Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I need some advice...

I've come across this: OEM 08 10 Kia Forte Koup Satelite Shark Fin Antenna but I am hesitating between this one and the MARK II Shark Fin from Visual Garage which is colour coded.

However I also came across this website that claims to have the OEM antenna with colour coded : Four Green

So far I have come up with these:
OEM Antenna from ebay: $ 64 + shipping
VG Mark II Antenna: $ 69 + shipping
OEM Antenna from FourGreen: $ 85.00 (excl shipping - which they need to mail be about)

Edit:
Beat Sonic FDA3 (For those with Sirius/Satellite radio): Around $58.80 + Shipping
Beat Sonic FDA4 (For those with AM/FM only): Around $51.80 + Shipping
(Note for those who are nearer to Japan: I've got the FDA4 much cheaper from Beat Sonic Japan)

So my questions are:
1. Anyone has the OEM Shark Fin antenna and can advise on how easy it is to replace the unicorn with this one?
2. Which one do you think I should go for?
3. Do you guys think that a black OEM Shark Fin antenna will look nice on a Titanium Silver Koup?
4. I don't have Satellite radio in my country and neither does my Koup support it, do you think that the OEM will still fit my car?

Your feedback is much appreciated...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Four green has no image so couldn't tell you, but the VG antenna works well just like the OEM unicorn. Installation is simple just need to take your time to make sure you get everything to line up straight and you dont install it crooked. Took about 15 minutes and you can have it painted what ever color you want. Black is a good option for silver.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So finally someone else found this antenna on ebay. LOL. I have asked the seller a few questions about this product. He does claim that it is Sirius and radio (still not sure myself). I noticed in the install it said a new hole and wiring needed. I asked about this and there was no clarification besides you need to wire and I can not help.

This looks to me to be the antenna from a Genisis but they are XM and using a XM antenna is not recommended as you will not get full signal.

With all this being said I am so close to ordering to find out for myself. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've also been wondering about that one! It looks like the same from the 2011 Koup preview photos.. I really like the looks of that one (looks like it might be slightly smaller than the VG), but I really don't feel like drilling a new hole in my roof.. Has anyone pulled the antenna base off our cars? I'm wondering what's underneath.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
From looking on Kiatechinfo (KGIS) there is only one hole in the roof right now, from what I can see; but like I said I am almost willing to bite the bullet and order this. LOL. Someone has to be the first.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also been wondering about that one! It looks like the same from the 2011 Koup preview photos.. I really like the looks of that one (looks like it might be slightly smaller than the VG), but I really don't feel like drilling a new hole in my roof.. Has anyone pulled the antenna base off our cars? I'm wondering what's underneath.
Hmm thats what I want to know as well, how is the base like underneath.

Are you sure that it needs a new hole drilled? That would be a pity cause I don't think anyone of us would want to drill a new hole in the roof...

I like the VG but I think an OEM one is more original.
FEARtheFOX the one on ebay even has a part number: 96210 1M700 but anyone know if it is that a KIA part number?

If the 2011 version has it then we should get it somewhere???

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
From what I know no 2011 koup comes with a fin. I have wondered about asking one of my friends (part guy for KIA) to look it up and get a hyundai guy to look it up. As I personally think it is from a Genesis. I'll try and find out about the part number.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The SEMA version seems to have it... I wonder if its only a cover like the VG one or a real shark fin antenna

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Suppose to be a real fin. Very similar to the current Genesis, except Genesis is XM. Sent info to my guys at Kia hope to get an answer soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2011 optima is a freaking nice looking car, it even has sharkfin antenna, spoiler, dual exhausts and projector headlights just to name a few... so there is not much aftermarket stuffs that you can add to it :) I think Kia has someone peeping over this forum to see what the market wants :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attached is the layout for the current stock antenna from KGIS. It would seem to have 2 holes.. but can someone please confirm?

Antenna Layout

Also I have the impression the dome trim will need to be removed in order to remove the antenna base which seems to be a bit harder than expected...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, i've contacted Beat Sonic USA who claims that their Shark Fin Antenna model FDA3 should fit on the Forte Koup. Has anyone bought/placed this?

Based where I am, they said that they could have their Japan branch ship it to me.

Any thoughts please...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, i've contacted Beat Sonic USA who claims that their Shark Fin Antenna model FDA3 should fit on the Forte Koup. Has anyone bought/placed this?

Based where I am, they said that they could have their Japan branch ship it to me.

Any thoughts please...?
It might fit. Just make sure you don't buy the FDA4, which I can say for a fact does not fit, although it would look sick if it did. :mad:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just received the FDA4 which I bought unpainted (around $30 excl. shipping). And it does fit the Koup perfectly!!! Quality looks great, I will post some pics of it as-is tomorrow. A friend of mine will get it painted to my colour code over the week-end and when its all done I will post some pics...

It might fit. Just make sure you don't buy the FDA4, which I can say for a fact does not fit, although it would look sick if it did. :mad:
RobForte you are right for US Koups... For those of you that have Sirius/Satellite, the antenna base is larger and so the FDA4 would not fit. In that case you may want to consider the FDA3... but where I am we have the basic AM/FM antenna which has a much smaller base.

I will edit the first post to add this antenna as well... ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
RobForte you are right for US Koups... For those of you that have Sirius/Satellite, the antenna base is larger and so the FDA4 would not fit. In that case you may want to consider the FDA3... but where I am we have the basic AM/FM antenna which has a much smaller base.

I will edit the first post to add this antenna as well... ;)
No wonder it didn't fit. The person who got it for me swore it fit when he saw it at a trade show and now I know why.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I have managed to get my Sharkfin antenna painted I and placed it last week end. It fits perfectly and gives the Koup a quite classy look...

Sorry for bad quality mobile pics, will take some more when I get my camera back...

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Anyone know if VG is coming back or not? I want to get one of their shark fins, but it says their site is under construction and was supposed to be back up on july 1st...?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone know if VG is coming back or not? I want to get one of their shark fins, but it says their site is under construction and was supposed to be back up on july 1st...?
They still have listings on Amazon. Here is the ebony black version.

I want to get the black version as well after wrapping the roof in gloss black 3M vinyl. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with this sharkfin antenna.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.