Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this hinted at and discussed some in a few posts. I have a 2.0 koup and when accelerating it tends to lag specially if the rpms drop then I try to accelerate. An example if I hit around 40 then let off the gas and the rpms drop and then I hit it again it takes 2 sec or so to respond. I was told to change to a light weight pulley and that should help. Can anyone explain what the deal is. It was actually a little scary when I was pulling into traffic and trying to accelerate out of the way of oncoming traffic and it lags. I really dont feeling like getting squished because or crap engineering. Please help if at all possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it happened with my yaris a little bit actually, if i do a steady speed and then slam on the accelerator there is a slight delay for the car to take off. I got a whole lightweight pulley system, crank 10% underdrive, water pump and altenator pulley all replaced by light weight ones and it killed the response problem.

But i believe the good solution to your problem would be the lightweight pulley, you will probably get better response when accelerating, etc.

But anyone who has owned a car that mods it ive heard say usually the best mod to do first is a light weight crank pulley then suspension. :) your choice, my opinion

·
Registered
973 Posts
yes it an automatic
All auto's I've ever had have had a minor problem like the one you mentioned, if it's more of a major hiccup, then lightening the load probably really would be your best bet, like getting the lighter pulleys and such. I've also read that the new kia auto trannys are prone to weird things like that because of the gearing, another reason I went with the 5 speed manual. Good luck though, and definitely take it to the dealer so they can at least look at it and ascertain it's not a bad part or anything like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You're in the wrong gear ! You can't expect the engine to accelerate 3000 lb's if it is not developing enough torque . The torque sweet spot is between 3500 - 5500 rpm . 4 bangers with automatics are never in the right gear that is why many now include sport-shift detents . If you want to accelerate quickly , check your tach and downshift to get the engine spinning in the sweet spot ( ie. above 3500 rpm) then let'er rip . That's why high performance v8s are so much fun , just stand on it at any speed then hang on .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thank you

Thanks for all the info. I'll get with the dealership and get it resolved. I'll post any info/problems I might have. I really hope this resolves the issue.

-excluding shark's rant

·
Registered
486 Posts
shark is correct. I also have the automatic. even if you do the TSB it still will never be as resposive as downshifting before you "stomp" on it. If you dont believe it try this... Next time you are at a stop light just move the shifter over to the manual position.The car will still shift automaticly when it hits redline. Driving like that you will see that the car stays in the higher RPMS and you can get that torque you are looking for. I dont advise doing this all the time as you will drasticly reduce your MPG.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Donnovin, when talking to the dealer, keep in mind that there is a KIA TSB on "proper way to check Apaptive realearn & reset proceedures. It starts with checking for proper stall speed. Just shifting, like in the other post Does nothing.

Good luck, pls report back.

·
Registered
486 Posts
how can you say shifting does nothing... I have played around with the transmition extensively and I can assure you there is no way to get the car to stay in the "sweet spot" if you let it do the shifting. It is in this cars nature to be in 5th gear before you hit 50mph. If I do the shifting I can hold it in the sweet spot and get instant power when you "stomp" it. I am not saying that he shouldn't do the TSB. I am simply saying that as long as you let the car do the shifting he still won't get the result he and all the others who have the automatic transmition who are posting about this cars sluggish behavior want.

·
Registered
486 Posts
;)gotcha i understand we are talking about 2 different issues. Yours is to make sure they do the TSB correctly and they should and he should get it done.

I just wanted to make it clear to all the guys on here that complained (myself included) about the cars "sluggish" responce that even when TSB is done you will still be disappointed in the cars automatic shifting. I know I am. I think it is a case of us automatic guys falling in love with the looks of this thing and overlooking the performance of the transmistion when we test drove. Even if I had driven the manual and been blown away by how much more powerful it seemed I would not have gotten it because of disabilities I have that prevent me from shifting everyday. So I just leared to use the manual shift when I want to feel racey.:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I dont need to race I just want a response when I hit the gas. A 2second delay when im in low rpm means I get t-boned.

·
Registered
486 Posts
understand... i too have to admit I am slightly nervous about pulling out into traffic. the only way i feel safe doing it is by shiffting as low as the car will let me "manually" and going from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
curious how would I know if its done incorrectly? Its not like they want you back there watching every move they do..(even though I should).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts