Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When turning the steering wheel there is a sliding sound (~6000 miles) that just started recently. When in for routine service I told the service advisor, and he said that they had the same issue the prior week and after lots of troubleshooting and talking with Kia, they determined that it was a normal sound.

Seems odd to me. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does it sound like its cranking, hissing, or squeaking? If so, that what happened to mine around 4000 miles. It turned out to be a bad steering column and they replaced it within the week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it sound like its cranking, hissing, or squeaking? If so, that what happened to mine around 4000 miles. It turned out to be a bad steering column and they replaced it within the week.
kind of like a hissing sound, like if two pieces of plastic are barely touching each other as the wheel turns. No cranking or squeaking though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
kind of like a hissing sound, like if two pieces of plastic are barely touching each other as the wheel turns. No cranking or squeaking though.
That may be all it is. Just in case, they should probably look at that column. If nothing else, they could just find those plastic parts while they take it apart. Every car is bound to have its own problems. A big recall fix would have been made if it was anything crazy and widespread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That may be all it is. Just in case, they should probably look at that column. If nothing else, they could just find those plastic parts while they take it apart. Every car is bound to have its own problems. A big recall fix would have been made if it was anything crazy and widespread.
I'm thinking the same thing. They did say that they took apart another car recently and found nothing wrong, even after contacting Kia. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, but it doesn't sound widespread.

Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have noticed a sound in the steering wheel, like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other since I did the test drive before even buying the car!
You can notice it especially when you are stationary and doing manoeuvres with radio off!
I then jumped into another one and tried, same noise, and now that I got mine, 3rd one that I tried has the same noise...
So I would say they are all like this...unless they are all faulty :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone,
I have noticed a sound in the steering wheel, like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other since I did the test drive before even buying the car!
You can notice it especially when you are stationary and doing manoeuvres with radio off!
I then jumped into another one and tried, same noise, and now that I got mine, 3rd one that I tried has the same noise...
So I would say they are all like this...unless they are all faulty :)
So i took mine back on, told the service advisorswas going on and that i was concerned that it was a safety issue. They checked it out and are now replacing the entire steering column.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So i took mine back on, told the service advisorswas going on and that i was concerned that it was a safety issue. They checked it out and are now replacing the entire steering column.
Did they find where the sound comes from? Did they explain? Or they are changing it just in case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No they didn't. I assume that they have had enough of these that they just do it. I also assume that they got approval from Kia corporate

·
Registered
6 Posts
When turning the steering wheel there is a sliding sound (~6000 miles) that just started recently. When in for routine service I told the service advisor, and he said that they had the same issue the prior week and after lots of troubleshooting and talking with Kia, they determined that it was a normal sound.

Seems odd to me. Anyone else have this issue?
No but on all flat roads with the lane assist off it veers to lmthe right. I brought it in they said its normal and its sensitive electronic stearing.
I think these service advisors are getting lazy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello :)
News?

Hello, sorry for my tardy reply.... the steering column assembly was backordered for a month, but yesterday we had a new one installed, and it sounds and feels like NEW AGAIN!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, sorry for my tardy reply.... the steering column assembly was backordered for a month, but yesterday we had a new one installed, and it sounds and feels like NEW AGAIN!
Great!!
So noise is gone!
Wonderful

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh snap, that whirling noise is not normal? Mine started at some point and i'm not sure when. I am at 21k miles now. 2020 kia forte gt-line.

It happens when you turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees in either direction and is noticeable when the radio is obviously off.

I'm wondering if the issue will ever come back for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh snap, that whirling noise is not normal? Mine started at some point and i'm not sure when. I am at 21k miles now. 2020 kia forte gt-line.

It happens when you turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees in either direction and is noticeable when the radio is obviously off.

I'm wondering if the issue will ever come back for you.
I heard the sound instantly when turning the wheel, especially when starting from a stop when turning, like parking or backing up. It was a noticeable thing that came on suddenly. I hope it doesn't return!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also had a bad steering column. It was replace at 9k miles. Every time I turned the wheel it sounded like a rubbing noise. Make sure your car is in alignment after. My KIA dealer didn’t even check my alignment and said in the past there was no need to re align the car after changing the steering components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for this thread... I just bought a 2020 Forte GT with 15k miles, and I'm having 2 issues.
1) the rubbing of the steering column... I'll take to the dealer to check out based on what I have read here.
2) whizzing sound when higher RPMs are asked of by my foot, moreso when the turbo kicks in... the car does have a CAI installed - it this normal? It's pretty annoying each time I giddy-up, whizzing sound comes up. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts