plug in the T2 harness. It has full control from there, no messing around. Laptop programmable, yadda yadda.

Of course, that was $2100 back in 2001. :eek:
You splice into the wire harness leading to the ECU. There is enough wire to have it mount out of sight so most of the time people don't know you have it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So is the system adding a parallel ground to the injectors, or are you actually severing the wires to the factory ECU?

·
Registered
425 Posts
So is the system adding a parallel ground to the injectors, or are you actually severing the wires to the factory ECU?
I am not sure how the Forte one works, but mine I had to sever one wire and vampire in on 2 or 3 more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts