Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a thread on a foglight HID install? Ive searched but to no avail...

Linky?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
i don't know if there is one, but its simple.

Remove headlights

Get under the car (you don't have to jack it, but it helps if you put it on ramps)

infront of each front tire, remove 3 plastic clips

after removing clips, push the plastic cover away, and hold it using something (you don't remove it, just push it away, it gives you direct access to the fog light from under the bumper)

reach in (without seeing) and grab the fog light bulb, twist, and the bulb will come out WITH the connector

Pull it down,

install HID, (same concept as low beams).

INstall wiring harness.

ALL these steps apply for the BOTH driver and passenger side. The driver side is easier since you can just remove the headlight, and reach down and do everything. if you need pictures, just say, i ll take a picture of the clips, then you'll know what i'm taling about.

As for mounting the ballasts, for the driver side, mine is mounted with the three other ballast on the Bumper beam,

for the passenger side, mine are mounted on the windsheild washer fluid resevoir. (you'll have to pass the fog ballast through a tight spot. ) \

PLAN B:

Remover bumper, look up bumper removal and do it, but the way i did it shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes. it took me about 25 minutes because i didn't know what to do, and i was figuring things out, and the damn stock bulb wouldn't come out of its spot.

·
Registered
769 Posts
this is how i did mine:

1. Jacked the front of the car up

2. Removed the 3 "screws" that hold the splash guard in place and pulled those back (theyre pretty flexible so dont worry about them breaking)

3. Remove the whole foglight assembly (4 screws, one per corner) I chose to remove the entire assembly because NEITHER of my bulbs wanted to turn to come out...

4. Install the HIDs, same concept as the low beams only I used electrical tape around the pins since theyre metal and metal+elements means corrosion AND it helps keep the pins in place.

5. Mount the ballasts. I chose to mount them directly underneath the headlight for 2 reasons, one being easy access for any maintenance needed and the other for the cleaner engine bay. Both ballasts (assuming you have HIDs as your low beams already) will fit underneath on top of that little bar on either side of the car underneath the headlight assembly.

And of course, use the wiring harnesses, they seem confusing when theyre bundled up but once you open them up and look at them, theyre RIDICULOUSLY straightforward and theyre a cheap safety so you dont fry your stock wires.

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
PS. Please don't forget to replace the screws/ plastic clips when your done. i know it sounds simple, but one of the times i took off the HIDS, i forgot, and drove 2 miles with it, needless to say it pretty scratched up, but didn't break. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts