Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my car today and guest what... Rust spots all over the car. I can't believe it. My forte is white so there kinda easy to find. Not even 14000km, imagine at 100000km. I even did a rust proofing treatment in november.

I'm speach less...:mad:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No pics yet. I'll try to post some later.

Looks a lot like this...

I had a second look, I think it's a paint contamination due to road salt during winter... I'll take an appointment with my dealership and see what they say.

MaxD, is it possible that the rust is simply surface contaminants?
Try something like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/CarWashingCleaning/CarPaintCare/PRD~0392869P/Mothers%2525AE%252BClay%252BBar%252BSystem.jsp

If the rust comes off you should be OK. Take your time do the entire car then give it a good wax, it may help.

Let us know the outcome!
Thanks KOUPEB!

I've tried a 3M glaze that I had and I was able to remove a small patch of spots. I'm hoping it's only that. I'll try the clay bar system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sounds like someone is getting a fresh paint job this spring!!! lol... That really does suck though bro...

·
Registered
178 Posts
No pics yet. I'll try to post some later.

Looks a lot like this...

I had a second look, I think it's a paint contamination due to road salt during winter... I'll take an appointment with my dealership and see what they say.

Thanks KOUPEB!

I've tried a 3M glaze that I had and I was able to remove a small patch of spots. I'm hoping it's only that. I'll try the clay bar system.
If the clay block doesn't work, the only option left would be to wet sand and buff, but im sure the dealer will repaint it though...My brother had the same problem on the Pontiac G6 and they repainted it for him....

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a Mother's clay bar kit, this afternoon. I've tried it and I was able to remove a small patch of spots. It's snowing right now so I'll wait for doing the rest of the car. It looks like it's only on the surface of the clear coat, for now...

·
Registered
52 Posts
MaxD, That's good news! Thats a major issue with white / silver cars, every little thing will show on that beautiful clean car :).
Like I said, take your time, do the entire car with the clay bar, then go nuts with the best car wax you can get! The wax will help with preventing future particles to stick to the surface of your car.

·
Registered
2021 Forte5 GT Ltd
32 Posts
Any idea why this happen? Because I just washed my other car this weekend, a Dodge Journey 2009. It's 1 yr old and I too notice very little orange spots on silver colour paint, especially on the lower front doors! How can clear coat rust? It's not even chipped.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you live/work/park near a rail yard or industrial zone, the spots can be caused by fine airborne steel particles that settle on the paint and then rust. This is usually not a 'warrantable' item, as it is considered environmental and cosmetic, not a defect. Any detail shop will be able to polish the spots out and reseal the paint to protect against it but if it's because you've got a rail yard at the end of your block, it'll be a temporary fix, at best.

Maybe trade it in on a copperhead...

·
Registered
39 Posts
i heard from someone that its very common to have that surface rust happening i saw it on a 1 year old sorrento and i sent it to get a good wax and it was fine

but you have way more salt in le salty provance

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I found this on the web...
Rail dust - produced from the friction of train wheels against railroad tracks. Over 70% of new vehicles are shipped by rail. Rail dust can contaminate a new car's finish before it even reaches the dealership. Anytime a vehicle is parked or travels near a railroad it is subject to rail dust contamination.
Could this be it ? All our Forte's come from a train yard... Anyways, one way or another, I'll have to put some elbow grease into it :p

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do these rust spots from rail dust cause more damage and spread or do they just sit on the surface? They me just an annoyance more than anything. I had them on my last car and just left them and couldn't see any damage 5 years later, but who knows, they might have been minor to begin with.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I found this on the web...

Could this be it ? All our Forte's come from a train yard... Anyways, one way or another, I'll have to put some elbow grease into it :p
Was going to mention rail dust...it's common from transport.

Clay barring should get rid of all of the contaminants. Use several clay bars and knead them often so you don't scratch the paint. If you ever drop a clay bar on the ground...throw it away and use a fresh one. Also, use lots of lube (soapy water mixture, or the spray that comes with most kits). Ordinarily, one clay bar is more than enough to do one car, but given your contaminants, I would use more than one to avoid scratches. Then polish and wax...after that, you should be go to go!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was going to mention rail dust...it's common from transport.

Clay barring should get rid of all of the contaminants. Use several clay bars and knead them often so you don't scratch the paint. If you ever drop a clay bar on the ground...throw it away and use a fresh one. Also, use lots of lube (soapy water mixture, or the spray that comes with most kits). Ordinarily, one clay bar is more than enough to do one car, but given your contaminants, I would use more than one to avoid scratches. Then polish and wax...after that, you should be go to go!
Thanks for the tips. Now, if we could only get warm weather...

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi.i have the same problems with the rust spots on my kia forte 2010.48000 km.
did u go to the dealer to a ask them ??
i am planning to go ,,...

·
Registered
253 Posts
lol necrothread

Did you try washing the car and the orange spots off? If its easier, you can go to the dealership and see if they will buff it out.

From my visit with the dealership due to paint being scrapped off from a parking lot hit-and-run, I voiced a concern that the car may rust due to having the paint scraped off (down to the black) but the dealer told me that was impossible since the exterior of the car was made of plastic.

Would like to hear from someone that might know if that is true or not.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts