Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I now have a set of fog lamps courtesy of Kinetic Motorsports. However, since I have an EX there's no wiring connecting them to the rest of the car, so they're just dummy lamps until I get everything wired up. Now, I'm not sure if I want to go with HIDs yet, I've seen the 3000K HID fog on my friend's Sonata and during warm up they are really green, I'm assuming it's the cheap kind? Does anyone have a picture of the actual color output for the DiodeDynamics' set?

The main point of this thread is this:
Shark Racing

This seems like a good product that would eliminate a lot of unnecessary wiring if you need to install after market/extra light on the car. I have looked through the installation thread for the fogs and was wondering could I just plug the pigtails from the fog straight through these? Or do you recommend the harnesses mentioned in the installation guide. Are grounding the lights that big of a deal? And would blowing the fuse be a great risk? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, I just wanted to make sure before I pull the trigger. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The issue I see with doing it the way you explain is that you are adding and additional load on the headlight circuit to power the fogs. It could at some point blow the fuse but I'd worry more about the voltage drop to the headlights essentially causing them to dim.

When referring to the fog light install thread with the use of the universal harness you are pulling power straight from the battery. This keeps you from adding load to another circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue I see with doing it the way you explain is that you are adding and additional load on the headlight circuit to power the fogs. It could at some point blow the fuse but I'd worry more about the voltage drop to the headlights essentially causing them to dim.

When referring to the fog light install thread with the use of the universal harness you are pulling power straight from the battery. This keeps you from adding load to another circuit.
Thanks a lot for the reply. I think I'll go with that route.

·
Registered
289 Posts
ditto on the extra load. I would us the harness as a trigger for a relay and pull power from the battery directly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reply. I think I'll go with that route.
You are welcome. If you have any hangups feel free to PM me.

ditto on the extra load. I would us the harness as a trigger for a relay and pull power from the battery directly.
Correct. In my fog install thread you could eliminate the run thru the firewall and tap directly into this harness to trigger the relay. Of course with that said you will have no access to a switch to operate the fogs unless you went under the hood. I never access my switch as I like the fogs to come on with the parking lights all the time but if you are one of those people who would like control then you'd need to run thru the firewall.

IMO skip these harnesses. All it's going to do is add $35 to your install. Getting the switch thru the firewall is cake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts