Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so after my first oil change at 1500 miles I did the "seafoam treatment" through the brake assist vacuum hose. It was bizarre to me that disconnecting the hose didn't affect idle at all. smooth as butter on or off.

Then applying the seafoam there was NO white smoke coming out of the tail pipe at all. Weird.

So after I re-connected the hose and starting revving the engine. BOOM. white and Black smoke blowing out the pipe and causing the engine to knock. 2 times big plumes of smoke shot out like this.

Usually I get steady streams of smoke until it's finished but what would cause these to happen? Would the cats caused a buildup of some sort until it all exploded out?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't know where the explosion came from, but...why are you Seafoaming at 1500 miles? I can maybe see 15,000 but even that is overkill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a chevy HHR that I purchased new and at 10k did it and got 2-3 mpg better afterwords. Plus, i assumed that during breakin a lot can be left behind inside the engine. just a hunch of course

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,837 Posts
I can't come up with a reason to use seafoam at 50,000 miles -- unless your car looks like it came off of the movie road warrior...LoL

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey so after my first oil change at 1500 miles I did the "seafoam treatment" through the brake assist vacuum hose. It was bizarre to me that disconnecting the hose didn't affect idle at all. smooth as butter on or off.

Then applying the seafoam there was NO white smoke coming out of the tail pipe at all. Weird.

So after I re-connected the hose and starting revving the engine. BOOM. white and Black smoke blowing out the pipe and causing the engine to knock. 2 times big plumes of smoke shot out like this.

Usually I get steady streams of smoke until it's finished but what would cause these to happen? Would the cats caused a buildup of some sort until it all exploded out?
What part of Nashboro are you in?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HEY! I'm in Franklin! bam!
Nope engine runs strong and good. just wondering what was all the black and white smoke from. it was weird i tell ya

·
Registered
318 Posts
why are you doing a oil change at 1500??? dealer said to me to do it every 3750..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Owners manual states every 7500 miles... First oil change to be done at 3750 though.
oh my bad i was just going off what kia told me when i go the car.....:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
It seems to me that you didn't follow directions.

Only put 1/3 of the bottle into the brake vac line. SLOWLY

Turn the car off.

Put 1/3 into crankcase
put 1/3 into gas tank

5 minutes Start car and do not rev for first 5 minutes.
Then rev it out for another 5 minutes at about 2000 rpms max.
Then drive it around for about 5 miles then do another oil change and your done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lol

lol, everything is fine now though right?

i used to work at a lube shop and we charged people to do this treatment to their cars, running a fuel system cleaner through the brake booster vacuum hose, if you notice on our cars the brake booster hose doesnt just go to the intake manifold it goes to the intake tube too if i remember right, but this might be why it didnt affect the idle when u took the hose off, since its probably getting enough relief not to die, but when we did it to cars a lot of them wouldnt take it all a little at a time but it would load up somewhere in the intake and when you rev it up it all goes in at once, causing your "explosion" and knocking for a few minutes and blowing out a bunch of white smoke, but everything returns to normal after a few minutes, your car should be fine, just feed the seafoam a little slower next time, or clear it out a few times in between

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great advise everyone. thanks!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
seafoam spray at 30,000 kms

At 30,000 kms I didn't have error codes or knocking, no white smoke until I punched it. Yes would kill any bugs within half a kilometer? The car runs good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why would anyone use Seafoam on a GDI engine.
You realize that the critical carbon build up won't get touched, right?

You basically just gave your cylinders a major BJ and nothing more... :wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Why would anyone use Seafoam on a GDI engine.
You realize that the critical carbon build up won't get touched, right?

You basically just gave your cylinders a major BJ and nothing more... :wink2:
The first gen 2.0 & 2.4 are not GDI. Only the new gen 1.6 &2.0 are.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts