Kia Forte Forum banner

sliding sound when turning the steering wheel: 2020 Kia Forte sedan

32K views 78 replies 26 participants last post by  Destonomos 
#1 ·
When turning the steering wheel there is a sliding sound (~6000 miles) that just started recently. When in for routine service I told the service advisor, and he said that they had the same issue the prior week and after lots of troubleshooting and talking with Kia, they determined that it was a normal sound.

Seems odd to me. Anyone else have this issue?

#6 ·
Hi everyone,
I have noticed a sound in the steering wheel, like two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other since I did the test drive before even buying the car!
You can notice it especially when you are stationary and doing manoeuvres with radio off!
I then jumped into another one and tried, same noise, and now that I got mine, 3rd one that I tried has the same noise...
So I would say they are all like this...unless they are all faulty :)

#17 ·
oh snap, that whirling noise is not normal? Mine started at some point and i'm not sure when. I am at 21k miles now. 2020 kia forte gt-line.

It happens when you turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees in either direction and is noticeable when the radio is obviously off.

I'm wondering if the issue will ever come back for you.

#20 ·
Thanks for this thread... I just bought a 2020 Forte GT with 15k miles, and I'm having 2 issues.
1) the rubbing of the steering column... I'll take to the dealer to check out based on what I have read here.
2) whizzing sound when higher RPMs are asked of by my foot, moreso when the turbo kicks in... the car does have a CAI installed - it this normal? It's pretty annoying each time I giddy-up, whizzing sound comes up. Thanks.

#23 ·
It has already been at the dealer for 12 days. Apparently, there is only 1 master technician at the whole dealer that can look at advanced issues such as this due to lack of training in these Covid times. Some guys are only 2-3 classes away from being a master tech, but since the work is in-person class training, things are on hold. Only 1 master tech for most of the Kia dealers in the Birmingham, AL area, so all dealers are suffering in their service departments. I took mine in for the steering wheel column rubbing noise. It didn't sound major, but there shouldn't be any noise... Once I find out my issue and the fix, I'll update it here.

#27 ·
For those following, I talked to KIA today (12/28), and after waiting 3 weeks, they FINALLY approved the replacement of the entire steering column. There is a small part within the steering column that can be replaced, but for some reason, KIA would rather replace the entire thing. That single part is unable to be ordered by itself. It has now been ordered and should be installed this Wednesday, 12/30/20. I'll shoot an update here on whether or not the issue is fixed when I pick it up. If it isn't, we're going to have a serious problem. From what I can tell, KIA has a REAL problem approving things at corporate - I'm not sure if this is Covid-related or not (the delay), but 3 weeks is simply unacceptable IMO.

#30 ·
So I got my car back on 12/30, and the whole steering column had been replaced since they don't replace parts of the column (all or nothing). It took forever for KIA to approve the warranty fix - 3 weeks+. IMO, too long. In any case, the plastic rubbing sound has been eliminated with the new steering column being installed when turning the wheel at low speeds or in reverse. All is fixed. I don't know what the cost would have been because on the invoice, everything was zero'd out due to being under warranty. No hours, rates, or anything. So if you have a Forte (GT) that makes rubbing noises in the steering column area when you're backing up into a parking spot or going forward slowly, you likely have the same issue I did and will need the whole steering column changed out. Hope that helps other with similar issues.

#41 ·
According to revisions 5 and 6 of the Kia TSB CHA084_R5/R6 they can now replace the worm gear and don't have to replace the entire steering column...but do you want the local dealer to replace such an important piece?!?!

Kia Global Information System - TSB (nhtsa.gov)

#46 ·
My 2020 GT started making this noise. I think the hot weather exacerbates it. I'm at 5,700 miles. I guess I'll have to take it to the dealership... But I might wait a bit for it to get worse, to avoid the "normal" response.

Thanks to the members who posted video and the actual TSB.

#48 ·
that is how it starts. It will get worse with time. There is an official service bulletin on this and tou have to bring it up as an issue for them to fix it. I was told by my local dealership they were instructed by kia corporate to not bring up the issue proactively with customers.

service texhnicians were also told not to alert customers of any leaks they find invehicles.

weird.

#49 · (Edited)
I had that noise in the steering column on my 2019. Knowing MDPs and that if it dies you have no steering, I pointed the danger out to my dealer and explained my lawyer loved suing people. My column was ordered that day and for 2 weeks I drove a new Tucson on Hyundai's dime. Do not let them play games with you. Examples of Problem at car complaints. Refer to the first issue reported at the bottom of the page.

#50 · (Edited)
No reason to get cross with the dealership on this one. They can submit to kia and once approved the dealership actually makes money in this. Its kia corp that loses.

just a tip. Do not attempt to get multiple things done at once. Kia will flag that as a dealership throwing parts at a problem and will elongate the entire process. My dealership is still fighting with kia over my steering column because they also attempted to fix a grinding noise in my passenger side front wheel which consisted of them replacing both strunt mounts (300 dollars in parts)

overall i love my 2020 kia forte gt-line. I drove it off the lot in 2019 for 20,800 dollars with the advanced package (auto climate and all that jazz) and all the extras like auto dimming rearview.

i had a bad experience buying it (besides the price) and kia corporate gave me 3 years of maintenace for free. I litterally juststarted paying for oil changes like this year (i change oil every 3k miles)

i had my steering column replaces and the 2 front strut mounts. They are still getting me in line to fix that wheel (does not affect driving) and my driver aide back window sometimes does not roll down when itsraining hard or its extreme cold outside.

all in all i have a great car that gets 42 mpg on my way to work. I got 50 mph one time but it involved me goinf 55 to work in hwys and driving like a long range racer.

#53 ·
TSB Document:

Affected Component: STEERING
Summary
A bearing noise may develop within the Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) column of the housing worm gear assembly. If bearing noise is heard, follow the procedure in this bulletin and if necessary, replace the steering column and housing.

When the service advisor tells me it's normal to have the noise when I know damn well it ain't and then yes I'm going to have a problem with it.