Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to change the bulbs in the side mirrors? How does the cover come off?

Thanks

BW

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's listed in the owners manual on how to change them with pictures and everything...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill have to look through it again, I didnt see anything about them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's listed in the owners manual on how to change them with pictures and everything...

Just looked though the manual again, cant find anything about the side mirrors, can you tell me where in the manual?

Thanks

BW

·
Registered
78 Posts
1.Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
2.Remove the glass (A) from glass holder.

Be careful not to damage the fixing clip.

3.Remove the bulb mounting screw (A).

4.Remove the door mirror cover (A).

5.Detach the lense (A) from bulb of door mirror.

6.Detach the lense (A).

7.Replace the bulb (A) from bulb holder.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.Disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal.
2.Remove the glass (A) from glass holder.

Be careful not to damage the fixing clip.

3.Remove the bulb mounting screw (A).

4.Remove the door mirror cover (A).

5.Detach the lense (A) from bulb of door mirror.

6.Detach the lense (A).

7.Replace the bulb (A) from bulb holder.
AWESOME!! Thanks ALOT! now just need to find the bulb number and replace it with a clear one!

BW

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
BlackWatch did you ever find out what the bulb type is for the side mirror? I'm looking to replace it with a two-way white and amber led.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I haven't yet, but some guys have said its a standard wedge bulb, 168/T10 I think....should be the same bulb as the license plate bulbs. if you can hang on for a few days i'm gonna pull the cover off and make sure.

BW

·
Registered
533 Posts
Ya I'd like to know cause I wanna get clear bulbs that light orange... I like having all the lights clear It just looks cleaner IMO.. thanks for doing the legwork for us lol!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, gimme a few days, i'll try and get to it this weekend...

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Ya I'd like to know cause I wanna get clear bulbs that light orange... I like having all the lights clear It just looks cleaner IMO.. thanks for doing the legwork for us lol!!
Agree with you........ clear look "cleaner" :) But with the copperhaed amber look better, other color should benefit more from clear light!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had my whole mirror replaced by Kia Dealer due to a fault. Now I have a whistle noise and its coming from the painted cover so make sure it fits back on tightly, I will take mine to the dealer and have then fix it on properly this time

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ok, gimme a few days, i'll try and get to it this weekend...
Did you ever get a chance to do this? Just curious how easy it was and what bulb type...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the painted covers off the other day, I was trying to do this without taking the glass out, it looks possible with the right screwdriver but didnt have the right one. Im scared of breaking the glass or the mounting. if you turn your mirror to the one side you can see the screw, just need the right driver to get in there.

The painted cover comes off with a "pull" on the clips.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Im scared of breaking the glass or the mounting.
My fear as well. Maybe I'll just have to give it a shot this next weekend. Supposedly the glass just "pops" out. Not sure what exactly that means...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really think you can get the mounting screw out without popping the glass out. Just need a "skewy" OR a right angle screwdriver...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys I just went and pulled it out, I managed to get the screw out with a regular Philips screwdriver, its tight but its possible. I dropped the screw 50 times trying to get it back in but i managed, LOL

I did break 1 of the clips on the painted cover, but thats my own fault its cold here tonight and should have waited until the sun was out. It still seems to hold in place though.

Looks like a 194 wedge bulb??? anyone confirm thats the bulb number since i got it out? LOL

I have also heard that LED's will not work with the flasher, can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

BW

Attachments

·
Registered
696 Posts
I believe both 194 and 921 wedge bulbs will work, assuming you have enough clearance for the "head" of the bulb. I haven't heard anything about LED's not working with the flasher, but it would interesting to find out....

Thanks for the pics! That doesn't look very hard to get to at all, with a little patience that is.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts