Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I couldn't help it :D

It took me over an hour to go a measly 3.5 miles tonight here in the burbs of Hartford. We got slammed tonight with about 8" so far and it's still coming down. Now, I'm no stranger to snow, I grew up in the great white central minnesota, so I know how to drive in the white stuff. Although the snow tonight is quite wet and especially slippery, the Koup with stock Goodyear Eagles SUCK A**! That was maybe the scariest experience I've ever had driving a car. I turned off the stability control not only for trying to get up slight inclines, but even going downhill with my foot off ALL the pedals the rear end was fishtailing all over the place, forcing me to accelerate to keep it straight but then try to slow it down going down the hills.

WHY was I out in that you ask? Well, our incredibly talented weather teams here in Hartford only predicted about 1-3" and things were just getting going when I left to go to the gym. When I came out about an hour later, there was already close to 6" I live in a very hilly area and it was mostly uphill going, but coming home I had to crawl down the hills to keep from losing control. My neighborhood is up a steep hill so I had to park my Koup and ditch it in the grocery store parking lot about half a mile away and walk home. I snapped about a dozen pics before I left her there all alone just in case the parking lot snow plows get a little careless.

When I left it by pagarigan, on Flickr

When I came back to check on it 1.5 hrs later by pagarigan, on Flickr

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awww crap, maybe it's time to take the plunge and get the damn winter tires. I'm gonna get sooooo much S$*# for this from my buddies since I'm the one always saying they're a waste of $$. Same here Koupchick, I had a corolla and a front wheel drive volvo through many bad winter storms and they all handled perfectly on their all season tires.

I can guarantee too that the second I buy the tires, we'll have no more snow for the rest of the winter!! Then I'll look like all the other dumb-A**'s driving around on snows! :) After all, this is only the second time it's actually snowed here and accumulated.

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
so I had the fiance drive my car to work the next day a
LOL! I love it, you made the fiance drive your koup with no traction the next day.... :D I know that you didn't mean it that way, it just sounds funny!

BTW, I totally agree with you... The last thing I would want to buy is a set of new tires for a new car. But... to each his own I guess. This is my fourth brand new car and I've purchased many used before that! Like I said earlier, I've lived in both Ohio and Minnesota and my all-seasons have been more than adequate on my cars, all of which were front wheel drive. I also agree with Topspin and you that it's probably a good idea to have them if you have the disposable income to support them.

I've decided NOT to buy snows for the Koup, rather, I'll leave it at home when snow accumulates or is expected. I'll get by with the wifes AWD Sienna for those days... maybe I'll send the wife out in the Koup!!! LOL :eek:

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yea send her out...would like to know what she thinks! haha :)
I wouldn't dare! My wife isn't from snow country and is still scared after 3 years of living here! Every time it snows she starts wishing we were back in San Diego.

Besides she only knows two positions with the accelerator either foot off or foot all the way down on it! She'd kill herself in the winter in the Koup!

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
we got about 23 inches of snow last Wednesday... My Koup has been hibernating in the garage ever since. Roads were cleared pretty well on Friday, but every morning I've just walked past it in the garage and have taken the van. I reassure her that it's better this way, no salt to eat away at her skin, no salt pellets to chip away at her paint... This is only going to work for so long!! LOL:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.