1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 forte 4 dr
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Forte 2.0
72,000 miles
So I bought a new belt. Figured out how to release tension and install it.
Is there a trick to tell if tension is correct?

Like on my old Rabbit 1.6 timing belt, if you could just twist it 90 degrees between 2 particular points, it was OK.

I read to re-tighten the alternator bolt to the same place as the original was. BUT having just replaced a belt in a Yukon, One store brand (AA) was about 1/4" too short, no way we could get it on. Second brand (O'R) worked perfectly.
So different brands might be shorter or longer....

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,901 Posts
If it's new and it doesn't squeal it is correct tension. Did you compare it to the old belt?

·
Registered
384 Posts
If it's new and it doesn't squeal it is correct tension. Did you compare it to the old belt?
Old belt may be stretched so measuring to fit may be an issue your length may be too long, personally I buy stock parts such as a belt from the service department at the dealership; pay a little more but I know it’s going to fit.

·
Registered
2016 forte 4 dr
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All right. Inststalled it tonight.
Here's the easy way:
Make a quick routing sketch- Loosen 2 alternator bolts- loosen tensioner bolt- remove old belt - remove rt front tire- remove rt splash shield, 2 bolts and a pushpin- now you can get at the belt- reverse steps- to tension, tighten so there's about 1/2 inch give between alt. pulley and a/c pulley, that was the play in the old one :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts