Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all from new jersey. i'm looking forward to being part of the forte forumssss! im planning on buying a forte koup sx by the end of november and i'm pretty excited after today's test drive. any advice before i buy? i've never purchased a new car before. thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
welcome..im also from jersey and plan on buying a sx koup around the same time as you haha :D

what part of jersey are you from? im from the toms river area

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice haha! im from up north a little ways in morris county off 287. i'm stoked man...this is gonna be my first "nice" car. my first two have been beaters

·
Registered
55 Posts
nice haha! im from up north a little ways in morris county off 287. i'm stoked man...this is gonna be my first "nice" car. my first two have been beaters
yeah me too..i been saving months to get a decent car

i drive a beater too - 2002 dodge intrepid 140k miles its like a fucking boat haha

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
If you want to negotiate and get a cheaper price you have to be willing to leave the dealership without a car. Don't let them try to make it sound like you are getting a good deal by getting you lower monthly payments; always negotiate the final sale price. These cars don't come with an alarm so getting the alarm thrown in for free is a good thing to ask for when negotiating.

I would use the KIA website to build the exact car you want then send that request to any dealerships in your area that you would be willing to deal with. They will call you right away if they have what you want. If they don't they will still call you and tell you about their next best option. I found it to be the easiest way to gauge the inventory in my area. I wouldn't go to one dealership and have them call around for you; they usually charge you extra.

If you are willing to wait until Nov. then the 2011s should be out so you should be able to get a '10 for a good deal.

I personally skipped the extended warranty and other miscellaneous stuff they tried to sell me on, undercoating or something.

Lastly, are you in a state that has strict emission laws? Many states require new cars to be SULEV and it will reduce your horsepower a little. It might be worth going to another state to get a car that is not SULEV if you don't mind the extra taxes or fees that may come along with purchasing out of state.

Good luck with your purchase. I think you picked the perfect first new car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
yeah new jersey is strict when it comes to emissions but we arent required to have the sulev vehicles...yet

the cops are dicks when it comes to inspection, people i know have gotten pulled over because a sticker looked 'off color' aka fake. So here in NJ you either got to make sure your car will go through inspection or pay for a sticker (what i did with my old accord =p)

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
yeah new jersey is strict when it comes to emissions but we arent required to have the sulev vehicles...yet

the cops are dicks when it comes to inspection, people i know have gotten pulled over because a sticker looked 'off color' aka fake. So here in NJ you either got to make sure your car will go through inspection or pay for a sticker (what i did with my old accord =p)
Do you guys have stickers on the outside of your cars?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea we do. NJ can be pretty shitty when it comes to cars sometimes, but its nothing i haven't dealt with before between my old cavalier and my oldsmobile achieva haha. the reason i'm actually waiting until November is because my current '97 olds is due for inspection in september, and its NOT going to pass. they give us 45 days to fix it and with all the known failures alone, its not worth it. this car is ridiculous: its as small as a late 90's accord and as heavy as a grand marquis lol.

what i HAVEN'T dealt with before though is buying a new car and i know salesmen can be tricky, so i'm trying to get the best deal. the alarm suggestion is a really good idea i didn't even think of that. I'll definitely check the website out too. The guy made it seem like the undercoating was standard so i'll look into the options pretty carefully.

thanks alot stars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't forget that everything is negotiable regardless of what they tell you. I negotiated for my first 3 oil changes to be covered since another dealership close by offered the same thing. Even after you settle on the price of the car, options, features, freebies...your not done. Not many people know that when you go in to sign the contract with the finance person and they start offering you the extended warranty that you can get it for cheaper. What they sell the extended to you for is not what they pay...not that I think you need it on this car.

I always go onto Cars.com and pull up all the make,model,trim of the cars in the area and print it out to have in hand when I walk into a dealership so they know I will walk and go down the road if im not happy with the deal. Also note that lots jack their prices up so catch the unsuspecting buyer who jumps lot to lot looking. The window sticker on my car was higher then what the dealer advertised it on their website for. Let them know your looking at other cars/companies and don't act excited about this being the car you want.

I am 31 and have owned 12 cars of which 9 were brand new. My advice is to be smart, be patient and be in control.

·
Registered
104 Posts
welcome T....

I'm from Parsippany area so if you want to see my son's koup let me know...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks boi. he knows i want the car, but i also tried to make it clear that im not a pushover. i still have a few months to do price and option research etc. i really appreciate all of the advice!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts