Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from the Newbie,

I have been lurking around here for some time while I was looking at a Kia.

So now that I own a Kia Forte Sedan I thought I better sign up.

So for my first question.

Is there a maintenance schedule that exists for severe conditions? The one in the manual is a little vauge. For example under Air Cleaner it says to "replace more frequent". What does that really mean? Under normal conditions its every 30,000miles or every 2 years. I would say if you cut that in half you may be ok.

Bought the car new and going to let the dealer do all the maintence for at least the first 6 years if I decide to keep it that long.

I was a little supprised to see oil changes every 3 months or 3,000miles. That seems a little heavy to me but have to do it to keep the warranty upto date I'm sure.

Looks like the dealer and I may become good friends.

Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My manual indicates 7500 miles and for severe use 5000 miles.

Bill L.
Bill

What year and car do you have?

What does it give for number of months in between oil changes?

I Would love to get it to 5000miles. I guess around here it would be severe conditions only 6 months of the year:)

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is some good reading about oil changes.

Stop Changing Your Oil — Edmunds.com

I have been one of those people that always changed his oil at 3000miles, also did it myself. Now I'm gettting to the point I'm going to let someone else do it. Just not sure I want to see my dealer every 3 months!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a 2010 SX in the United States. My manual says on page 7-12, for severe usage, to change the oil every 3750 miles or 6 months. I change the oil myself every 4000 miles to keep it simple. I use Kia filters and keep all receipts, just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not mind really changing it myself but I'm really not sure I would trust the company to stand behind the warranty if I did it myself.

Even thou I was mechanic in another life time I some how think they would not care!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, as I said, I use Kia filters (to be on the safe side) and I keep all receipts for oil and filters. I keep a little notebook in the glovebox where I record date and mileage of the oil changes.

I feel that with todays superior oils and modern engines, if you follow the recommended oil service intervals, the chance of an oil related failure is remote. And so many people do their own changes, or go to oil change places other than the dealer, that I think the company (Kia) would have to recognize the oil changes.

Bottom line, I don't think you have to worry about doing your own oil changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts