Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I met up with displacement4me the other afternoon as he was in the Okanagan on vacation and we swapped headlights. Thanks again Bryan, it was good to meet you and your brother.

So here are a number of pictures showing the differences between the 2 headlights. It's funny how the sedan headlights with the black surrounds are installed with the chrome grill on the SX while the Koup SX with the black grill gets chromed lights.

Sorry about the first shot, it was taken in bad light with a Blackberry.

This was taken after we swapped headlights.

A Sedan headlight is on top with the protective film in place, the Koup Headlight is installed.

Here you can see where the chrome really works with the other chrome on my SX Sedan. (PS: that's my new toy in the background:))

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am hoping to make this switch myself if anyone in Central Texas with a Sedan want to switch just send me a PM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It does look great. I think it works for both cars to do this. I have always thought it looked like they have the wrong headlight with each car.

But Hey. The car manufacturers just make the cars. It is our job to perfect them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's awesome of displacement4me to do that!! Grats BigE you car just keeps getting better and better.. So Jealous.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
gwildor.... I'm tempted to do this as well....just can't decide though.....wonder if I know anyone with sedans?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks awesome!

Anyone in the GTA with a Sedan wanna make the swap with me?

BW

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
It's funny how the sedan headlights with the black surrounds are installed with the chrome grill on the SX while the Koup SX with the black grill gets chromed lights.
I never understood why they decided to do that either. Great job though.

Anyone in the NW near Vancouver, WA or Portland, OR with a sedan wanna swap headlights on my Koup? :)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,842 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures BigE...It will motivate me to do the same with my sedan and Koup. I always thought it was odd that my sedan has a chrome-ringed grille with black-ringed headlights while my Koup has black-ringed grille and chrome-ringed headlights...go figure...LoL!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting the pictures BigE...It will motivate me to do the same with my sedan and Koup. I always thought it was odd that my sedan has a chrome-ringed grille with black-ringed headlights while my Koup has black-ringed grille and chrome-ringed headlights...go figure...LoL!
Ha HA, i would have thought you would have done this ages ago, since you didn't need to go find someone to swap with. lol!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,842 Posts
Ha HA, i would have thought you would have done this ages ago, since you didn't need to go find someone to swap with. lol!
ooohhh nnooo...had to get the wife's approval first. Your pictures helped convince her...;-)...LoL!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'll gladly trade my koup set for sedan set any day.. If anyone is close to pittsburgh and wants to trade let me know... Hell i'm almost ready to go half on shipping if someone wants to ship theres to me and mine to them... we'd just have to do overnight shipping is all because I cant afford more than on day without them..

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Just swapped mine out...changes the front end appearance of each model! I highly recommend sedan owners finding a Koup owner to swap out your headlights - and vice versa...LoL!

Fairly easy to do...two 10 MM bolts on top of the headlights -- I also loosened the 12MM bolt at the sides of each headlight -- top of fender on top of the black support, and I loosend and removed all 4 of the plastic retainers on top of the grille -- just to make a little extra play available. There is one wiring harness connector at each head light -- push in the retaining clip on top of the connector and wiggle it free. Then pushing and lifting from behind (one hand behind and one hand on the front of the headlight for control) -- push the headlight forward (towards the front of the car) you'll free up the 2 clips at the bottom of the headlight. Finally while using a little upward force remove the headlight. You want to use a little upward force to keep from marring the paint on the front fascia/bumper.

Sorry...no camera at hand...

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just swapped mine out...changes the front end appearance of each model! I highly recommend sedan owners finding a Koup owner to swap out your headlights - and vice versa...LoL!

Fairly easy to do...two 10 MM bolts on top of the headlights -- I also loosened the 12MM bolt at the sides of each headlight -- top of fender on top of the black support, and I loosend and removed all 4 of the plastic retainers on top of the grille -- just to make a little extra play available. There is one wiring harness connector at each head light -- push in the retaining clip on top of the connector and wiggle it free. Then pushing and lifting from behind (one hand behind and one hand on the front of the headlight for control) -- push the headlight forward (towards the front of the car) you'll free up the 2 clips at the bottom of the headlight. Finally while using a little upward force remove the headlight. You want to use a little upward force to keep from marring the paint on the front fascia/bumper.

Sorry...no camera at hand...
This might help...
http://www.forteforums.com/forums/body-kits-appearance/1555-video-headlight-removal.html

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts