Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyones sunroof was leaking from the back edge (the side that is closest to the rear windshield).

I have been through car washes and have notticed a bit of a drippy-leak, (I would have my interior sun visor open with glass closed ofcourse) I would be able to see and feel a constant drippy leak from the back part of the sunroof.

I have also notticed this happen in constant medium/heavy rainfall, it appears to happen when it rains for a prolonged period of time.

I nottice it falls onto a rain-rail type cross bar located between the glass and the sun roof visor and I guess it dripps to the left/right side and down the rain vents.

I just wanted to know if this is normal as I am worried that water will dammage my headliner sooner or later.

Thanks

-Forte333

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Not normal but not horribly uncommon on sunroofs.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not normal but not horribly uncommon on sunroofs.

Thanks, I'll have the dealership have a look at this next time im in for my next oil change, I have briefly spoken to them already about the issue and they said that Kia never suggests taking your car with a sunroof though a (power) car wash.

But like I said even at constant exposure to rain the sunroof will leak.

-Forte333

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Thanks, I'll have the dealership have a look at this next time im in for my next oil change, I have briefly spoken to them already about the issue and they said that Kia never suggests taking your car with a sunroof though a (power) car wash.

But like I said even at constant exposure to rain the sunroof will leak.

-Forte333
Honestly in all my years never has a car company suggested their cars be taken through a power wash in fact all warn to be careful for one reason or another. Antenna issues, paint damage, wheel damage etc I heard it all.

That said it's BS if your car leaks going through one. I have a sunroof and lately there's been a lot of rain and my roof is bone dry. So definitely it's not normal however leaky sunroofs aren't limited to Kias.

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly in all my years never has a car company suggested their cars be taken through a power wash in fact all warn to be careful for one reason or another. Antenna issues, paint damage, wheel damage etc I heard it all.

That said it's BS if your car leaks going through one. I have a sunroof and lately there's been a lot of rain and my roof is bone dry. So definitely it's not normal however leaky sunroofs aren't limited to Kias.

Thanks, again I'll take this issue into Kia, I agree that powered cash washes can hurt the car, but the problem lies with the sunroof leaking a little when its just raining which to me is BS.

-Forte333

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Forte is at the dealership this morning for the exact same problem, sunroof leaking. I have my Forte since a whole year now (May 2009) and this problem always been there. I complained to the dealer and they keep telling me that it is normal that a sunroof leaks ! I have been through Kia Canada and had the same answer as the dealer. I can even let a busines card literally fall between the seal and the roof itself, and they keep taking me for an idiot by telling me that maybe I use the sunroof as I should... In my opinion, this is not normal. A brand new car with water going through the sunroof ? No way, I dont get it. If I knew that, I wouldn't bought a sunroof.

So, my experience with Kia for a whole year now tells me that you should not buy a sunroof from Kia. Other than this, car runs very good.

MudmaX.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It is normal for this type of sunroof to leak past the outer seal, but the water is supposed to collect in the gutter system and be drained down the inside of the a or b pillars. If the drains are clogged the water will overflow the gutter and drip inside the car.

The gutter drains need to be inspected and cleared.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It is normal for this type of sunroof to leak past the outer seal, but the water is supposed to collect in the gutter system and be drained down the inside of the a or b pillars. If the drains are clogged the water will overflow the gutter and drip inside the car.

The gutter drains need to be inspected and cleared.
Not to disagree, but doesn't the meaning of seal mean to keep the water out? I am just curious as to why it works like this in the first place? Why not just keep the water from getting in in the first place?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Forte is at the dealership this morning for the exact same problem, sunroof leaking. I have my Forte since a whole year now (May 2009) and this problem always been there. I complained to the dealer and they keep telling me that it is normal that a sunroof leaks ! I have been through Kia Canada and had the same answer as the dealer. I can even let a busines card literally fall between the seal and the roof itself, and they keep taking me for an idiot by telling me that maybe I use the sunroof as I should... In my opinion, this is not normal. A brand new car with water going through the sunroof ? No way, I dont get it. If I knew that, I wouldn't bought a sunroof.

So, my experience with Kia for a whole year now tells me that you should not buy a sunroof from Kia. Other than this, car runs very good.

MudmaX.

Well for I cannot fit a business card between my sunroof however I still have a drippy-leak which worries me because of water and dirt build up between the drains and the possibility of it overflowing and getting onto my headliner.

Hopefully I'll have luck with my dealership during next visit.

-Forte333

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not to disagree, but doesn't the meaning of seal mean to keep the water out? I am just curious as to why it works like this in the first place? Why not just keep the water from getting in in the first place?
The only way to make a water tight seal on the outside is to overlap a rubber strip onto the roof when the sunroof is closed - not a very neat or clean look. There's no way to make a tight seal in that area that the sunroof motor can overcome when it's cycling. Then there's the risk of abrasion wear & tear from opening & closing a perfect seal. It'd be a repeated repair / replacement of the seal. So, they size the sunroof panel with minimal clearances engineered in so the sunroof can open and close freely, and water intrusion is caught by the gutter system.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only way to make a water tight seal on the outside is to overlap a rubber strip onto the roof when the sunroof is closed - not a very neat or clean look. There's no way to make a tight seal in that area that the sunroof motor can overcome when it's cycling. Then there's the risk of abrasion wear & tear from opening & closing a perfect seal. It'd be a repeated repair / replacement of the seal. So, they size the sunroof panel with minimal clearances engineered in so the sunroof can open and close freely, and water intrusion is caught by the gutter system.
Thanks for the explanation, I thought it might have had something to do with wear and tear but was just curious as to if that was the full reason or not.

The sunroof is different on the sedan and the koup, correct, I know this is in the sedan section and don't mean to jack the thread but does it work the same way on the koup?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Drove it through the carwash this morning...UGH!!!

Well folks,
Just a bit over a week ago I traded in my spectra for a 2010 forte ex 5 speed with sunroof , white and coffe brown interior. Absolute beauty I must say.
Well this morning on the way in to work I decided to run it through the carwash to give it a shine. Here goes the machine running front to back. no problems. then here it come, back to front. WHOOSH! A giant waterfall of epic proportions all over me, my dash, my passenger seat.
I just stared in disbelief for a few seconds then a vast barrage of cuss words I didn't even know I knew flew out of my mouth.
Took it to the dealer right away.
Salesman told me they are working on finding me an exact replacement but seems it's a bit unusual these days to have a manual transmission.
Riding on a loaner till then.
I am not amused. :mad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, a drip here or there can be expected, but a deluge like that....no. Sounds to me like the glass panel isn't an exact fit for the hole in the roof. Mine gets run through a touch-free car wash all the time and I've never seen a drop of water inside. That's not to say that the leak isn't caught and drained away by the gutter, but I don't get enough water past the panel to overflow the gutter.

Unfortunately, it'll need a new sunroof panel, or a new roof..whichever one is out-of-spec. If the stamping and cutting process didn't cut the roof at the exact size and shape it needs to be, that car will always leak. If the glass panel is out of spec, that's an easy replacement. Finding the piece at fault will be the real challenge.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Unfortunately, the sunroof is a devil to get right. If it does not come correct from the factory - it can be tough to fix. Pay very close attention to the sunroof after they do a repair - and check the paint on your car - take before and after pics of the roof and have them sign off / acknowlege that it is perfect -maybe they can write it up on the order. They might scratch it up while trying to fix it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Mine had leaks during & after any type.of rain. Never taken & driven my 2010 Kia Forte Koup SX 2.4L 6MT thru any drive thru car washes.

I ordered a new sunroof weather strip seal. So far it's been dry. No leaks. Could also be the glass & mating parts are not closing tightly & properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.