Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm taking my Forte on it's first road trip down to Big Pine Key, FL and Key West for Memorial Day on Sunday. I'm pulling about 340 miles out of a tank of gas now and wonder if it will be possible to drive all the way there on one tank from Tampa to Big Pine Key. It's about 6 -7 hours and 400miles. Most of my gas sucking will be on the way down til you get to Key Largo where the speed limit it 70 or so and then 50-55 thru the keys. Anyone think this is possible?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well I'm taking my Forte on it's first road trip down to Big Pine Key, FL and Key West for Memorial Day on Sunday. I'm pulling about 340 miles out of a tank of gas now and wonder if it will be possible to drive all the way there on one tank from Tampa to Big Pine Key. It's about 6 -7 hours and 400miles. Most of my gas sucking will be on the way down til you get to Key Largo where the speed limit it 70 or so and then 50-55 thru the keys. Anyone think this is possible?
Why would you do this? The fuel pump is lubricated by the gasoline and could be damaged if it ran out of fuel. I would not do this. You would be running on fumes when you arrived.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol well I've kinda know where my needle will go down too already before it stops so I'm not worried about running out. I would deff stop and get gas if needed lol. Has anyone gotten 400 miles out of a tank? lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just never run a car down to empty. I had an experience out in the middle of nowhere in Montana one time with an empty fuel tank where I misjudged the distance and it was white knuckle time for 25 miles until I finally reached Billings. Whenever that gauge falls below 3/8 I start looking for a gas station. You don't want to run out in the middle of traffic either as that could be a fatal mistake. When you have about 250-275 miles you should pull in regardless. Saving a few pennies is not worth your life. Besides it is safer as you will start to tire and take a restroom break. And take the time to get some coffee. Take along one of those plastic cups to be refilled. It's cheaper besides.

I could get about 400 miles out of a tank if I didn't stand on the gas pedal but you can forget about going 80+. About 60-65 mph will give you the best mileage. But you'll have to get over the traffic going by you. If you mix it up with them you will get less gas mileage.

And one more thing. You will only get 97% of the fuel mileage that EPA gets. They use pure gasoline and you will be using 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol thanks to the ethanol lobby and the bought and paid for politicians. Even Al Gore says it is a rip-off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well back from the trip. I averaged about 32MPG. I wound up filling up at 1/8 of a tank left since I knew I wouldn't make it all the way. I did get from Tampa to Tavernier, FL in the Keys. I probably needed an extra two gallons in the tank to probably make it all the way. But all in all the car did quite well on the trip. Just wish my seat had a little Lumbar for drives like that. Wound up tossing a 1000 miles on the car in 4 days.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I drive back and forth between Austin and Lubbock for school every month or so, and I'm always able to make it on one tank. It's just under 400 miles, mostly Texas highways with 70mph limits. Usually the gas light comes on just outside of town. But sometimes if I have a good back wind, I'll end up with an eight of a tank left!
Sometimes it will hit E, which means I have a gallon left. That's to protect the fuel pump from overheating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts