Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried sedan roof racks on their 5? Kind of sucks they dont have a 5 specific yet..at least that I have seen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. If you go to the Kia site and flip between the picture of the sedan and 5 door they look pretty much exactly the same to about the back of the rear door so I'm thinking the sedan clips yakima makes should work just fine on the 5 door. I'm looking for a set of towers and clips right now. I'll be sure to post up if I find them and they do work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know why U.S cars get the short end of the stick when it comes to accessories. Had the same problem with my 2009 Hyundai Touring. Could not get a roof rack, full front bra etc. when the car was introduced here in the U.S. Could only look at the Hyundai Australia site and see everything there that I wanted at the time for the Touring.
Same thing now on the 5-door Forte. When I go to the Kia Australia site I find:roof racks with attachments for bicycles, skis,water craft etc. available for the 2011 Cerato which looks to be a spitting image for our car from the pictures on their web site.
Look forward to hearing if the sedan rack will work on our 5-doors.

·
Registered
39 Posts

So here's what you need:
Yakima Q-Towers
58" cross bars
Q99 clips front and rear

I used the dimensions off the fit sheet for the forte sedan and they work okay but I think I'm going to tweak them slightly. I ran out of time and energy to play with them tonight (installing these racks is a PIA). If I do end up changing my fit numbers a little bit I'll post them up for others to reference. Here's a few pictures of the tower bases and why I think I need to change the dimensions just a hair.

Front: foot hangs off the sheetmetal just a little bit. I may or may not mess with that one. The tower seems solid but moving it just a tiny bit might make it ncer

Rear: These just seem a bit too wide to me. Looking at them I think they would sit a lot nicer and look a lot better with around a half inch taken out of the tower spread to make the bases sit a bit more on top of the roof.

Bar spread I think is just about right at the recommended 30"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks great. Ill wait just a bit longer until there are ones fitted for the 45.
I'd be really really surprised if this is not the exact parts recommended by Yakima once they get a chance to figure out what to put on the Forte5. I suspect the only difference will be perhaps slightly different fit dimensions. It'd be interesting to see a picture of a Yakima rack on a sedan to see how the locations of the towers compare.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Probably a silly question, but on the sides of the roof are those long black plastic strips that can be pulled off. I was assuming the purpose of those is to install rails for a roof rack. Am I even close?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Probably a silly question, but on the sides of the roof are those long black plastic strips that can be pulled off. I was assuming the purpose of those is to install rails for a roof rack. Am I even close?
Those are just mouldings that cover up the seam between the roof panel and the pillars. Probably help with directing water off the roof as well.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
On higher end cars there would be mounting points under the molding, but I doubt the Forte has it...Plus nobody has come out with the mounting style rack, just the door clip style ones so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a forte 5 at the end of April in Canada and KIA installed roof racks for me that have the Kia name on them but they say are made by either Thule or yakima(can't remember which). They look really great on the car and I figure if I ever have a problem with the door gaskets or anything I can go back to them as they supplied them and installed them. The only thing is that they are not the traditional square bar type so I bought new accessories to fit them(although there is an adapter called the ride-on or something made by thule to adapt to square bars but it makes everything sit higher and limits you to 2 bikes for eg). Anyway, I'm posting from my iPad right now so don't have pics but if you go to my profile and look at my posting for HSD coil overs there is a pic on there that shows them. I'll try to take better ones and post them here later.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a forte 5 at the end of April in Canada and KIA installed roof racks for me that have the Kia name on them but they say are made by either Thule or yakima(can't remember which). They look really great on the car and I figure if I ever have a problem with the door gaskets or anything I can go back to them as they supplied them and installed them. The only thing is that they are not the traditional square bar type so I bought new accessories to fit them(although there is an adapter called the ride-on or something made by thule to adapt to square bars but it makes everything sit higher and limits you to 2 bikes for eg). Anyway, I'm posting from my iPad right now so don't have pics but if you go to my profile and look at my posting for HSD coil overs there is a pic on there that shows them. I'll try to take better ones and post them here later.....
I have the same rack on my car:

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the looks of it, its THIS made by Cequent, sold as Reese, Rola, and some other of their brands. If I didn't have the hand-me-down, I was going to get one of these.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whispbar (Australia / New Zealand) has several sets of bars for the Kia Cerato / Forte - in Australia they are branded Prorack :

see - Find My Car

The drop-down at the top lets you select the USA as a source - note that in the USA they are branded Yakima.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whispbar (Australia / New Zealand) has several sets of bars for the Kia Cerato / Forte - in Australia they are branded Prorack :

see - Find My Car

The drop-down at the top lets you select the USA as a source - note that in the USA they are branded Yakima.
Those look sweet as well.

The only complaint I have about using Yakima's Q Towers is that without a fairing, they are rather loud.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Roof Rack Fairings

What size fairings did you guys get? Or does anyone else know the answer? and is the best size bar length to get 48"?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts