Kia Forte Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
can someone video their sound and upload it. I would like to compare.
It has already been at the dealer for 12 days. Apparently, there is only 1 master technician at the whole dealer that can look at advanced issues such as this due to lack of training in these Covid times. Some guys are only 2-3 classes away from being a master tech, but since the work is in-person class training, things are on hold. Only 1 master tech for most of the Kia dealers in the Birmingham, AL area, so all dealers are suffering in their service departments. I took mine in for the steering wheel column rubbing noise. It didn't sound major, but there shouldn't be any noise... Once I find out my issue and the fix, I'll update it here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It has already been at the dealer for 12 days. Apparently, there is only 1 master technician at the whole dealer that can look at advanced issues such as this due to lack of training in these Covid times. Some guys are only 2-3 classes away from being a master tech, but since the work is in-person class training, things are on hold. Only 1 master tech for most of the Kia dealers in the Birmingham, AL area, so all dealers are suffering in their service departments. I took mine in for the steering wheel column rubbing noise. It didn't sound major, but there shouldn't be any noise... Once I find out my issue and the fix, I'll update it here.
I have a 2020 LXS. Rubbing noise form steering column. They replaced most of the column. Be sure to check alignment and see if your steering wheel is dead center when going straight. I had out of an alignment and the steering wheel was more than a few degrees off dead straight. I had them realign the car and they almost for the steering wheel straight. I won’t go back to the dealer I purchased from I had other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 LXS. Rubbing noise form steering column. They replaced most of the column. Be sure to check alignment and see if your steering wheel is dead center when going straight. I had out of an alignment and the steering wheel was more than a few degrees off dead straight. I had them realign the car and they almost for the steering wheel straight. I won’t go back to the dealer I purchased from I had other issues.

Thanks - good to know regarding the alignment, especially with my GT model, the bottom of the steering wheel is flat, so that would look even more stupid if not aligned correctly. I talked to them today, and due to them only having 1 master tech (and lack of in-person training due to Covid to get others certified), they said they hope to have everything done by Tuesday next week, 12/22/20. I had them check the steering wheel, and the minor clicking/ticking noise on a cold start.This thing only has 15K miles on it, so at least it's all under warranty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks - good to know regarding the alignment, especially with my GT model, the bottom of the steering wheel is flat, so that would look even more stupid if not aligned correctly. I talked to them today, and due to them only having 1 master tech (and lack of in-person training due to Covid to get others certified), they said they hope to have everything done by Tuesday next week, 12/22/20. I had them check the steering wheel, and the minor clicking/ticking noise on a cold start.This thing only has 15K miles on it, so at least it's all under warranty.
I had 9k miles on it when I needed a
New steering column AND both headlights replaced due to a lot of moisture in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those following, I talked to KIA today (12/28), and after waiting 3 weeks, they FINALLY approved the replacement of the entire steering column. There is a small part within the steering column that can be replaced, but for some reason, KIA would rather replace the entire thing. That single part is unable to be ordered by itself. It has now been ordered and should be installed this Wednesday, 12/30/20. I'll shoot an update here on whether or not the issue is fixed when I pick it up. If it isn't, we're going to have a serious problem. From what I can tell, KIA has a REAL problem approving things at corporate - I'm not sure if this is Covid-related or not (the delay), but 3 weeks is simply unacceptable IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed that whirling sound too in my 2020 Forte FE. I thought it was odd, but normal since it's electric steering.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've noticed that whirling sound too in my 2020 Forte FE. I thought it was odd, but normal since it's electric steering.
You sure it’s normal? Mine just kept getting louder and now it’s dead silent after getting the parts replaced

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I got my car back on 12/30, and the whole steering column had been replaced since they don't replace parts of the column (all or nothing). It took forever for KIA to approve the warranty fix - 3 weeks+. IMO, too long. In any case, the plastic rubbing sound has been eliminated with the new steering column being installed when turning the wheel at low speeds or in reverse. All is fixed. I don't know what the cost would have been because on the invoice, everything was zero'd out due to being under warranty. No hours, rates, or anything. So if you have a Forte (GT) that makes rubbing noises in the steering column area when you're backing up into a parking spot or going forward slowly, you likely have the same issue I did and will need the whole steering column changed out. Hope that helps other with similar issues.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts