Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forte5 SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st gen sx w/ 11.8 front disc rotors ran 17" oem wheels. Any problems / fitment issues related to running the same diameter wheel on the later models? Peace...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Are you asking if 17" wheels would fit on 2nd and 3rd gen Fortes? The answer is yes. Base models came with 15" steel wheels and 16" aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
2016 Forte5 SX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nova,
Thanks for the reply. The ex & lx models are a bi different than sx models. The huge front disc brakes made 17" wheels the min.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Newbies here less than 24 hours and telling us we don’t know what we’re talking about.

Hey Nova,
Thanks for the reply. The ex & lx models are a bi different than sx models. The huge front disc brakes made 17" wheels the min.
Hey tao.strider,
First, there is no SX in the 3rd gen. It was replaced by the GT.
Second, 11.8” discs are not “huge”. The standard front discs are 11”.
Third, you’re wrong about 17” wheels being the minimum. I own two 1st gen SX Fortes (a Koup and a hatchback) and I have personally run snow tires are on 16” wheels.
Also, Tire Rack sells snow tire and wheel sets for the 2nd gen SX in 16” sizes and sets for the 3rd gen GT in 15” sizes:

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
11 Posts
So for a 2016 Forte5 SX, 17" wheels will fit? I am on the fence between lighter 17s but a little shorter gears and heavier 19s which will lengthen the gearing up slightly, though I am sure 19" wheels could be lighter than the OEM 18s, just I know there are 17lb 17" wheels out there I could get. Losing ~10lbs per wheel should do quite a bit to help things spin up faster, coupled with the shorter height, I think I could end up shifting a lot more often in the city / low speed driving. Anyways, there isn't much info I can find on going from 18s -> 17s but I know it happens.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
So for a 2016 Forte5 SX, 17" wheels will fit?
Yes

I am on the fence between lighter 17s but a little shorter gears and heavier 19s which will lengthen the gearing up slightly,
You are confused. 17” WHEELS will not shorten gears and 19” WHEELS will not lengthen gearing. TIRES do that, not wheels. You shorten or lengthen gearing by purchasing smaller diameter or taller diameter tires. You can buy taller 18” tires to lengthen gearing. And you could buy the same height 17” tires as the stock 18” tires and have the same gearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks, sorry to make you get ultra pedantic, I understand how things work, just left out other details connecting my thoughts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
lol k bro
Some people just need more help than others. It’s nothing to be ashamed about. We’re here to help people like you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
lol its saturday night why dont you get in front of a mirror and hang out with all of your friends instead of being a jerk on the internet to people, sorry i conflated wheels with tires, i understand how the diameter and circumference work etc

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
lol its saturday night why dont you get in front of a mirror and hang out with all of your friends
That’s exactly what I’m doing! Me and my friend in the mirror are laughing at the incompetence on the Internet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts