Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EX + Eco package is supposed to add electric power steering, "Smart" alternator, 5pd auto and silica tires.

Has anyone ever tried to add the smart alternator to the 2.4 to help get better gas mileage. It should in theory free up more HP too.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hmmm not a bad idea... I'd like to see someone try.
And if you're up for a challenge, get the electric steering too!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
just a quick question. what the hell is a smart alternator.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
just a quick question. what the hell is a smart alternator.
It's an alternator that went to college before getting installed in the Forte...:)

JK...LoL!

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
3,847 Posts
It's an alternator that went to college before getting installed in the Forte EX w/Eco package...:)

Double fixed...;-P

·
Registered
46 Posts
Probably need more then just an alternator to make it work like pcm and some other things... Would be cool to have but probably too much money and effor when you can just do another mod to make up the power for much less...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but if you are running any sort of sub it would probably render the "smart" part useless as it would always be registering an inexplicable drain, therefore running the alternator no matter what.

But still a cool idea!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With more research I think the Eco Package is full of it.

The biggest differences are simply the 2.0 + 5spd.

The "aero fixes" are just tabs infront of the wheels which I've seen on all SX's. They do help check ecomodder.com they talk about hiding the wheels as part of lowering front cross section.

Depending on market the LX/EX comes with Electric power steering standard. SX gets the old style rack due to cost reasons and it's better feel/reacting.

Researching the replacement alternator and the electrical system I found the alts are the same for the 2.0 and the 2.4 with no other part number. All the cars have the battery sensor which relays parameters to the ECM.

In addition we have a fuel shutoff at around 40-50km when cruising. You can feel and hear this. If you have an SX use the instantaneous MPG gage you'll see it go to 99MPG or 0L/100KM when it's doing this shutoff. You can also hear the exhaust burble. It does it at higher speeds too but I've mostly noticed it at 40-50km some might notice that the car sort of lurches a bit at <40KM when you have your foot off the pedal that's the fuel cutoff shutting down and resuming to dump gas in to the engine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Depending on market the LX/EX comes with Electric power steering standard. SX gets the old style rack due to cost reasons and it's better feel/reacting.
I recall reading one review where the reviewer felt it was the reverse - I tried to dig up the link but couldn't find it. If I do, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With more research I think the Eco Package is full of it.

The biggest differences are simply the 2.0 + 5spd.

The "aero fixes" are just tabs infront of the wheels which I've seen on all SX's. They do help check ecomodder.com they talk about hiding the wheels as part of lowering front cross section.

Researching the replacement alternator and the electrical system I found the alts are the same for the 2.0 and the 2.4 with no other part number. All the cars have the battery sensor which relays parameters to the ECM.

In addition we have a fuel shutoff at around 40-50km when cruising. You can feel and hear this. If you have an SX use the instantaneous MPG gage you'll see it go to 99MPG or 0L/100KM when it's doing this shutoff. You can also hear the exhaust burble. It does it at higher speeds too but I've mostly noticed it at 40-50km some might notice that the car sort of lurches a bit at <40KM when you have your foot off the pedal that's the fuel cutoff shutting down and resuming to dump gas in to the engine.
This is quite an interesting information. Well, my friend was planning to buy this magneti marelli alternator as a replacement for his car but we've read in article that the 'smart alternator' is the best way to go. So my friend was having a thought if really getting the smart alternator was appropriate but having read this thread, it seems that the smart alternator still got some issues. Do you think it's worth getting it or not? Any opinions would be helpful.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The money you spend on getting a smart alternator and all the $$ to actually get it to work would take away from any savings you would actually save.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The money you spend on getting a smart alternator and all the $$ to actually get it to work would take away from any savings you would actually save.
That's pretty orthodox wisdom neon, we are talking +2 mpg so you are spot on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts