Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, has anyone found a short shifter for the 2.4 Koup 6sp?

Thanks

BW

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's already pretty short IMO and feels pretty smooth to me... I will admit I don't like 5th too much as it is a lil reach... Other than that I'm fine with it, plus I only hit 5th on the highway and that's not too often so not much of a problem.. This is my first 6spd so call me crazy but anyone with more experience I would love to hear your opinions..

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
With the way the RPMs hang up top the short shifter is just going to make the re-engagement during shifts more abrupt... No?
ofcourse just like when i shift into 2nd when im banging the gears tends to scratch i am yet to figure this out

·
Registered
6 Posts
I test drove the mitsubishi lancer se first and then the kia sx. I hated the 6spd manual on the sx!

Compared to the lancer, the shifting was much, much longer and not as smooth. I would definitely love try to the sx with a "sportier" gear box then the stock. Right now, Im sitting on the fence with the sx. I like the car in every way but the shifting!

If I do get the SX and swap out the gearbox; will that void the powertrain warranty or any other warranty?

·
Registered
129 Posts
ahhh, yea. they'll void the warrenty if you change almost any of the fluids with anything but their own. the only fluid that you can change and not void the warranty is the oil. but honestly, you'll get more everywhere else over the lancer. more power, more convenience, and better warranty. the se isn't even their best budget lancer.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hyundai sells B&M 5sp & B&M 6sp short shifter. It may be the same.

Also, a shifter bushing kit will probably help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone confirm if B&M 6sp Hyundai short shifter will or will not work?

BW

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
The grinding in 2nd gear is a manufacturer defect. The intermittent girding occurs when shifting into 2nd gear. I filed a complaint with KIA motors of America, to make this story short, they gave me a new transmission. This happened months ago to me and 2 other guys. The following link has the story..

UNBELEIVABLE!!!! new tranny needed at 600 miles??!! - Kia Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blackwatch

Talk to the service department of the dealership you got your car from. They should be able to order you a "sport performance shifter (Short throw)".

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kia has a short throw shifter for sale. Details can be found on the 12th page of the sxr build thread. Click Here

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I just had TWM performance short throw shifter installed by them, tonight... It's just a prototype. Should be available very soon. I'll post pictures before the end of the week. All made from aluminum even the reverse lock. Price wise it should be around 200$. The throw is reduce by about 30%. I also have the base and shifter cables bushings installed. Right now I'm one happy dude :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Can't wait to see the results and see the shifter at a meet,BTW MAX when i will put my winter rims,,i will probably sell my SX rims,if you are still interested tell me,my Audi S5 rims are on order.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Kia sells the shirtshifter through the service/parts department. I am sure this won't void your warranty. And you may get what you want. Cost is around 250$, atleast that is what I was quoted.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Wow really? KIA is selling a short shifter? How much shorter is it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Price of the shifter I poster is about $205 from a Kia dealer in Florida. I believe KOUP SXR measured his throw to be 7/8ths shorter between 1st and 2nd.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Price of the shifter I poster is about $205 from a Kia dealer in Florida. I believe KOUP SXR measured his throw to be 7/8ths shorter between 1st and 2nd.
Yup, just under 1" shorter than stock.

:DI couldn't be happier with this upgrade. I highly recommend it!:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah it definitely seems like a great choice. Probably one of my future mods....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts