Kia Forte Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my Solo Performance Exhaust in last night and couldn't wait for the weekend so I installed it after I got off work this afternoon. I backed the Koup up on to some ramps and changed out the exhaust by myself. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest I give the install a 3. The Solo Peformance exhaust kit made it in about a week and all parts were in the kit sans install instructions -- since I've installed aftermarket exhausts on small cars before I didn't have a problem but for anyone that hasn't installed an exhaust before, instructions would be a benefit. All the Kias I've owned had exhausts that unbolt so you don't have to cut them to get them off the car -- another benefit is you only have to replace a section of the exhaust -- not the entire exhaust if part of it needs replacement.

The Solo Performance exhaust kit comes with nuts and bolts -- I'm assuming that you are supposed to remove the studs from the cat - but, I found the Solo performance fits on the OE Cat and I would rather Solo Performance provide a gasket that fits on the OE parts and provide new OE 19MM nuts in place of the nuts and bolts in the kit.

Pictures below:
1 + 2 Where the OE exhaust unbolts -- you can save the OE exhaust and reinstall it later if you want. 19 MM locknuts.
3 OE Vs Solo Performance kit
4 Shows the 2" OE pipe Vs Solo Performances pipe
5 OE exhaust reduces to 1 3/4 inch at the muffler inlet and outlet
6 Solo Performance muffler - you can see straight through it -- the exhaust can go straight through too...LoL
7 Solo Performance resonator attaches to factory Cat studs
8 Solo performance "band" clamps -- look at how they conform to the different pipe sizes - never seen that before! It is flat when you start.
9 The Solo Performance Koup version dual outlet tip
10 A shot from behind

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Driving: The Solo Performance exhaust has a very deep and throaty exhaust note. When I looked at the parts I was concerned that the noise was going to be too loud -- you can look straight through the muffler and I thought this was going to make it a little too loud for what I wanted. I was pleasantly surprised at how subtle the exhaust note is -- louder when you hit the go pedal but quiets out - or tones down - when idling or cruising. I give it 2 thumbs up! Now we'll see if I can get a little extra MPG out of her...but I doubt it since I'll probably give her a little more gas to hear the exhaust note...LoL.

I don't have a way of making videos -- and I probably wouldn't know how to upload them if I did...LoL SO unless I come across someone who knows how please don't ask...LoL!

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
You actually installed it! what ever happen to waiting till it gets warmer lol i know i know its like giving candy to a baby cant resist

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a heater in the garage...LoL! ...and all the crawling around was like exercise so I warmed up fast. ...and you're right it was like candy to a baby...couldn't wait...LoL

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey ForteSX2.4

Nice pics btw, that looks like a sweet exhaust!

I wanted to buy the same thing, but can you tell me if the exhaust is completely stainless? I mean the seams,hangers and all tubing and parts? Can you tell?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey ForteSX2.4

I wanted to buy the same thing, but can you tell me if the exhaust is completely stainless? I mean the seams,hangers and all tubing and parts? Can you tell?
From the looks of it it is all stainless -- I have an oil change coming due -- when I am under the car I'll check.

I've never seen the "band" clamps that came with the kit until now -- I was a little wary of them but it is neat the way they form to the different tube/pipe sizes! They are thin flat steel bands -- but you can see in the picture how they form to the pipes to seal them -- use a torque wrench when installing them!

Exhaust Solo Performance Pipe Clamps.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
It's all T-304 and T409 SS, except for maybe the bandclamps. Those are still SS but I can't tell you what type of SS.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hey ForteSX2.4

Is is all stainless steel:) Pipes are T409 and muffler and tips are
T304 polished stainless. Thanks for the great write up and pictures!!! I will forward your feedback to our Buffalo store, and I am sure they will be very pleased. Have a great day and thanks for your support!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
which configuration did you get? I am very interested in getting a SOLO exhaust.. also how does it sound at idle compared to stock?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
which configuration did you get? I am very interested in getting a SOLO exhaust.. also how does it sound at idle compared to stock?
I got the QR-Rez (The QR stands for Quiet Resonator), the Mach Muffler (biggest one - it is about 1" from the right rear suspension spring to just behind the tailpipe assy), and the piping is 2 1/4". Factory piping is 2" but at the muffler ends and tailpipe it drops down to 1 3/4". I wanted the quietest combo -- the idle noise is more noticable than stock but not at all obnoxious. When the engine is at high idle when cold the exhaust is louder but when it idles down after warming up it is not loud. When driving at cruise or sitting at a light the exhaust noise is a nice low and deep rumble -- it is low enough that you don't have to turn your radio up to listen to music. When accelerating there is no mistaking the difference, the car has a smooth roar (doesn't sound raspy or like mad bumblebees are in the exhaust...LoL) the resonator works great as the exhaust sounds smooth.

Wish I could tell if the performance is increased -- car feels strong but I have no way of proving any difference. I can't believe that the larger piping -- and freer flowing resonator and especially the straight-through muffler design -- doesn't free up some ponies and/or torque over the OE exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Wish I could tell if the performance is increased -- car feels strong but I have no way of proving any difference. I can't believe that the larger piping -- and freer flowing resonator and especially the straight-through muffler design -- doesn't free up some ponies and/or torque over the OE exhaust.
I have a dyno graph showing a few stallions freed up over stock.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Tebore...did you post a video/sound clip of the Solo Performance exhaust?
I guess you can say I did...

Considering that's my car in their videos.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I finally took a pic of the Dyno chart showing stock exhaust and the Solo Exhaust on my car + HF cat.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5687/photophw.jpg

As you can see the automatic transmission resorts in lower dyno readings due to the nature of automatic transmissions.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm <- Helps explain why Automatic transmissions put less power to the road than a manual.

DSG's are basically manual transmissions that can shift themselves with the help of a computer.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
The cat-back is around 3-5whp...the rest of the gains come from upgrading the cat. You will, though, feel increased throttle response from the cat-back and have a major improvement in sound. Getting tons of power out of simply a cat-back on a 4 cylinder is unrealistic.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts