Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my SX Koup for a year now and since about early December I have heard this running water sound from under the glove box. I thought it was an issue with the heater core getting air in it (like what the old spectra had issues with). After three attempts at trying to get my dealer to take a listen, they finally did on Friday last week. They then scheduled me to take my car in on Monday and have a coolant bottle strapped to it over night to push the air out. I got it back on Tuesday hoping that this annoyance was gone, but alas it was not. Started my car Wednesday morning and the noise was back.

My question to all of you is do you have this issue with the running water sound, and if so did you get it fixed and how?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Mine does it as well but for me it sounds like water running through a tube that has a small amount of air blowing thru it and I don't notice it all too much

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a/c cooling system??
I don't really get what you mean by this. But it only happens when the a/c is on, either heat or cool. Like I said the spectra had an issue like this, and even the KIA tech guy said it sounded exactly the same.

If anyone else has this problem please take it to your dealer and mention the heater core issue, maybe if enough people complain they'll figure out a fix for this.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine goes back in next Thursday and they're keeping it for 24 hours to see if they can bleed the air out of the heater core... hope it works this time.

Eh all in all if this is the only problem my car is going to have it is certainly survivable. Still annoying as Hell though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a/c running water noise, I have the same problem with my kia forte 2010,

I have the same problem, a noise like running water when the a/c is on, I took my car twice to the dealer and they said that it is normal?????
Did somebody have this problem and how was it fixed?

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I used the metaphor of sounding like a fish tank under the dash. Sounds like pressurizing and depressurizing. Since it only does it when the climate control is on, I assumed it was a normal sound. I first noticed it around 3k mi. It's like the refrigerator running in the background, yeah you can hear it, but it's pretty easy to tune it out. And if you can't, your radio isn't up loud enough.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I heard it for the first time sitting idling at a bank drive-thru with the windows up. Sounds like a mixture of water and air being forced through a narrow tube. I don't know if it's 'normal' but there may not be anything that can be done. If the refrigerant is being forced around a corner near the evaporator, it may always make that noise. Or it may be inherent of the evaporator design that refrigerant makes noise as it passes through it.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I heard it for the first time sitting idling at a bank drive-thru with the windows up. Sounds like a mixture of water and air being forced through a narrow tube. I don't know if it's 'normal' but there may not be anything that can be done. If the refrigerant is being forced around a corner near the evaporator, it may always make that noise. Or it may be inherent of the evaporator design that refrigerant makes noise as it passes through it.
You may be right. From the diagrams the HVAC unit seems to be a single contained unit that's extremely compact(lots of bends). For sure it's not like I've seen in past cars, when the evap, heat core and piping is spread across the dash. This is basically a black drum with fittings to connect it to external piping and that's it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hear this same thing in mine. I only can hear it when the fan is on low and the car is idling. It's not that loud. I had a Jeep and a Volvo that made this same noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been searching all over for this. Sounds like it might be common on cars? I don't know though, it only happens on my car when I have the fan at "1". This occurs in the relative cold too since I'm in Canada. I definitely know it is coming from behind the glove box, but beyond that I have no idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have this sound since day one, at first I thought it was a fan issue. I only hear the noise when the fan is on low, if I turn it up all the way and quickly back down to low it stops for a bit but comes back. ANNOYING but I think it wont blow anything up lol

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It's just the coolant in liquid form running down the pipes. Nothing to worry about, a lot of cars do it. Sometimes it indicates that the coolant needs filling, other times it's completely normal. My car doesn't do it, but my dad's Hyundai and my mom's Dodge both do it and we keep them fully charged at all times.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah its turned out to just be the coolant running through a little "gate" thingy in the lines, it can really only be heard when it is really quite in the car. KIA deemed a normal operating sound, so no worries on it being a serious issue, but it is annoying at the very least.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mine does it to btw :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts