Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen the thread about my Koup being wrecked. I dropped it off at the body shop earlier today and thinking about making a couple changes while it's in there. Just have a few questions before I decide to do it.

First change I want to make is the tails. Both Passenger side tails are busted so the insurance company is giving a little over $300 for the replacement parts. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Shark Racing OEM LEDs, and all I will have to pay is the difference. Just got a few questions before I do it.

1: Is there any difference between those tails and the 2011 North American "Technology Package" tails? Don't want to get harassed about them not being NA market version.

2: For those who bought these from Shark Racing, how long did shipping take? The body whop is saying the car will be done in about three weeks from Monday, need to have them by then, preferably within two weeks.

3: Shark Racing site says wiring may be required, what does this involve? If they outer portion will work properly without wiring mods, I'll do the inner portion myself after I get it back rather than paying them for it.

Second change is a wing spoiler. I have decided that I like the factory wing spoiler for these cars, and was thinking of adding one before the accident. Was told a little over $300 for it by a dealer in Atlanta last weekend, that was without paint or install. Since the rear half of the car will be getting repainted this is the ideal time to get it painted and installed. Aside from E-bay, has anyone found a better price on the OEM wing?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Eh good luck finding someone on here who bought the tails =/. I would say they are probably plug and play, might as well send them an e-mail and ask them that way. Also about the spoiler, i would go with ebay, but if you dont like ebay, you can also google shopping search "forte koup OEM spoiler" and see what comes up.

This website has it primed ready for paint for 164 shipped: spoiler

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hello. I have a 2010 Koup and I ordered and installed the LED taillights. The lights are OEM, so there is no difference, since they are the same lights. They are purely plug and play so you will have no issues with them at all. Don't remember the exact shipping time, but they took less than I thought. Sorry to hear about the accident, but I know you'll like the upgrades, especially the lights. Good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good luck? I've already seen a few people on here who bought them, it was those threads that got me interested. That's also how I was able to tell the body shop that Shark Racing had the best prices. Hoping those members will be able to give me some feedback. I found them through the search and had a choice of bring back multiple old topics or starting a single new one to ask my questions, I chose the latter.

As for E-bay, I don't have a problem with it, but I'm not planning to buy it myself. I will be letting the body shop buy it and will pay them for the part. If I find a lower price than they do I want an actual site or page to reference them to rather than an auction that may or may not still be there. Not to mention they have a lot on there that say factory spoiler but aren't. The same happens when using the search term you suggested in Google, I had already tried it. Looking like the only place to get it may be E-bay or the dealer, so if price is ridiculous through the shop then I'll buy off E-bay myself and take it in.

IE:
The one you posted

The real OEM unit

Picture borrowed from DetourDave, hope he doesn't mind.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I believe that's the factory spoiler from the 10, and the 11 is the newer version, but I could be wrong. Sorry I couldnt be of help though but it looks like from the other post that the tails are plug and play.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
As you said, the second is the factory spoiler, the first is the SI spoiler that others on here also have on their Koups. As for the lights, as I stated in my first comment, they're plug and play, no additional work or modding is needed, the shipping is decently quick, and SharkRacing will be the best price you'll find. They look awesome.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Anthony, I appreciate the input anyway. Lot of people seem to think that is the factory one as well, I think it's because many dealers had it installed before the Kia one was even available. It doesn't look bad but I don't like the way it swells on either end above the posts. I really like the KIA assembly, with the shape of the ends and how it is more even with the back edge of the trunk lid. Also if I have any problems with it other than paint, right back to KIA I go for warranty work.

DePR, was in process of typing my response when you made your first post so didn't see it in time. Saw your video of the tails and think I figured out what the wiring is for. On the standard tails some people mod the wiring to make the truck lid parts function as brake lights as well. That is probably the wiring they are referring to.

So if I get them to go ahead with buying these tails next week they should be here by the time they finish the car in three weeks. Can't recall ever buying anything like this that ships from across the big water. So I don't have a clue how long it takes.

Only problem I have with getting the tails is now I'll have to keep my eyes open for a set of 2011 mirrors. Do all 2011 Koup mirrors have the LEDs? If so, someone needs to hurry up and total a silver 2011 Koup with in my area.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
LOL Sure....you're just ignoring me. :p Don't wish that on anyone man. I know it's more money, but you can purchase the LED side mirrors and install them. Someone else on here did it for their 2010. Oh, and the video of the taillight install wasn't me. ;) But I think that person also wired the inside lights to work as brake lights. That's what you're wanting to do correct? I know that on the 2011 tails all four light up, but with installing these on ours only the outside ones do. Oh and yes, all of the 2011 mirrors are LED I believe.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL Sure....you're just ignoring me. :p Don't wish that on anyone man. I know it's more money, but you can purchase the LED side mirrors and install them. Someone else on here did it for their 2010. Oh, and the video of the taillight install wasn't me. ;) But I think that person also wired the inside lights to work as brake lights. That's what you're wanting to do correct? I know that on the 2011 tails all four light up, but with installing these on ours only the outside ones do. Oh and yes, all of the 2011 mirrors are LED I believe.
Not wishing it on anyone, but I know it's gonna happen. I also wanted the same for a 3.5L Eco Boost F-150, wanted the engine for a 86 ranger I'm building. Hasn't happened yet, but found a 5.0L Explorer for $500. Getting of my own topic.

I know I saw a video where it was just the outers that lit for brake lights. Yes that's what I'm wanting to do. From what I understand it's a simple matter of running an additional wire or two.

Stockey thanks for the replies as well! Will definitely be going with those tails. Was going to keep this car stock for another year or two while I finished up other projects and made sure I was the car for me. Guess that's off now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anybody got a part number for the factory spoiler kit? Body shop said they couldn't find a listing for it on their systems. They have their Kia parts supplier searching but I want to make sure they get the right one. Figure if I can give them the part number it should be right. Any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
1m034-adu01

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man! Still ain't gettin my head lights though.

Am I remembering right that this thing comes with everything needed to mount and wire it? Just have to paint and install.

BTW I've considered doing a projector conversion down the road myself. You say Bi-Xenon. Are you planning to just use dual element bulbs in standard projectors or will you be using mechanical projectors?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
The Ones I'm looking at have a mechanical cutoff, that drops out of the way for high beams.
I've not installed a spoiler, I pulled that part number from another thread here.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you need any photos or part numbers for the spoiler/factory tails let me know. I own a fully loaded 2011 SX with a spoiler and the LED tails from the factory.

EDIT: The images that Josh posted have changed since 2011.. Both the spoilers and the taillights.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EDIT: The images that Josh posted have changed since 2011.. Both the spoilers and the taillights.
:confused:
Care to explain?

I never posted a pic of the 2011 LED Taillights, figured everyone knew what they looked like by now. The second pic I posted is supposed to be same as the 2011 factory spoiler.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Lol sorry man.. I was looking at the first picture for both.. The spoiler in the first picture looks more aggressive then the 2011 version. The LED tails are gorgeous though.. They blind people and got a lot of attention at the local meet here in Spotsylvania, VA.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I like the factory spoiler, gonna get me one this summer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the body shop is telling me $490 for the spoiler, paint, and install. Is this to much?

I was expecting lower, since they were painting anyway didn't figure it would cost much if anything extra to paint the back end of the car with spoiler as opposed to without one. They told me it would be about 280 for the spoiler itself, figured around that since it was 245 online and didn't have a problem with that price. When I talked to him last week he said he was going to try to get a lower price on it from his supplier. That was also when he initially told me 490 estimate which would be price if they were doing just that work nothing else (no repair work). Never approved the work at that price. At that time he was going to speak with his boss/shop owner and see about getting the materials/labor cut down some because of the other repair work being done. Well stopped in today to check on progress (hasn't been any because they keep receiving wrong body panels), and he said the spoiler was ordered and price was going to be as estimated. I told them to call me when they got a final price and I would decide then, never got a call and never approved the work at that price. If the 490 is a fair price for the work I may go with it, but if it's high considering the other work being done I'll call and tell them to cancel the order.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts