Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this morning was the first time I used the "slap stick" (old school for manual gear change) on my 5 speed auto. I have found a whole new performance level in this little car. It seems that in drive, with ECO on, it runs through the gears too fast and tends to labor the motor at lower speeds. This was a good way to blow a head gasket in the old days of big block standards.

Watch out traffic, daddy's got a new merge tool :D.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Would either of you happen to have numbers to back up suggested theory? I'd like to know the avg mpg after driving 10 miles, stopping once every mile and accelerating back to the speed limit, for automatic versus slap stick. (sorry, I'm a math nerd). I would do this myself, but I'm getting on a plane in about an hour. I won't be back until Tuesday and the anticipation will kill me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really wasn't suggesting an in/decrease in fuel consumption, just the feel of up and down shifting manually at a resonable RPM. To go from 3rd to 4th at about 1300 RPM and 35 MPH is not good. Any motor will run better and last longer if you allow it to reach a semi unloaded state (near designed VE) before reloading with a higher gear. I know I've got a vehicle now that gets very good mileage. Motors need to aspirate and not be loaded down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the PCM/ECU is set to shift at those points it isn't going to load, lug, stress your engine. Drive any purely automatic toyota corolla, hyundai elantra, etc they will do the same thing and its normal.

My wife has a 2009 Elantra and it shifts early and revs low.
I have to disagree with that one. My other car is an 07 Matrix, and the difference is night and day between the shift rpm's. This seems to be a common issue with the Forte. Has anyone ever driven another model of Kia to see if the shift issues are isolated to the one model is it like this in others?

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I find taking off the stability control also adds a whole new dimension to driving the 5AT.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not driven any other Kia product but I've driven alot of different cars and trucks in my life. This car shifts early and is probably by design. I'm ok with that but I want more than 100K miles out of this. I know what happens to labored motors. Crank, piston pin and rod bearings suffer when your not generating enough torque from the flywheel, it's ICE 101. Not to mention building deposits quicker. It's the old "take her out on the highway and blow her out" routine but done in normal city driving. Rev her up a little and keep her clean :D.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. On the way home from work, I slap sticked all the way. Yup, between 2500 and 3000 the car responds like looks ;). I like this car...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I recall an episode of top gear a few years ago. Jeremy Clarkson had an old kia optima. It had a manual transmission and he said "this car is unique. It has a 4-speed manual. 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8th."

·
Registered
316 Posts
part 1 (with kia rio/hyundai accent):

part 2 (with magentis):

i wonder what they'd say about the new lineup of hyundai/kia cars...they've certainly improved by leaps and bounds since then

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great vids JG, I've never heard of some of those cars. I think at least Kia has made a quantum leap forward.

Ah c'mon Michael, try it, you'll like it :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I tried slap sticking the whole drive yesterday and it's definitely more fun when you're accelerating, but anytime you down shift it is violent and seems like it wants to over-rev the motor even when I had my foot OFF the gas. So what I did was put it back into D when I needed to come to a stop, then once I am stopped I put it back into manual mode.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I tried slap sticking the whole drive yesterday and it's definitely more fun when you're accelerating, but anytime you down shift it is violent and seems like it wants to over-rev the motor even when I had my foot OFF the gas. So what I did was put it back into D when I needed to come to a stop, then once I am stopped I put it back into manual mode.
I agree, the only time i downshift is if i'm on the highway in 4th and am going to pass someone....i'll tap it down to 3rd to get the extra oomph and then back up. But when i come to an exit/lights/stop i just put it in D and let the car to it for me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey ryude,

Agreed, pretty violent...feels good :D. I usually only up shift. Even though it seems like it will never happen, it will down shift automatically back down through the gears. Just seems like it stays in a high gear forever as you decelerate.

Don

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey ryude,

Agreed, pretty violent...feels good :D. I usually only up shift. Even though it seems like it will never happen, it will down shift automatically back down through the gears. Just seems like it stays in a high gear forever as you decelerate.

Don
I wonder if that is bad for the tranny/motor to let it decelerate the way it does?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, I would think it's not at all good but a few times won't hurt :D. The manufacturer would not have featured a slap stick if it would shorten the life expectancy of the drive train under 10/100,000.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts