Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

(excuse some of my caribbean slang)

I'm getting a scent every time i switch on the air condition unit in my vehicle.
It's a kind of musty scent and lasts for about 1-2 mins from when i put on the AC, after that it's fine.

Did some googling but can't find anything regarding it, and our local dealer said they dunno what it can be i'll have to bring it in to check when im servicing (which is scheduled for Jan 2011).

I checked the intake vents to see if anything died in it or something (under the front windshield) but i didn't see anything.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
10 to 1 it's mildew!

The dealer can clean it with chemicals...

try to remember to shut off the AC and put the blower at max a few minutes before, or a block away from, home/parking to get as much moisture out of the AC system before shutting the car off. The mildew grows because of the moisture in the AC system - condensation on the evaporator...it's common to all makes of cars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually even with the blower on u still smell it, even when i just leave the vents open for external air to come in, same thing, and it reeks!

ForteSX2.4 u think it's something i can do myself? Dealers here charge a crapload of $ for small tasks.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,906 Posts
Actually even with the blower on u still smell it, even when i just leave the vents open for external air to come in, same thing, and it reeks!

ForteSX2.4 u think it's something i can do myself? Dealers here charge a crapload of $ for small tasks.
It's possible you could alleviate it but the service techs know where to spray the solvent.

When you come to the end of your drive, turn off the AC and set the blower to full in an effort to remove as much of the water/condensation before you shut the car off. It is the water/condensation that is allowing the mildew to grow inside your AC system.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Did you piss anyone off? When I feel a vindictive need, I pour the bottom saturated inch of the kitty litter pan into the vents below the windshield of my enemies.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I will Febreze the crap out of that mildew. That will do it!

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
i have the same smell in mine. You should be able to go to any auto parts store and pick up a spray that you spray into the air intake for the ventilation system the is located in the wiper cowl area. You generally turn the a/c on high and spray the chemicals in for about 15-20 seconds. This is exactly what the dealerships or shops do. I used to work at a dealership and this was standard procedure during the summertime in the south.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hyundai has a kit for this.....

If you REALLY want to fix this... Hyundai has an air conditioning/air vent cleaner kit that absolutely works.

Can # 1 is large, has a hose and a funnel end to fit into the air conditioning drip hose underneath the car. Put it together and blast 1/2 the can up into the condenser let it sit a few minutes, the blast the rest of the can in till it's empty. Let it sit for a while, then pull out the hose and all the mildew and stinky crap will drain out.

Can #2 is small, but does a great job on what's left in the vents. Remove the car's interior pollen/interior air filter. Find air intake hole....usually near the top passenger side underneath plastic near passenger windshield wiper. Turn air conditioning off, set air flow 1st. to floor only....blast in 1/3 of the can. Change setting to face vents only....blast 2nd. 1/3 of can. Change air flow to defrost....(make sure air cond. stays off) ...blast remainder of can.

I don't know the part number, but if you go to any Hyundai dealer, they'll know what you're talking about. The 2 cans cost about $20. and I'll verify....I did an old smelly used Elantra, and it cleaned it so there was no smell at all. The condenser cleaning is the key.....if you keep shooting fabreez and lysol into the vents it'll still stink.

Good luck.....this is an easy DIY........ya just gotta be able to find the holes....:eek:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guyzz, i had my vehicle serviced today at 18641 miles.
They changed the cabin filter, and the scent is now gone :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I didn't see this thread till now but I coulda told you that from the beginning lol.. Your cabin filter is right behind your glove box and takes about 5-10 minutes to change and should be changed at least every 12,000 miles or 1 year...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't see this thread till now but I coulda told you that from the beginning lol.. Your cabin filter is right behind your glove box and takes about 5-10 minutes to change and should be changed at least every 12,000 miles or 1 year...
Lol, thanks!

They gave me back the old filters, wow they are disgusting :eek:

·
Registered
533 Posts
The sad part is they were that way after the first 2,000 miles or so with the factory filters.. The best part is when I tell customers they need to change it and they ask "Can't you just blow it out or wash it or something?" and I just laugh back... One time use people thats it.. lol.. Glad your smell is better now..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.