Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
oh snap, that whirling noise is not normal? Mine started at some point and i'm not sure when. I am at 21k miles now. 2020 kia forte gt-line.

It happens when you turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees in either direction and is noticeable when the radio is obviously off.

I'm wondering if the issue will ever come back for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just took my car in to have them take a look at this issue (2020 kia forte gt-line). They acknowledged the issue and said they would let me know once Kia gets back with them. I'll keep this thread posted on the results.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just took my car in to have them take a look at this issue (2020 kia forte gt-line). They acknowledged the issue and said they would let me know once Kia gets back with them. I'll keep this thread posted on the results.
Still waiting on Kia. They acknowledged the problem but the dealers have sold their loaners as used cars so they have me in a waiting line.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's not normal. It is essentially silent when it's right. I'd press them hard on a replacement
This. Mine was silent at purchase. Then it gradually got to the point where it was Everytime I turned when I would make hard turns with the wheel backing up out of parking spaces. Now at 30k miles it is very loud and every time the wheel moves. It's obvious it will get worse.

Dealership is having me drop mine off for the repair tomorrow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have this sliding sound - does it change depending on the telescopic position of the steering wheel - pulling the wheel closer to you or further away?
sorry, not sure. Did not check. I took it to the dealership and let them look at it. Just so you are aware kia corp has an official service bulletin on this issue they just havent done a full recall yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
According to revisions 5 and 6 of the Kia TSB CHA084_R5/R6 they can now replace the worm gear and don't have to replace the entire steering column...but do you want the local dealer to replace such an important piece?!?!

Kia Global Information System - TSB (nhtsa.gov)
not much of a choice. The dealership called me yesterday to let me know the worm gear is what they are going to replace.

they also found a bad strut mount on the passenger side (been making squeek noises for 5k miles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I get the "swish" sound slightly only when it's cold outside and I turn the steering wheel really fast.
that is how it starts. It will get worse with time. There is an official service bulletin on this and tou have to bring it up as an issue for them to fix it. I was told by my local dealership they were instructed by kia corporate to not bring up the issue proactively with customers.

service texhnicians were also told not to alert customers of any leaks they find invehicles.

weird.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had that noise in the steering column on my 2019. Knowing MDPs and that if it dies you have no steering, I pointed the danger out to my dealer and explained my lawyer loved suing people. My column was ordered that day and for 2 weeks I drove a new Tucson on Hyundai's dime. Do not let them play games with you. Examples of Problem at car complaints. Refer to the first issue reported at the bottom of the page.
No reason to get cross with the dealership on this one. They can submit to kia and once approved the dealership actually makes money in this. Its kia corp that loses.

just a tip. Do not attempt to get multiple things done at once. Kia will flag that as a dealership throwing parts at a problem and will elongate the entire process. My dealership is still fighting with kia over my steering column because they also attempted to fix a grinding noise in my passenger side front wheel which consisted of them replacing both strunt mounts (300 dollars in parts)

overall i love my 2020 kia forte gt-line. I drove it off the lot in 2019 for 20,800 dollars with the advanced package (auto climate and all that jazz) and all the extras like auto dimming rearview.

i had a bad experience buying it (besides the price) and kia corporate gave me 3 years of maintenace for free. I litterally juststarted paying for oil changes like this year (i change oil every 3k miles)

i had my steering column replaces and the 2 front strut mounts. They are still getting me in line to fix that wheel (does not affect driving) and my driver aide back window sometimes does not roll down when itsraining hard or its extreme cold outside.

all in all i have a great car that gets 42 mpg on my way to work. I got 50 mph one time but it involved me goinf 55 to work in hwys and driving like a long range racer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is a very good reason when the dealer tells you it's normal. Your life is more important than being lied too.
i get being mad but if you search on this very forum the service bulletin id is available. All you have to do is show them that so they can pull it up in their system.

from there they just start the process. No reason to get mad. There are smarter ways of going about it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts