Kia Forte Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally blew out my right front tire yesterday. When I went to go find the spare I found there wasn’t one. I called the Kia dealership where I got my Forte and asked why there was no spare. Their answer…”it adds too much weight. Plus we offer free roadside assistance “ I had called my insurance company before calling them and they said I’m covered for roadside assistance. Only trouble is….it’s 3:15 on Sunday and I’m still waiting.
I talked with someone at the Kia dealership and he blamed me for not asking the salesperson if it had a spare. I asked if there was a weight difference between having a full car with people or stuff as opposed to having a spare. He said he didn’t know. People shouldn’thave to ask if there is a spare tire in their car they are buying. It should be automatic…YES there is a spare tire

·
Administrator
2010 Koup SX
767 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of newer vehicles aren't coming with spare tires anymore; just that sealant kit which is next to useless. I really don't think it's for weight reduction, I'm quite certain it's for cost reduction.

I think at some point in the buying/pick up process though that the buyer should be aware if there's a spare tire or not. Either by checking themselves, or exploring the vehicle with the salesperson. The buyer can also read the owner's manual as well.

You may want to consider buying a spare tire/donut and installing it in your trunk, as a few members here have done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately a lot of newer vehicles aren't coming with spare tires anymore; just that sealant kit which is next to useless. I really don't think it's for weight reduction, I'm quite certain it's for cost reduction.

I think at some point in the buying/pick up process though that the buyer should be aware if there's a spare tire or not. Either by checking themselves, or exploring the vehicle with the salesperson. The buyer can also read the owner's manual as well.

You may want to consider buying a spare tire/donut and installing it in your trunk, as a few members here have done.
Mine had no manual

·
Registered
'21 Forte FE 6-Speed
1,231 Posts
It’s both for cost savings and weight savings for EPA tests. You can add one back in for a couple hundred bucks. There’s a couple threads on here going over the process

Reactions: mobileterminaluser

·
Registered
2022 Forte GT2
123 Posts
I accidentally blew out my right front tire yesterday. When I went to go find the spare I found there wasn’t one. I called the Kia dealership where I got my Forte and asked why there was no spare. Their answer…”it adds too much weight. Plus we offer free roadside assistance “ I had called my insurance company before calling them and they said I’m covered for roadside assistance. Only trouble is….it’s 3:15 on Sunday and I’m still waiting.
I talked with someone at the Kia dealership and he blamed me for not asking the salesperson if it had a spare. I asked if there was a weight difference between having a full car with people or stuff as opposed to having a spare. He said he didn’t know. People shouldn’thave to ask if there is a spare tire in their car they are buying. It should be automatic…YES there is a spare tire
What year and trim Forte do you have?

·
Registered
2022 gt2
547 Posts
Window sticker for that year and trim confirms no spare. I would honestly not have expected that either since it was probably something that was just coming into trend with auto makers around that time.
I won’t drive around the block without a spare. If I blew a front tire I would have to swap a rear to the front and put the spare on the back because the spare donut won’t fit the front brakes. Ain’t doing that on the side of the road unless I’m desperate but I can.

·
Registered
2022 Kia Forte LXS Fire Orange
419 Posts
I wonder if the car's handling isn't better without the spare tire. The donut spare and jack are heavy, located at the back of the car where it can contribute to polar movement. Certainly less weight improves acceleration and braking, too.

Still, I'll probably get a spare tire soon. I drive too many rural roads in remote areas without cell phone coverage to rely on Kia's inflato-tire system

1 - 13 of 13 Posts