Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been getting a bunch of questions about our Piggyback so I thought I would take some time to answer questions. First off, this device is an easy installed Electronic device with its own microprocessor. What the piggy does is remap the stock fuel curves. Factory fuel curves are a bit rich and rob the engine of power and even mileage. We trim out fuel where needed and even add fuel in certain spots (rpms). We spent hours on the dyno maximizing these fuel curves and it is really the best mod you can do to these engines if you are N/A. Furthermore this is giving power to other things like an intake an exhaust. Lastly, we dyno 4 h.p. and 6 ft lbs. of torque. This is really more than it sounds. Why? An exhaust can give you a few h.p. but you will only get that improvement in the last 1000 rpms before redline. Is that practical? Not really. It is good but what is better is getting the power over a large range of rpms and in the rpms you are likely to be using. That is what the piggy does. Give you power over a larger range and down in the 3000s+
ALso the unit comes with software so you can custom tune but I doubt you will get much improvement unless you went ,big cam, header ro hi-comp pistons.

ROAD/RACE

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I'm new to all the piggysbacks etc, if i install it will the dealer know it was in there if I remove It if I take it in for service. Any tests/data on mpg gain/improvement ?
I agree, Any info on how we can install/uninstall when we need to take it in for warrenty/repair? Also, will the Forte's ECU log the changed maps, so that when we take in the car, and Kia loads the ECU, will it tell them that we have modded it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Is it plug and play or is there some wiring work that needs to be done? Looked on the site didn't really have info as far as the install. I'll prolly try this until I can get my hands on the turbo, especially if it save even more gas!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Not to be a necro, but could we get some dyno sheets for this? This would be a good alternative to an actual programmer while we wait.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
They claim some numbers, but have no dyno sheets to back them up.
I can say I put a filter on my car and got 10 hp, but I can't prove it without a dyno.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
They claim some numbers, but have no dyno sheets to back them up.
I can say I put a filter on my car and got 10 hp, but I can't prove it without a dyno.

ACTUALLY...using a DYNO to prove a change that is 10 HP up or down is not accurate unless it is under VERY controlled conditions. Changes in Air temperature, humidity level, Barometric (atmospheric) pressure, engine temperature, tranny temperature,and even the dyno's temperature can change the HP/TQ readings that much.

If you run a test on a car after you just drove it to the dyno and then install an air filter -- then wait until the car is completely cooled down -- you WILL get a big HP increase. But it won't be because of the air filter...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My point is that I can say whatever I want, but without proof nobody is likely to believe me. Sure dyno results can vary greatly depending on conditions, but it's still "proof."

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Incase people miss the link.

·
Registered
312 Posts
ACTUALLY...using a DYNO to prove a change that is 10 HP up or down is not accurate unless it is under VERY controlled conditions. Changes in Air temperature, humidity level, Barometric (atmospheric) pressure, engine temperature, tranny temperature,and even the dyno's temperature can change the HP/TQ readings that much.

If you run a test on a car after you just drove it to the dyno and then install an air filter -- then wait until the car is completely cooled down -- you WILL get a big HP increase. But it won't be because of the air filter...
THIS!

4whp sounds like dyno noise.

·
Registered
265 Posts
honestly, who cares how it compares. piggyback systems are great and all, but most tuners want something plug and play so they can bring their car into a dealer and not get the hassle of warranty arguments. the aem fuel/air ignition controller also looks to need wire splicing... honestly anything that needs wire splicing shouldn't be over 250 unless you get at least 20 more horses out of an N/A engine that has been factory tuned a$$ backwards like the forte has. each gear seems to have it's own personality which makes no sense. I really wish someone would break the code and it could just be hooked up to a laptop and tuned with a program like HPTuners or Trifecta. Mind you, I am not knocking this piggyback product, it probably takes care of the random gear personality and gives you a bit more power...but, most people don't want to splice wires... then again we also have to accept the Kia market isn't as booming as some others... plus it's easier to tune cars that are already F/I.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dude , i think aem fic may be plug and play, and remember other than hp gains their is mpg gain wich means, with the money saved on mpg you can buy more things for you forte lol. But seriously i think the benefit with the fic is that if you want to go turbo in the future you have the programing halfway

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,911 Posts
THIS!
Sounds like dyno noise.
Care to elaborate?

Oops, sorry...probably too big of a word for you.

What do you mean?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.