Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at the posibility of cutting off the shifter in the car to make it shorter? I haven't pulled it out of the car to look but if the backup lockout just sits on the shifter rod and is held on my the shifter knob, couldn't we just cut the rod shorter and rethread it to take the ball lower?

I don't know if it is possible on our cars or not. Just looking for a way to do it without buying the $200 kit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the kit also decreases the distance that the stick has to travel further than shortening the stick alone would create. Doesn't it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe so. That would help justify the cost a little more. I would love to be able to see the two shifters out of the car side by side.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to find one at a junk yard I can get the shifter and take a look at. I bet it could be done relative cheap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i have the kia sport shifter and it shortens the throw.... i wouldnt cut hte factory stick unless you dont care about reverse lockout.... but could be done

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could always cut the reverse lockout and shorten that as well couldn't you?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could always cut the reverse lockout and shorten that as well couldn't you?
I looked at that. It could be done, but it would not be easy. The way the shifter makes a jog to the left at the reverse lockout would make it more difficult. When I saw that I didn't even check to see if the shaft itself is hardened or not. If it is then rethreading it for the ball would not be fun.

This could be done and if I had a second second stick to do it on I probably would do it. I just don't think I want to go cutting mine off and then running in to an issue that makes using my car difficult.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ill sell you my stock stick lol

I looked at that. It could be done, but it would not be easy. The way the shifter makes a jog to the left at the reverse lockout would make it more difficult. When I saw that I didn't even check to see if the shaft itself is hardened or not. If it is then rethreading it for the ball would not be fun.

This could be done and if I had a second second stick to do it on I probably would do it. I just don't think I want to go cutting mine off and then running in to an issue that makes using my car difficult.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts