Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a longer trip in my ‘21 FE (over 900 miles in one day) and it’s quite loud over long distances on the highway. I’ve read on here about sound deadening to help with this, but was hoping to get everything in one spot and clear up some confusion I have.

What sound deadening should I use if I want results on a reasonable budget?

Where should I put it to get the best results? Wheel wells? Doors? Trunk floor? Under the rear seat?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you know what kind of noise is objectionable? Is it wind noise from the windows, engine whine, tire noise or noise radiating up from the pavement through the floorboards?

I don't have a good fix for window wind noise other than going to a body shop and having the doors adjusted (it helped my 2019 Sonata).

Engine noise? The little 2.0 liter screams at highway speed. A change in the intake may help, but I think that would be wasted money. Try using cruise control to help keep the rpms steady with less revving noise.

The IVT transmission is notoriously noisy and Kia added an insulation blanket to keep some of the clatter surprised. I don't think Kia deleted this on a base model, but you never know.

I bet tire noise is a big deal here. You can change them, of course, to a quieter brand, but that is expensive and should be a consideration when you need to replace the tires. For now, experiment with tire pressure, starting at recommended pressure and going up one, two and three pounds. I bet you'll find you are low on pressure now making your tires louder than they need be

For noise coming from the floor pan, invest in some thick floor mats.

You can pull the interior and add sound deadening foil tape panels under the carpet. That will help, but it is $$$. As an alternative, some body shops or custom car houses will spray a deadener on the underside of the car.

Or you can do what I do, increase the volume of the radio.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know what kind of noise is objectionable? Is it wind noise from the windows, engine whine, tire noise or noise radiating up from the pavement through the floorboards?

I don't have a good fix for window wind noise other than going to a body shop and having the doors adjusted (it helped my 2019 Sonata).

Engine noise? The little 2.0 liter screams at highway speed. A change in the intake may help, but I think that would be wasted money. Try using cruise control to help keep the rpms steady with less revving noise.

The IVT transmission is notoriously noisy and Kia added an insulation blanket to keep some of the clatter surprised. I don't think Kia deleted this on a base model, but you never know.

I bet tire noise is a big deal here. You can change them, of course, to a quieter brand, but that is expensive and should be a consideration when you need to replace the tires. For now, experiment with tire pressure, starting at recommended pressure and going up one, two and three pounds. I bet you'll find you are low on pressure now making your tires louder than they need be

For noise coming from the floor pan, invest in some thick floor mats.

You can pull the interior and add sound deadening foil tape panels under the carpet. That will help, but it is $$$. As an alternative, some body shops or custom car houses will spray a deadener on the underside of the car.

Or you can do what I do, increase the volume of the radio.
Engine is basically silent surprisingly. It’s a manual, so I’m sure that helps. Tires are at 40psi for mileage, but noise at that pressure is about the same as at 33psi. I think it is mostly tire/road noise though.
I did the radio trick. I listen to mostly podcasts on longer trips though, so it was kinda hard to hear sometimes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Engine is basically silent surprisingly. It’s a manual, so I’m sure that helps. Tires are at 40psi for mileage, but noise at that pressure is about the same as at 33psi. I think it is mostly tire/road noise though.
I did the radio trick. I listen to mostly podcasts on longer trips though, so it was kinda hard to hear sometimes.
If you are driving 900 miles a day all the time then I understand your concern... once in awhile I think you are better off just turning the radio up. I have done a lot of crazy sound deadening stuff to cars, even did one car with some kind of sound engineer clown. With cheaper cars (we need to be honest with ourselves) the quieter the cabin gets the more squeaks, rattles, air leaks (general NVH) we will find...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had to go deep in the memory banks, but I remember my old Fox Mustang didn't have much insulation and poor tires and its noise left my ears ringing after a long trip.

Went to Sears and bought a set of thick rubber floor mats with dense carpeting. The floor mats did two things, they dampened the noise coming from under the floor, and they absorbed some of the noise inside the cabin.

Helped more than I had a right to expect.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it’s probably a ~6x a year trip to visit family. It gets really tiring like 6 or 7 hours into the 13 hour drive. Would certainly like to do something about it. Might look for some thicker mats. My factory ones are in surprisingly sad shape for only a year old. Driver one is starting to wear on the backside, and I accidentally spilled oil on one of the back ones and it messed it up (my fault - I’m still mad at myself for that one). I thought I saw a post on here about someone that did the stick-on panels and they said it helped a lot. I think it was @Hamster-GT ? Don’t really remember.

Reactions: Hamster-GT

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
429 Posts
Yeah it’s probably a ~6x a year trip to visit family. It gets really tiring like 6 or 7 hours into the 13 hour drive. Would certainly like to do something about it. Might look for some thicker mats. My factory ones are in surprisingly sad shape for only a year old. Driver one is starting to wear on the backside, and I accidentally spilled oil on one of the back ones and it messed it up (my fault - I’m still mad at myself for that one). I thought I saw a post on here about someone that did the stick-on panels and they said it helped a lot. I think it was @Hamster-GT ? Don’t really remember.
Reducing resonance on flat areas with CLD is a good start. Tires do make the biggest difference. I roll on summer tires and they are loud in the morning. I have to raise the volume to around 25 to listen to podcasts. When leaving for home, it is pretty quiet. I listen to podcasts at volume level 12. I have not hit up the inner fender underneath the car, yet. Getting the appropriate tires for ambient temperatures not only helps with noise, but also grip.

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reducing resonance on flat areas with CLD is a good start. Tires do make the biggest difference. I roll on summer tires and they are loud in the morning. I have to raise the volume to around 25 to listen to podcasts. When leaving for home, it is pretty quiet. I listen to podcasts at volume level 12. I have not hit up the inner fender underneath the car, yet. Getting the appropriate tires for ambient temperatures not only helps with noise, but also grip.
Interesting, thanks. Which brand CLD do you use? Link to where I can get some?

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
429 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Noico. Not the best, but good enough.
Perfect thank you!

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use Noico. Not the best, but good enough.
Where should I position it for the best effect?

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
429 Posts
Where should I position it for the best effect?
Start with the inner door skins. I only did my speaker locations due to me not wanting to remove the windows. Then the trunk. I applied more under the rear seat. Basically, all the flat areas. And if you're going all in, the roof. I didn't do my roof because of my sun roof. I didn't want to mess with it. Take a wooden roller and start knocking and listening for hollow tin sounds and apply there.

·
Registered
110 Posts
One last idea.

Sharkracing.com offers two soundproofing kits specifically designed for the 2019-22 Forte.

The Forte Soundproofing Kit has seven fabric pads to be fitted to the hood, front doors, trunk hatch, etc. They have holes specific to the Forte and the pads are attached with spray adhesive. Cost is $250.

The Forte Tire Well Soundproofing Kit costs $40 and is made of the same fabric as the kit above. It is also designed to be attached with spray adhesive.

·
Registered
2021 Forte GT w/GT2, Currant Red, SXTH Element Intercooler Kit, Evilla Exhaust, Takeda S2 Intake
5,137 Posts
One last idea.

Sharkracing.com offers two soundproofing kits specifically designed for the 2019-22 Forte.

The Forte Soundproofing Kit has seven fabric pads to be fitted to the hood, front doors, trunk hatch, etc. They have holes specific to the Forte and the pads are attached with spray adhesive. Cost is $250.

The Forte Tire Well Soundproofing Kit costs $40 and is made of the same fabric as the kit above. It is also designed to be attached with spray adhesive.
Good find!

2019+ Forte K3 SedanDIY Soundproofing Kit - Shark Racing

Font Sleeve Screenshot Document Paper

·
Premium Member
2022 Kia Forte GT/w GT2
15 Posts
I run a good bit of power in my trunk and it causes things to rattle. So I bought these on scAmazon,'Foam Bag for Shipping' 8 for $30, item number B091J5KZLY. Don't know if I should post the link or not. They work perfect, plus can be removed at later date. I believe that these would be great for your noise issues, and way, way cheaper. Just my two cents.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts