Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just ordered my new 10 Forte EX with sunroof. Should be here in about 6 weeks. Just wondering what everyone did with regards to rustproofing. The dealer has their usual overpriced package, but I haven't made a decision yet. Should I go with the dealer, aftermarket oil spraying, or nothing at all? I haven't been doing anything the last few cars but thought I should on this one just in case. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only reason to rustproof the car is if you do a lot of driving on gravel roads where the gravel may significantly scratch and ding the underside of the frame. The steel is galvanized, so it won't rust as long as the surface is kept intact. If you drive on pavement most of the time, it's a waste of money.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agree with JWalker.

Also, if rustproofing(undercoating) isn't done properly it can actually be a problem by covering drain holes and allowing moisture to be trapped into tight fitting places on the underbody.

Rustproofing should have died years ago, along with pinstriping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are the Electronic Rust Proofing little black boxes also. I haven't heard good things about them though. I thought about using one, started to look into it and just found way too much bad press about them, so I stayed away from them. I'm going without rust proofing right now. I haven't used it on my last few vehicles and over the 3 or 4 years that I've driven them I haven't found any rust.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
There are the Electronic Rust Proofing little black boxes also. I haven't heard good things about them though. I thought about using one, started to look into it and just found way too much bad press about them, so I stayed away from them. I'm going without rust proofing right now. I haven't used it on my last few vehicles and over the 3 or 4 years that I've driven them I haven't found any rust.
Those electrical/electronic/cathodic rust proofing works wonder on boat and ship because it's immerse in sea water. Result show barely any improvement on land vehicule.
That's what I found in several study on the net....... so it's worth what it's worth!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jibba. I notice you're from London. Did you deal with London Kia? I wasn't impressed with them so I went out of town.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Depends on the area you live in, rustproofing may make sense. Here in Ontario where we heavily salt our roads in the winter and summers are humid, I rustproofed my Forte after I got it. I've seen cars here get rusted pretty bad. My dad's Nissan Maxima was never rust proofed and after about 7 years, it started to show some rust. The thing with rust, once it shows up in a few spots, boy does it spread quickly. I didn't get it done at the dealership as they rip you off there, I got my mechanic to do it for substantially less and he buys the product from the local Honda dealership. He used to do this when he worked at Honda. Watching him do it, its amazing how quick and easy it is if you have the right tools and know-how. Really substantiates our belief to never pay the dealer price to do it. If you are planning to do it, make sure your underbody is clean and dry if you've already been driving the car. If you've already driven it through snow/mud, check your local weather to make sure the next fews days will be dry. Give it a good underbody wash and a couple of days to dry before you do the rustproof.

** Forgot to add that the Forte comes with pre drilled holes in the doors, hood and trunk so there should be no need to drill any holes if you do the rustproof as long as the aftermarket place you go to has the right tool/applicator **

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Jibba. I notice you're from London. Did you deal with London Kia? I wasn't impressed with them so I went out of town.
I bought from London Kia. They were fine. The sales associate was a little pushy, wanting to make the sale that day. I wasn't pressured, and I've test-driven the other vehicles that I had considered, but I didn't let him know that. I don't expect them to be my friends, but they were above average. My Saturn dealer was the best, as usual, but I didn't want to risk buying a discontinued European import (the Astra). Mazda was a joke, I wanted to beat the Pontiac dealer with a blunt object, Ford was okay, Chevy was excellent (but the Cobalt wasn't), Honda and Toyota were both good, but way to pushy and there wasn't a lot of negotiating room with them. I think maybe Toyota will be a little easier to deal with now.

Anyways, I found London Kia more than acceptable as far as sales went. As for service, if they give me grief, I'll take it to KW Kia. My parents live in K-W, so I'm there often anyways. Plus, I've delt with the GM dealership that owns KW Kia before and they were just fine.What bothered you with London Kia?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Londonguy. Yes I did deal with London KIA and was very impressed with them. I specifically dealt with Camilo and he made everything very easy. I had a lease with Mazda on a 2006 Mazda 6 that still had 4 months remaining and I was already over my allotted mileage and was paying 8 cents for every km I went over. I went in looking to test drive the SX sedan, but they didn't have any on the lot. He put me into an SX Koup to test and then when I returned he asked about my situation and asked me about dealing now, instead of waiting the 4 months on my lease. He was able to take my Mazda, get the amount owing on it, give me a loaner (a 2009 Sorento) for a week, pay out the 4 months owing on my Mazda and tack it onto the purchase price of my new Forte SX and order the exact SX sedan that I wanted. He went the extra mile on everything for me. Even the fact that he ordered in the new Forte SX sedan in my color and manual transmission, lent me a loaner for almost 2 weeks and dealt with Mazda for me without getting any cash as a downpayment for me was great. He made it awesome to deal with them. I can't say enough about London KIA. They were a big part of the reason why I ended up buying my car.

Now, I'm sure that every situation is different and maybe you dealt with someone else, or had a trade in that they didn't give you as much as you wanted for or whatever, but my dealings with London KIA were top notch.

If you see my Titanium SX sedan driving around (no London KIA license plate holder, tinted, will have the stubby antennae) give me a wave!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought from London Kia. They were fine. The sales associate was a little pushy, wanting to make the sale that day. I wasn't pressured, and I've test-driven the other vehicles that I had considered, but I didn't let him know that. I don't expect them to be my friends, but they were above average. My Saturn dealer was the best, as usual, but I didn't want to risk buying a discontinued European import (the Astra). Mazda was a joke, I wanted to beat the Pontiac dealer with a blunt object, Ford was okay, Chevy was excellent (but the Cobalt wasn't), Honda and Toyota were both good, but way to pushy and there wasn't a lot of negotiating room with them. I think maybe Toyota will be a little easier to deal with now.

Anyways, I found London Kia more than acceptable as far as sales went. As for service, if they give me grief, I'll take it to KW Kia. My parents live in K-W, so I'm there often anyways. Plus, I've delt with the GM dealership that owns KW Kia before and they were just fine.What bothered you with London Kia?
Good to hear that you had a good experience with London KIA also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you guys had good experiences. That's what it's all about. I've heard good things about London Kia, but it must have been an off day. I dealt with a guy named Danny, and it seemed like he wanted to make the deal in about 20 minutes. Very impatient. Also, they wanted to hit me with an etching fee, which I refuse to pay on all cars. I was trading in a 2008 Corolla, not affected by recalls etc, and they lowballed me. I told them I could get my price almost anywhere else and he said he couldn't do it. This was all before the Toyota news of the last few weeks. They offered below low black book. Already received quotes that were $1000 higher. And the price of the new Forte, they wouldn't budge off the price other than the manufacturer discount. I thought I could get them to move as well. Not. I went to Chatham Kia, also where I'm from, and the complete opposite. Got more for my trade than I wanted, didn't tell them beforehand what I wanted. They asked, but I said I had no idea, just to see what they would come back with. No admin fees. Also with London Kia they insisted the tires be filled with Nitrogen, which I didn't want. They said it's on all their cars. Not a fan of Nitrogen. I just thought they weren't listening to me at all, so I left. Again, I'm glad you guys had good experiences, and the car should be here soon. Later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm from Prince Edward Island, and we use a ton.. let me rephrase that we use a SH*T ton of salt, so with the extended warranty the dealer offered it also included a diamond coat under coating the lasts ten years. because around here if you don't rust proof you rust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm from Prince Edward Island, and we use a ton.. let me rephrase that we use a SH*T ton of salt, so with the extended warranty the dealer offered it also included a diamond coat under coating the lasts ten years. because around here if you don't rust proof you rust.
I hear you on that. I lived in Charlottetown for a couple of years and everyone was rustproofing their cars.

BTW, I see your name is Cryptic Panther and you are from PEI, so I'm assuming that you went to UPEI. I was a UPEI Panther and played basketball for them in the early 90's. Welcome to the board fellow Panther!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey guys. Just ordered my new 10 Forte EX with sunroof. Should be here in about 6 weeks. Just wondering what everyone did with regards to rustproofing. The dealer has their usual overpriced package, but I haven't made a decision yet. Should I go with the dealer, aftermarket oil spraying, or nothing at all? I haven't been doing anything the last few cars but thought I should on this one just in case. Thanks.
Sorry Londonguy, I just reread that you just ordered your car, so obviously you weren't the black EX that I saw in town here. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Jibbajabba.

I am from PEI but not a UPEI panther. I have been using that name for along time. sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not my black one no, I ordered blue. What brought you all the way from PEI to London Ontario? What part of London are you in?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not my black one no, I ordered blue. What brought you all the way from PEI to London Ontario? What part of London are you in?
I'm from Sarnia originally and went to University in PEI. Lived in London for a while, then moved to Toronto for the past 5 years. Back in London now for the past year. I live in the downtown area now, around Oxford/Adelaide area. Just look for the Titanium SX around! That'll be me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll keep an eye out for it for sure. I was at westmount mall this morning and I saw2 of them. They are becoming increasingly popular.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I'll keep an eye out for it for sure. I was at westmount mall this morning and I saw2 of them. They are becoming increasingly popular.
They're less common around Kingston, that's for sure! So far, I've only seen one Koup (black EX), and one sedan (titanium EX or LX). I've always wanted an uncommon car, especially after driving a Sunfire for 5 years!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts