Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT Gravity Gray
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone has mentioned a similar issue with the 2020 Forte sedan, but earlier today I test drove three 2021 Forte GTs w/ GT2 and found the same issue in all of them. When you do a full right crank of the steering wheel at coasting speeds (under 5 mph, when you're parking for example) there seems to be the sound of something rubbing or scraping coming from only the front passenger wheel. This issue didn't happen on the front driver's side on any of them. It also increases in noise level as soon as you apply pressure on the brakes. I originally thought it could be an issue with the steering column or bearings, or even brake grinding, but given these cars have 10-20 miles on them, I'm not sure any of that would even be in the question, unless all of them happened to be in poor quality from production. Additionally, it only seemed to be a noticeable sound when someone was sitting in the passenger seat. When I'm the only one driving, there are no unnatural sounds from that location. This makes me think that occupancy weight could be a factor, but still doesn't fully explain why this would be a consistent issue with these models. I love everything else about the car and have a great deal lined up, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue before I buy the car and realize it's a bigger issue than just an annoying noise in limited circumstances. They are having the service department take a look at it and assess the issue, but thought some of you all might know already. Thanks in advance for any info or ideas!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I know someone has mentioned a similar issue with the 2020 Forte sedan, but earlier today I test drove three 2021 Forte GTs w/ GT2 and found the same issue in all of them. When you do a full right crank of the steering wheel at coasting speeds (under 5 mph, when you're parking for example) there seems to be the sound of something rubbing or scraping coming from only the front passenger wheel. This issue didn't happen on the front driver's side on any of them. It also increases in noise level as soon as you apply pressure on the brakes. I originally thought it could be an issue with the steering column or bearings, or even brake grinding, but given these cars have 10-20 miles on them, I'm not sure any of that would even be in the question, unless all of them happened to be in poor quality from production. Additionally, it only seemed to be a noticeable sound when someone was sitting in the passenger seat. When I'm the only one driving, there are no unnatural sounds from that location. This makes me think that occupancy weight could be a factor, but still doesn't fully explain why this would be a consistent issue with these models. I love everything else about the car and have a great deal lined up, but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue before I buy the car and realize it's a bigger issue than just an annoying noise in limited circumstances. They are having the service department take a look at it and assess the issue, but thought some of you all might know already. Thanks in advance for any info or ideas!
I have not noticed that on my '21 GT2...
What was the issue?

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
4,130 Posts
I turned my wheels full both ways and didn't get any sounds. Wonder what it was?

·
Registered
2021 Kia Forte GT Gravity Gray
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've boiled it down to a bad batch at a dealership. Think they might have had faulty brake dust shields. Went the next day to a different dealership and bought theirs since it didn't have the issue, so I'm not too worried about it now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.