Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I couldn't help it :D

It took me over an hour to go a measly 3.5 miles tonight here in the burbs of Hartford. We got slammed tonight with about 8" so far and it's still coming down. Now, I'm no stranger to snow, I grew up in the great white central minnesota, so I know how to drive in the white stuff. Although the snow tonight is quite wet and especially slippery, the Koup with stock Goodyear Eagles SUCK A**! That was maybe the scariest experience I've ever had driving a car. I turned off the stability control not only for trying to get up slight inclines, but even going downhill with my foot off ALL the pedals the rear end was fishtailing all over the place, forcing me to accelerate to keep it straight but then try to slow it down going down the hills.

WHY was I out in that you ask? Well, our incredibly talented weather teams here in Hartford only predicted about 1-3" and things were just getting going when I left to go to the gym. When I came out about an hour later, there was already close to 6" I live in a very hilly area and it was mostly uphill going, but coming home I had to crawl down the hills to keep from losing control. My neighborhood is up a steep hill so I had to park my Koup and ditch it in the grocery store parking lot about half a mile away and walk home. I snapped about a dozen pics before I left her there all alone just in case the parking lot snow plows get a little careless.

When I left it by pagarigan, on Flickr

When I came back to check on it 1.5 hrs later by pagarigan, on Flickr

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love ur threads title haha. But I totally agree w u on that. The uphills r the worst. I'd get snow tires but tryin to save up for other things rite now. I'm kinda upset how it sucks in the snow my old car was a chevy cavalier aka ghettolier (my name for it) lmao and it was totally stock and handled like a champ

·
Registered
120 Posts
Invest in some good winter tires. You won't regret it and it won't cost you anything in the long run because you extend the life of your summer tires. To drive without winter tires in your area is just not smart.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awww crap, maybe it's time to take the plunge and get the damn winter tires. I'm gonna get sooooo much S$*# for this from my buddies since I'm the one always saying they're a waste of $$. Same here Koupchick, I had a corolla and a front wheel drive volvo through many bad winter storms and they all handled perfectly on their all season tires.

I can guarantee too that the second I buy the tires, we'll have no more snow for the rest of the winter!! Then I'll look like all the other dumb-A**'s driving around on snows! :) After all, this is only the second time it's actually snowed here and accumulated.

·
Registered
567 Posts
WEH WEH WEH. I should of taken a picture of how much snow I got last week. I was keeping track of how high it was by my rims (I have 17s). By the next morning you couldnt even see my wheels. My moms Impala was parked right infront of the garage so all the snow from the roof fell on top of it as well and on the hood of the car it was higher than I am (I'm 6'5) We got close to 3 feet, my moms car was about 7 feet haha

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great Title!!! Very clever. I will have to take some picks of my car. We have a large snow storm coming across TN for the next two days so I'll post some snow pics as well. . . .

Sedan E handles like a champ though. . . .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't worry about your friends. Winter tires are a smart choice. If they save you from even just one minor fender bender, they will automatically save you a bundle. You're right that it might not snow anymore, but who knows? You could likely still get freezing rain and that's where the winter tires will really shine. All I know is I could not imagine anyone having to park their car in a parking lot because they could not make it up an incline to their home. That just does not seem right. You'll love winter tires. I know you had good results with other cars on 4 seasons, but once you go to winters you will never go back. The feel of driving on snow with good grip (that makes you feel like you're driving on dry pavement) is just awesome and fun.

For your safety and that of others, once you get the tires, I still suggest you drive like you didn't have the winter tires. I always say the same thing to ppl with 4 wheel drive cars.

BTW Costco is a good place to get your winter tires. I don't know how it works there, but here you get free installation every time you need to switch from summer/winter or winter/summer as long as you bought one set of tires at costco and they are on rims. Plus, they fill them with nitrogen, which is an extra at most other garages (if they even offer nitrogen). And they use a torque wrench. I have Michelin X-ice and they are fantastic.

All the best!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was waiting for someone to use that pun....

i had the same problem though, i could barely make it up any sort of incline with the stock LS2's. I had the blizzaks put on between christmas and new years, and I am SOOOO happy i did, the difference is night and day!!!
The blizzaks ran me $684 to put them on the SX wheels at Firestone (that includes labor). Buying them from tirerack, shipping, and then finding a shop around here to put them on probably would have ended up around the same price. It might not seem worth it at it first but when you need them you are really glad you spent the money!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Any cars without proper winter tires is shit in the snow.
Totally disagree...I've had a good number of cars (2 cavaliers, 2 dodge stratus', Mazda Protege, and a Mazda rx7), and never ever had a problem with the snow and never ran snow tires...However, the first snow we got (2", light and fluffy but also a little wet), and my sedan was horrible. All over the road. front end all over the place, and getting pulled into the next lane. It was the most uneasy drive home in 19 years of driving. With these cars snow tires are a must or at least really good all-seasons. I swapped out my stock Hankooks and put on some Goodyear Eagles which aren't the best either but haven't had any problem since then, including the 8" we got in the last few days....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Winters require winter tires. Anything less is gambling with your health and the health of others, no matter how well you think 4 seaons do in winter, they are simply the right tire for winter conditions. Why risk it?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Totally disagree...I've had a good number of cars (2 cavaliers, 2 dodge stratus', Mazda Protege, and a Mazda rx7), and never ever had a problem with the snow and never ran snow tires...However, the first snow we got (2", light and fluffy but also a little wet), and my sedan was horrible. All over the road. front end all over the place, and getting pulled into the next lane. It was the most uneasy drive home in 19 years of driving. With these cars snow tires are a must or at least really good all-seasons. I swapped out my stock Hankooks and put on some Goodyear Eagles which aren't the best either but haven't had any problem since then, including the 8" we got in the last few days....
I have the Goodyear Eagle LS's stock and they are god awful.

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^^ ditto the eagles are trash and mine are down to 4/32 already and I almost slid into someone on a corner on my way home... but the dealer says they're fine... I only have 6600 miles on my car damnit how is that fine!!! they start at 11/32 by july they were at 7/32 and now at 4/32 is ridiculous... look out snows here i come, only problem is 150 a piece ouch..

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I trashed the LS1 at 13,000 I mean trashed.. they were so thin on the insides they were starting to blister scary stuff!
honestly those stock tires make all season tires look bad, hell they make any tire look better then them.. and too think when I bought the car I thought hey cool goodyears HAHAHAHA jokes on me!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the Goodyear Eagle LS's stock and they are god awful.
YEP...I said they aren't the best in the world, but they are frigging better than the shitty Hankooks!!!

And I totally agree with topspin.....Anyone that lives in a snowbelt, or any region with bad winter weather should invest in snow tires. But of course it's a additional cost that not everyone can live with. That's why I pulled the Goodyears my previous wheels that had 10k on them. As mediocre as the Goodyears are they easily beat out the Hankooks which only had 2800 miles on them when I relieved them of duty!

Honestly, why are we calling these shitty tires all-season when they are technically bi-season? Lets quit the mind games, call them what they really are!

·
Registered
120 Posts
And I totally agree with topspin.....Anyone that lives in a snowbelt, or any region with bad winter weather should invest in snow tires. But of course it's a additional cost that not everyone can live with.
See I really don't believe there is much additional cost if you factor in the fact that you're saving your summer tires when you get your winter shoes. The only additional cost is in the rims and the swapping (unless you go to costco which is free).

But honestly I believe that, if someone can't afford the proper tires for winter, then they really should not buy the car. This needs to be factored in before making a purchase and viewed as the necessity that it is (much like insurance, fuel, registration costs).

·
Registered
536 Posts
See I really don't believe there is much additional cost if you factor in the fact that you're saving your summer tires when you get your winter shoes. The only additional cost is in the rims and the swapping (unless you go to costco which is free).

But honestly I believe that, if someone can't afford the proper tires for winter, then they really should not buy the car. This needs to be factored in before making a purchase and viewed as the necessity that it is (much like insurance, fuel, registration costs).
Sorry topspin, we are going to have to agree to disagree. First off this is my first brand new car because I honestly couldn't afford the payment for a new car in the past. I have had several newer cars in the past and none, I repeat none of them were this horrible in the snow. Even with used all season tires my used cars definitely outperformed my Sedan in the snow. I eliminated the problem by throwing another set of used tires with over 10k on them. When the first snow fell I had less than 3k miles on those crappy Hankooks. That tells me that Kia dropped the ball by installing shit tires. When I buy a car brand new with less than 10 miles on it, I don't expect to have to buy one single thing for it.

I love my Forte don't get me wrong, but the aforementioned Hankook tires are obviously junk, given all the threads about them on in the forum. So I think that Kia really needs to supply a better tire since so many other people are having the same problem. I think most would agree they weren't expecting to have to buy new tires when buying a brand new car because your right, the cost of full coverage insurance, fuel, and registration fees burns a big enough hole in my pocket as it is! Not to mention the car payment.

I am not sure about your car budget but mine didn't include an extra 400-600 bucks for winter tires and steelies that I never needed in the past. Since I live in the Ohio snowbelt, winters can get pretty bad and I have never felt as uncomfortable in a car as I did in this car w/ the factory supplied Hankooks which I know are the problem. I think driving smart in the snow is just as if not more important that snow tires considering most people I know drive without snow tires. I drive substantially slower in the snow, leave extra early so I am not feeling rushed to get to my destination, brake extra early, and try not to make erratic lane changes or braking. I have never had a problem in the snow. Until this car I have always felt just as comfortable driving in the snow since I took my drivers ed classes in the winter as well as my drivers test. I just don't appreciate someone saying I should have figured in the additional cost of brand new tires for a brand new car that has brand new tires on it. Not to mention that I shouldn't have bought the car at all.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts