Kia Forte Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
we got about 23 inches of snow last Wednesday... My Koup has been hibernating in the garage ever since. Roads were cleared pretty well on Friday, but every morning I've just walked past it in the garage and have taken the van. I reassure her that it's better this way, no salt to eat away at her skin, no salt pellets to chip away at her paint... This is only going to work for so long!! LOL:eek:

· Registered
196 Posts
It is better for the longevity of your Koup. It is also good that you have the option to drive a van instead. For many of us our Koup might be the only option. In my case I could take my wife's minivan but then she would be driving my Koup so that makes it no real option for me.

· Premium Member
928 Posts
trunk weight

Why would you put weight in the trunk of a FWD car :confused:
well, for one, the Koups ass end is quite light from my test-driving experience. And once you have a set of snow tires, any weight in the back to help add traction is good. My FWD sedan with snowtires sticks to the road like glue with the weight of my audio in the back. (Most of my weight is right at or just in front of the rear axel

· Registered
2 Posts
New Michelin's

We got hit by 25cm of snow here over the weekend and with winter tires the Forte hasn't gotten stuck (not being an idiot helps!). You know it's bad when the traffic report says a plow is stuck... :eek:

But I agree with others who have posted about buying winter tires being a necessity for this car. And with those who are mad about having to put out the extra $$$ after buying a new car! :mad:
Ditto!! :mad: I was livid I had to spend more money on tires...However, I'm glad I did. The Goodyear LS2s 215/45R17 (http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirepreviews/goodyear_eaglels2_bsw_detail_1000x1000.jpg) were absolute crap in Minneapolis snows. Slides everywhere and traction control kicks in every single time. Horrid...My Saturn SC1 with cheapo $50 tires did better than the Koup. :mad:

That being said, I just shelled out $800 on new Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S 225/45R17 (http://www.discounttire.com/product/tires/mmihz4.xl.jpg) and OH MY GOSH I CAN STOP! My tires don't spin in first gear! Oh my gosh I feel like I'm in control. They aren't dedicated snow tires, but they are the closest A/S tire with the most aggressive tread pattern I could find. And a $60 rebate :D

Also, the floormat on the driver's side just sucks if you get them washed in a all-service place...the rubber pulls off the carpet. I bought some mud and snow OEM mats for the Forte Sedan, and they work great too! The only difference is the driver's side locking holes don't all line up..one does so it does stay in place, but the second doesn't. so if that doesn't bother you, GO GET EM!!

· Registered
130 Posts
well, for one, the Koups ass end is quite light from my test-driving experience. And once you have a set of snow tires, any weight in the back to help add traction is good. My FWD sedan with snowtires sticks to the road like glue with the weight of my audio in the back. (Most of my weight is right at or just in front of the rear axel

I thought i read somewhere that 67% of the Koups weight is on the front tires, not a very even weight distribution if you ask me!
As I think i mentioned before, I got those blizzak ws-70s on my Koup now, wow, I feel unstoppable now in the snow! (or i guess stoppable technically)

· Registered
54 Posts
If I may throw my 2 cents in...

I live in Scranton PA, and we've been getting snow, sleet, and some ice the past 2 weeks. I grabbed 4 hankook ipike winter tires for about $680 at the end of fall.
They're obviously not as grabby as the stock eagles on dry pavement, but the hankooks are extremely impressive on wet pavement and in the recent snow/slush/ice mix we just got. I have yet to get stuck and it's all hills around here. Granted, your back end will slide a little because the car is so light, but the tires make all the difference. :D

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.