Kia Forte Forum banner

Shifting into Neutral at stops with an auto.

7K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  BAF 
#1 ·
Good idea, or bad idea, and why?

Thanks all!

#2 ·
I've always been a fan, but until now it was because my old car vibrated if it was in drive sitting at a stop light; my Koup is manual...

My last car (2000 KIA Sephia) never had any engine problems (except for the alternator belt wearing out and falling off) and I did it all the time. I have done little research on it though

#3 ·
I shift into neutral every time I come to a stoplight, just because my clutch foot gets tired.

What's the point of doing it with an auto?

#5 ·
I test drove a Saturn Astra one time. It automatically shifted into neutral when stopped. There was a slight jerk when you took off again, I assume because the revs increased slightly when you stepped on the gas before it realized it was supposed to be in gear.

#7 ·
Your driving instructor will tell you to leave it in gear, your mechanic will tell you to leave it in gear, tree-huggers say neutral and your mother will tell you to go ask your father.

- Point A is already been stated: in gear you can be quicker to get out of the way should necessity dictate.

- Point B is due to heat: torque converters holding a stopped car in gear generate more heat than when idling in neutral. Heat kills transmissions, and wears things out faster. Of course it's not like it's going to melt things - your transmission has a robust cooler system and so on a modern transmission (especially the Forte) there will be no additional heat generated that cannot be shed by the system. As well, the internal clutches and solenoids that shift in and out of gear will bear the majority of the work, and could actually fail. I know a very well respected transmission builder and he says "leave it in gear". His word - to me - is gold. The trans cooler on a Forte is about the same size as ones I have seen on 80's vintage 3/4 ton trucks... we've come a LONG way in reducing the heat in components so that little things like a long red light are not going to make any difference at all.

- Point C is based on the thought that an engine at idle under load requires more fuel to maintain it's idle than a engine without load. I agree, but to what extent... are we talking 'half' the fuel used over a period of time, or maybe a few percentage points more... if there is a benefit here, and you follow it... that first jack-rabbit start you do will surely negate ANY gains you may have had.

- Point D was just for fun.

#11 ·
I did it one time and forgot it was on neutral so i down shifted to drive while rpms were at maybe 5k and bang took off but then the car really slowed down like a turtle (over exagerating) but really it should of taking off and kept on going not in my case. Like i said it took off when i placed it on D and then it really slowed down A LOT it really freaked me out.

#12 ·
Normally I would keep it in gear, it was designed to operate that way.

UNLESS... in slippery conditions I like to shift to neutral as I approach a stop as of course takes the drive off the wheels and makes stopping easier. Now this was the way I did it before I had a vehicle with ABS so it might be a whole different ball game now!

#14 ·
Don't forget...every time you use the starter to start the car you use up some of the brushes...

Common sense says just leave it in drive...literally MILLIONS of drivers have and it doesn't affect anything!!! Worry about the serious things...like thoughtless/inconsiderate drivers and roadrage!

#17 ·
What he said above. This is ridiculous. Leave it in Drive. You're not saving anything by shifting to Neutral. Automatic transmissions have been around a long time and none of them have ever come with instructions to shift into Neutral while driving.

#18 ·
Between me and my wife we have been driving a Nissan Sentra automatic for 10 years. We have always left in drive, except for the one week it was stalling due to a bad sensor. The car is still in great shape and I daily drive it while my wife gets to take the Forte. Just leave it in D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.