Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: So it sounds pretty good. I had 2 Hifonics MX-1's crap out in a row...so I am waiting for an AudioControl unit to be released to replace it.

Just ordered all of the parts...
Kicker Solo Classic, 10", spare tire FG box
Kicker ZX700.5
Polk Audio MM6501 Fronts
Polk Audio db651 Rears
GARBAGE HERE - DO NOT BUY
Fat Mat - Mega Mat (the rubberized butyl rubber one)

Okay, got started. You can see the attachments for images of the progress.

So I kicked around how I was going to install this and decided to do an install that accomplished the following:
1. No or almost no reduction in usable cargo area
2. Kept the spare tire
3. Maintained an overall stock appearance of the car
4. Keep some of the space beneath the floor for the jack tools, flat kit and spare ammo/grenades

What you see are pictures of where I initially estimated total volume of the space I wanted to use.

I framed up an open bottom and side enclosure that will be fiberglass on the bottom and sides. The top sides will be "capped" with MDF once again and then tied into the bottom with more fiberglass. Once done, the only opening will be the speaker hole.

Next came the installation of the hinges. They're rather stout. While I don't plan on changing tires often, I wanted to be sure the screws weren't needlessly stressed by a hinge that wanted to twist when used.

There's still a chance the amp rack will move the right to lighten things up a little, but I like this option as it permits a lower amp install and room for some low profile fans. We'll see.

Fiberglass work is next. I am undecided on going ahead and molding the entire spare tire well to have a cast of it.

Let me know your thoughts.

Images added

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added some pics of the progress. Once I move the images to my site; there will be a running narrative with pictures in the correct order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thats primo!! wish I had those skills! So once your done will you still be able to use the sub floor org. or be able to put the carpeted flat oem hard cover back on to conseal/ not elimate factory functionalty? sorry for the crazy wording you just showed me what is possible in our hatchbacks!! Sweet!

so maybe a wiki how once you put all this on paper? or you just adlibing as you go along?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats primo!! wish I had those skills! So once your done will you still be able to use the sub floor org. or be able to put the carpeted flat oem hard cover back on to conseal/ not elimate factory functionalty? sorry for the crazy wording you just showed me what is possible in our hatchbacks!! Sweet!

so maybe a wiki how once you put all this on paper? or you just adlibing as you go along?
Thanks for the comments.
The plan is to maintain the passenger side storage for the jack tools, etc.

I could use the factory cover with some rework. First plan was to drill some holes and re-carpet it for the woofer and amp ventilation. I may just make a new cover for the amp/sub and a separate one for the storage side. Either way, it will look stock to the untrained eye (I hope).

The challenge with the stock hard cover is where it bends. I have some more pics coming soon.

A wiki may be forthcoming, but there a MUCH BETTER installers than myself.

What has come to mind is making some of the boxes for resale. Like plug-n-play drop ins. It would be kind of fun. I dunno yet though.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
708 Posts
very interesting.. my only concern would be does the sub have enough area to react properly?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
very interesting.. my only concern would be does the sub have enough area to react properly?
Good observation.

This is built for Solo Classic 10", rated at .66 cubic feet. I have .73 to 1.2 in the space behind the amp rack. I am estimating it larger as volume is easy to remove, but hard to make up.

A 12" Solo or even a comp VR would operate in this sealed enclosure efficiently. The space in the spare tire well is big enough that if you really wanted to, a pair of 12" solo classic subs could be run. (no spare tire though ;))

As with any enclosure, building to spec for the sub is important. The space constraints, my amp choice, the need to keep a spare and past experience with Kicker Audio is what made me go with a solo 10.

Oh...just thought about what else you may have meant... there is 1.8 inches above the top of the speaker surround. My estimates but forward movement of the cone well under this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The sub "box" is 3/4" MDF with no flat fiberglass spans over 10". It will be 2-3 layers of fiberglass woven sheeting. I am hopeful this will be strong enough as the solo's will make some serious pressure in a sealed enclosure.

I just wish there was more time to work on it. LOL damn job.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the bulk of the install done. Testing went well. Was getting ready to start dialing it in...

And then the Hifonics MX1 started blowing fuses...

It's now a chrome brick. No amount of troubleshooting yielded different results.

this sucks.

Last thing to do is to finalize these little things and wrap up the hatch compartment upholstery.

BTW, that 10" solo classic can get LOW.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks SJE.

I don't have finalized pics just yet. It's not done. I got busy and stopped working on it...soon though. Very soon. Started carpeting this weekend.

Adding two 120mm fans, black carpet, support structure for openings and a few other things to finish it off.

The enclosure is 12-15 pounds without amp and woofer. Not too bad.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
We crave pictures here, feel free to drop more pictures of every step along the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts