Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought My Titanium Koup back in October '09 and regret a few things. At the time I literally needed a vehicle that day so I wasn't going home empty handed and immediately fell in love with the Titanium color. The only one they had available was an EX and then they had a blue SX and a black SX neither of which I was too fond of for some reason.

So now I have about 30,000 miles on it and because I financed it and traded in a pos Dodge that I still owed money on, I still owe about $20k on the Koup. If I trade it in I figure I might be able to get about $14k on it and then I'd probably put another $2k or $3k down from my tax refund.

I'm kind of an impulse buyer so I need a little help on deciding if this is really worth it? Obviously I'm gonna lose a little money here but I want the few extras the SX comes with. I want the new LED taillights and side mirrors, the extra horsepower and the six speed transmission, and I'd like to have the fogs and glossy black trim.

What do you guys think? I either need validation or someone to stop me. :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
Koup EX for a SX Koup... Always an awesome idea... :D Just make sure you stay Titanium or i will hate you.\

I understand the impulsiveness , I bought mine the same day i testdrove.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So I bought My Titanium Koup back in October '09 and regret a few things. At the time I literally needed a vehicle that day so I wasn't going home empty handed and immediately fell in love with the Titanium color. The only one they had available was an EX and then they had a blue SX and a black SX neither of which I was too fond of for some reason.

So now I have about 30,000 miles on it and because I financed it and traded in a pos Dodge that I still owed money on, I still owe about $20k on the Koup. If I trade it in I figure I might be able to get about $14k on it and then I'd probably put another $2k or $3k down from my tax refund.

I'm kind of an impulse buyer so I need a little help on deciding if this is really worth it? Obviously I'm gonna lose a little money here but I want the few extras the SX comes with. I want the new LED taillights and side mirrors, the extra horsepower and the six speed transmission, and I'd like to have the fogs and glossy black trim.

What do you guys think? I either need validation or someone to stop me. :D
It depends, how reliable is your income? If you can honestly say you'll be able to afford payments for the next 2 years then I don't see why not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
id say, keep the 2.0..! you get better gas mileage, and by the time you pay it off, there will probably be a turbo forte. never have 2nd doubts lol.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I think you should just wait until the end of the year and see if the 2012 koup has a turbo (plus other additions) and trade up then. For the thousands of dollars you will be losing with this deal, you're only gunna want the '12 koup more and that's most likely going to have all of these things you want with the SX plus more and for probably the money you will be losing on the EX to SX swap. Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'd wait a year and see if the 2012's get any performance boosts, per GDI or turbo...

Chances are they'll at least give it the GDI to keep up with the ever evolving "econobox-performance" cars.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i agree with waiting... you can save a little more money on the side for the next year and have a bigger down payment... I went to the dealership the other day to try and trade up for an SX and they said i would have to put 5-8K down to get payments around 300/month.... idk what you currently pay but that just seems ridiculous to me

·
Registered
202 Posts
My grand daddy said to me years ago..

Do you "WANT THIS" or do you "NEED THIS" ? Along with that statement he said as long as you can afford the "WANT THIS" its ok. And also make sure that when you get your pay cheque you save a little for a rainy day, thats called paying "YOURSELF"

So do you want the new koup or do you need the new koup, good luck....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would say wait until the 2012 is out then if it isn't as compelling as the 2011 is to you right now you will get a better deal on the '11 which will help keeping the payments in check.

I don't see how you could still owe $20,000 on your Koup after about 15 months. Did you roll some existing payments from your previous car into the deal? Use your tax refund to get this one into the black.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I think you should sell the EX yourself (craigslist) and put the money towards the loan and get the title from the bank to complete the sale.

Get a new loan all together for the SX; use your tax refund on your down payment.

You'll have lower payments and less money owed overall.

As said, probably should wait for 2012's.

·
Registered
641 Posts
At least make extra payments until you are no longer upside down on your loan. Once you've got a little equity, then you could think about it. Stacking one upside down loan into yet another is just a recipe for disaster.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
You will not get 14k for your koup (or at least not from the dealer).. it will cost you way more in the end to upgrade. Since you will be increasing the loan amount, the amount of interest you pay each year will also increase... is it really worth it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
i would definitely wait, as everyone says there would be a high chance the powertrain will get an upgrade and there will probably be more extras by then too. thats what i am waiting for. now if you were talking about upgrading to an optima that'd be a different story haha

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I agree with not getting in while still upside down on your load. What are you missing in the EX that you really want in the SX? Maybe a few upgrades like a CAI, exhaust, have an upholstery shop doing something fancy and custom with the seats or get some nice LED DRLs added.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I think you should sell the EX yourself (craigslist) and put the money towards the loan and get the title from the bank to complete the sale.

Get a new loan all together for the SX; use your tax refund on your down payment.

You'll have lower payments and less money owed overall.

As said, probably should wait for 2012's.
there is alot of good advice here from others but I like Heralteregos idea the best.

this way you'll have a better payment plan for the new car and will have more money for mods down the road..
worth the wait too sell and save if you can:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts