Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2010 SX with the 5spd auto trans. I notice that the trans won't let me shift from 4th to 5th unless I'm going faster than 45mph. Does this seem normal to those of you who use the Sportmatic? Can anyone tell me what shift speed intervals seem to work best re: fuel economy?

Thanks for sharing the benefit of your experience!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have used the Sportmatic a lot. First, I don't recommend using it on a regular basis, using the automatic in D is what the car likes for best fuel economy [there is no clutch so you do not benefit from 'coasting'] . The Sportmatic shines when you are in snow/ice and you want more control over the car, so rather than using the brakes to slow the car down you can shift it from
3-2-1 and bring the car to a nice even stop with minimum brakes.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,837 Posts
^^^I agree...if you're looking for best fuel economy just leave it in "D". Putting the tranny in 5th at low speeds does not always provide the best MPG -- it can put a load on the engine requiring more throttle to maintain speed than if you are in 4th.

·
Registered
973 Posts
with a typical 5 speed manual transmission it is generally not good practice to go into 5th gear (usually overdrive) at less than 50mph

·
Registered
585 Posts
Having it in drive gets better mileage. But its more fun to drive in sportmatic :D
I personally don't see any fun in driving in 'Sportmatic' mode. There is no clutch, no neutral, no true downshift/upshift...it was meant for improving driving conditions [like ice and snow] ..not for sporty driving. It has been wrongly named..it should be called 'D1, D2, D3'

·
Registered
405 Posts
Don't know for the 5 speeds, but my 4spd AT Shifts really too soon. At 35mph, the car is in 4 th... the engines looks like he want to die !

Again, i have a 4 speeds, but i shift between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Got a better MPG that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sportmatic serious?

I have a 2010 Kia Forte sx that I brought in august of 2010. I brought a Kind of suped up Forte (Special Edition) right off the dealership floor, so I was able to test drive it with a car salesman before I got it. He showed me how it works, but I just don't get it. I see no benefit in using it. When I test drove it he took me onto a highway and put the sportmatic in use. I was not impressed..lol. I loved the car so I got it anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Rondo V6 and I use the "manual" shifting only when I go on highway, in city, it's better to use "auto" shifting to have better fuel economy. And yes, the 5th speed on it won't let me shift it under 65km/h ( sorry, I'm from Qc, Canada ).

My wife just bought a new Forte Koup SX with 6 speeds auto transmission and paddle shift and THAT's is really fun !!! Good chance I don't work with, it will cost me a lot in fuel !!! But for this one, I can shift in 6th speed at 60km/h.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts