Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if there is a roof rack available for the koup yet? to be more specific, something to hold some skis and a board. I'm a pretty avid skier in the winter and I would prefer to use a rack rather than folding the seats down.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I heard their is a rack coming for the sedan this fall bu not sure about the koups.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm, cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I found one on the Yakima site that says it will fit the Koup but I'm weary of the idea of the glass from the doors shutting on the clamps...

Too bad I couldn't make the meet because I wanted to ask someone at the dealership if they knew of any.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That is were I got the info in the first place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not many choices, but the Yakima Q Tower system with Q 46 Clips will do the job, pretty good considering the koup has "frameless" doors.

I suggest you get it professionally installed so that the Q 46 clips hitting the glass is minimal. If you're very technical and you decide to buy the system, the instructions don't have the Koup listed but here's the measurement: M1 - 45 1/4", M2 - 4", M3 - 43 5/8", M4 - 21"

WARNING: If you have a sunroof/moonroof system, you can still open it to vent, but to fully open you need to get the Yakima stretch kit, otherwise fully opening the sunroof hits the rear bar. I didn't get the stretch kit because I only plan to use the roof rack seasonally.

Here are pictures of mine, seriously there are those that aren't gonna like roof racks on the koup, but hey my car, i got $$$ to throw, and i need the space...oh yeah fashion over function :)...peace!

·
Registered
103 Posts
@ greatgoodies

DUDE where is the link to order that??? please and thanks!
i just bought a new Burton board and had a HELL of a time tryin to fit it with both back seats down and my sub

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! I talked to a guy at a local rack shop and he quoted me close to $500 for the system...I just about had a heart attack. I can wait until next year to spend that kinda money on a rack system.

Thanks for the pics though!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pics with snowboard rack and bike rack.

So cleannn, I love it! I'm eventually getting one, so I can take my road bike along with me. I'm hoping though by the time that I truly
need one, Thule has one that fits the Forte. I'm more fond of Thule's fairing design than Yakima's, but it really doesn't matter too much in the end.

Function > Form, though...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you noticed the glass from the doors hitting the clamps when you close the door? I'm worried about this issue and don't want my side door glass to crack at some point. You'd think they would come out with a system that would clamp in to the channels along the roof, instead of using the door frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@underflip - the glass hits the metal piece, but I havent noticed any scratches or cracks; I think because they are properly installed (minimal contact) and my window tint protects the glass when I close them. I am aware the glass hits the metal, its not a big concern to me because the roof racks are only there seasonally so I dont expect too much wear and tear with the metal/glass contact.

I am not a roof rack pro, but I believe Yakima and Thule make rain gutter style roof racks, none that fit the Koup yet...I know for sure you can always have a roof rack pro drill a hole on your roof to fit a roof rack :D, I would think they're not as easily removable.

@unsurestephen - i was a thule fanboy, but Yakima is the only thing that fiits at the moment, plus the roof rack dealer had an awesome yakima rack + installation deal...$aving$ > Thule :)

@ Everybody - Sorry for the late response to all that are messaging me, most of you have the same questions, so I hope I answered it here. Have a great day everyday everyone. peace.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.