Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
Yeah it’s probably a ~6x a year trip to visit family. It gets really tiring like 6 or 7 hours into the 13 hour drive. Would certainly like to do something about it. Might look for some thicker mats. My factory ones are in surprisingly sad shape for only a year old. Driver one is starting to wear on the backside, and I accidentally spilled oil on one of the back ones and it messed it up (my fault - I’m still mad at myself for that one). I thought I saw a post on here about someone that did the stick-on panels and they said it helped a lot. I think it was @Hamster-GT ? Don’t really remember.
Reducing resonance on flat areas with CLD is a good start. Tires do make the biggest difference. I roll on summer tires and they are loud in the morning. I have to raise the volume to around 25 to listen to podcasts. When leaving for home, it is pretty quiet. I listen to podcasts at volume level 12. I have not hit up the inner fender underneath the car, yet. Getting the appropriate tires for ambient temperatures not only helps with noise, but also grip.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
Where should I position it for the best effect?
Start with the inner door skins. I only did my speaker locations due to me not wanting to remove the windows. Then the trunk. I applied more under the rear seat. Basically, all the flat areas. And if you're going all in, the roof. I didn't do my roof because of my sun roof. I didn't want to mess with it. Take a wooden roller and start knocking and listening for hollow tin sounds and apply there.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
I wonder how well this works. It seems like just the DIY option I would like to try. If it works well it would be great and I actually might attempt to do it myself instead of have a local shop do traditional soundproof in just the doors for 850...

Has anyone tried these?
They made my stereo louder at lower volume settings.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
What makes the car have the "solid" feel would be the CLD on the door skin and door panels. The DIY door kits are used to absorb noise. It did help with road noise noticeably, especially when my summer tires are well warmed up. In chilly 40-60 deg weather, not so much. The tires you choose will make the bigger impact on noise reduction and the panels augment them well. I did not use spray adhesives and used the adhesive stickers to mount the DIY stuff. The GT doors already have some of the same materials from the factory. It will be a tight squeeze and also recommend buying additional door clips.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
Are the door clips a generic kit type of deal or more of a parts dept/online Kia parts place thing?
Somewhat. All I did was highlight and websearched from the Kia and Hyundai online parts. Found some on ebay and amazon. Some were compatible with my Mazda. I don't have any part numbers. Sorry.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
@Hamster-GT do you happen to have a link to those clips by chance? Broke the 2 blue ones in the first door panel I took off. Thanks
I don't remember of any blue ones in the door. My car had a bunch of green ones and a few white ones.

·
Registered
2020 KIA Forte GT Manual
490 Posts
Ok, got my sound deadening installed on the easy to get to spots today (trunk floor, inside the trunk lid, under the back seat) and it’s quite nice. Quite a bit quieter. Here’s a few pictures:
View attachment 87524
View attachment 87527
View attachment 87529
View attachment 87528
View attachment 87526
View attachment 87525
Gonna do the doors next. How do they come apart? Any tips anyone has picked up? Thanks
On your subjective scale of 1-5(quietest), how quiet is a quiet bit quiter on this quiet scale, to be quiet frankly? Quiet significant?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts