Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title suggest I am a bit concerned about whether when changing parts dealers should or are bound to fit OEM spare parts on a car that they are servicing.

Where i'm from, the dealership has just been changed and another company is now representing KIA. I sent my car to be serviced today and they have just called me up say that they need to replace my cabin/pollen filter and I need to pay for that which I guess makes sense...

However, are they obliged to replace it with a KIA OEM filter or they could do away with putting just any other brand that fits on that car? Not only for air filters but for other stuffs as well...?

EDIT: I just came back from my dealer and they fitted OEM pollen filter and suddenly my aircon works much better than before. Even the strange sounds that used to come from it have stopped.

My original question came because I have a friend who owns another make and the guys at his dealership did not put in OEM parts in his car but another make of the same spare part... I think some dealers, especially in developing countries like where I am would at times use cheaper parts during servicing and mostly when you are not there to see what they are putting or parts that you would not be able to counter verify...

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think it mostly has to do with the dealer and manufacturer agreements, business, that is. The dealer is obligated to sell OEM parts from KIA to insure #1. that KIA still profits from parts sales, and #2. Warranty coverage is maintained on the vehicle since the vehicle was tested from the factory with OEM parts.

My previous experience with some dealers, not necessarily KIA would be that many times if I needed a part for say, my Volvo, the dealer would suggest that I go to a local parts store and buy the part. Many times it was the exact same part and manufacturer but it was at least 50% cheaper because it didn't have to be ordered from Sweden.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I thought this thread would be about spare tires. I think all car manufacturers should include a fifth full size matching wheel instead of a donut.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I thought this thread would be about spare tires. I think all car manufacturers should include a fifth full size matching wheel instead of a donut.
Ha! I thought the same thing! And yes, they should include a full size spare tire! That way you don't have a limited amount of time (miles) to get your flat repaired before the spare (donut) expires!:eek: And it wouldn't look stupid either!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
i thought same thing the rest of you did-
then i saw the location of the poster- Mauritius.
then thought to myself.......
wow- 1)thats one of the many islands i want to go to
and 2) wow- kia fortes are there? ......futher reinforces #1.......i could live on a beautiful island that has koups ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It really depends on part availability. At the Ford dealership I work at, we will use an aftermarket part from a source in town to get the vehicle fixed ASAP instead of ordering OEM parts. Mostly happens with filters, front end parts and brakes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i thought same thing the rest of you did-
then i saw the location of the poster- Mauritius.
then thought to myself.......
wow- 1)thats one of the many islands i want to go to
and 2) wow- kia fortes are there? ......futher reinforces #1.......i could live on a beautiful island that has koups ;)
Lol tampajoey yuu are most welcomed here only that we have the 1.6L engine only for the time being...

Btw... I have a fifth full size matching wheel in my trunk... when I had my wheel inserts painted last week end I even painted those on the spare tire. Would that be any different for you guys???

·
Registered
45 Posts
im not sure about other dealerships but the one i work at uses oem parts from the parts department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts